The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question to all: do flasher wrasses flash at other flasher wrasse other than its own species? Say a solo carpenter vs a group of mcosker?
Unless you got a huge tank, it is not recommended to have Flasher or Fairy wrasses of same species (or closely related) in the same tank. They will not tolerate each other once they turn male. Flashers do flash at other flashers, and other fishes.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I didn’t use acc box. I may have to put one in or try a mirror!

When adding wrasses I find it’s a good idea to use a acc box as a matter of fact no matter what fish I add to my tank I use an acc box it helps a lot.
If you can catch him put him in the acc box for a few day (the pintail that is).
I never used a mirror but I head good things about using one.

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For many months my Katherine's fairy and Mauritian flasher have been very reclusive - both species that shouldn’t be spending most of the day under a rock. I suspected my H. marginatus as the cause. While he’s never hurt anyone he is very pushy, especially around feeding time, which in my case is 5 times a day. I think him being much bigger made him even more intimidating.

I decided to catch him and move him to a cycled QT tank for two weeks, while observing the rest for any behavioral changes. To my surprise, not even an hour after removing him, the Katherine's and Mauritian were out swimming around as if they own the place.

I’ve started thinking about a Halichoeres to take his place. The candidates, in order of preference are luecurus, timorensis or biocellatus. First I’ll try to find a leucurus.

I notice online that there is quite a bit of color variation in leucurus. Is that due to differences in maturity, or are there regional variants I need to be aware of? I’m particularly attracted to the very turquoise and orange ones.

I’ve never actually seen them for sale over here, so I’ll have to get an LFS to keep an eye on the lists and special order one for me. This is why I’m asking about regional variants. I might be able to ask for a photo from the collector. Are there any physical attributes I can use to positively identify even a juvenile? Since adult size and temperament is important, I wouldn’t want to make the mistake I made with the marginatus, which was actually a biocellatus I ordered.

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a yellow fin flasher?
IMG_5112.JPG

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi do you know where I could find a healthy Hawaiian flame wrasse like yours? I’d prefer him or her small? Really appreciate it =)

They are pretty scarce recently. If you get a chance to get one, don't be too picky about size/sex.

anew2thereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers,

I have a 40 gallon breeder tank. I would love to make it dominantly a wrasse tank and reef safe tank, nothing has been added yet. I would like to add 4 wrasse’s, I also would like for them to sleep in the sandbed when the lights go out. I would like wrasse that won’t get much bigger 4 1/2 inch’s Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.
I was thinking of these guys

Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres biocellatus
So far but stumped for the other 2

pokerdobe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've typically kept a singular specimen of flashers and fairies together, but was wondering how a trio of diamondtails would do in my tank? It's a 160 gallon display (Reefer 750xx). Conventional wisdom says not to do so... but I would like to ask anyways.

Existing wrasses:
  • McCosker's Flasher
  • Blue Flasher
  • Pintail Fairy
  • Blue Star Leopard
  • Leopard
  • Existing Diamond Tail Flasher
Planned Additions
  • Eight Line Flasher
  • Rhomboid Fairy
  • Choati Leopard

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've typically kept a singular specimen of flashers and fairies together, but was wondering how a trio of diamondtails would do in my tank? It's a 160 gallon display (Reefer 750xx). Conventional wisdom says not to do so... but I would like to ask anyways.

Existing wrasses:
  • McCosker's Flasher
  • Blue Flasher
  • Pintail Fairy
  • Blue Star Leopard
  • Leopard
  • Existing Diamond Tail Flasher
Planned Additions
  • Eight Line Flasher
  • Rhomboid Fairy
  • Choati Leopard
I know @eatbreakfast had two in an 80 gallon at one point and I think it was alright but I would be hesitant to do it. Of the three Planned Additions, I would add the Eight Line last.

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When adding wrasses I find it’s a good idea to use a acc box as a matter of fact no matter what fish I add to my tank I use an acc box it helps a lot.
If you can catch him put him in the acc box for a few day (the pintail that is).
I never used a mirror but I head good things about using one.

Thanks for the advice! I am certainly going with aggression. I added some focus and general cure to their food for 2 days and he is all clear - like a new fish! It’s amazing. They look to have gotten used to each other and I’m watching and not seeing as much chasing! So that’s good!

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is Pseudocheilinus tetrataenia tempered like all other Pseudocheilinus?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back