The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Jcarvallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Im planing to have a wrasse thematic tank, and would like to have some advice.

So far I have a Melanorus, a Yellow & Purple and what I suspect is a yellowfin flasher (picture below). I would like to get a female for the flasher, but it is difficult to get much variety in where I live.

What would you suggest me to add afterwards another male flasher a (carpentery maybe), a leopard or a cleaner wrasse?

In case that I manage tog et access to faerie wrasses, any particular name that can fit my current stock?

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/jaka978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20181004_085829.jpg.html][/URL]

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/jaka978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20181003_140055.jpg.html][/URL]

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could I do any fairy or flasher wrasses with the biocellatus? was thinking something from the lubbocki or filamentosus complexes?

Lubbock's would be ok. Whipfin, although not as bad as Scott's, is aggressive and needs a bigger tank.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just out of curiosity are they aggressive in general or just aggressive for and towards fairy/flasher wrasses?

Towards other wrasse primarily. You could do a few flasher wrasses....males of different species. Another smaller fairy wrasse would be an option also.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, one wrasse per tank unless you have 125 gallons +?

No, in a 90 you should be able to have a few wrasses. A mix of fairy, flasher and Halichoeres would probably be fine.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Im planing to have a wrasse thematic tank, and would like to have some advice.

So far I have a Melanorus, a Yellow & Purple and what I suspect is a yellowfin flasher (picture below). I would like to get a female for the flasher, but it is difficult to get much variety in where I live.

What would you suggest me to add afterwards another male flasher a (carpentery maybe), a leopard or a cleaner wrasse?

In case that I manage tog et access to faerie wrasses, any particular name that can fit my current stock?

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/jaka978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20181004_085829.jpg.html][/URL]

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/jaka978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20181003_140055.jpg.html][/URL]

Yes, that's a Yellow Fin Flasher (P. flavianalis).

Wrasses do not form bonded pairs and attempts at pairing will usually end up with two males that will not tolerate each other. The exception is leopard wrasses which can be kept in harems in larger tanks and are much less likely to transition to male.

Another flasher would be great as it would stimulate both to display at each other. How big is your tank? It might be possible to have even more.

Fairy wrasses would also be a good choice and would coexist with your present wrasses.

Jcarvallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's a Yellow Fin Flasher (P. flavianalis).

Wrasses do not form bonded pairs and attempts at pairing will usually end up with two males that will not tolerate each other. The exception is leopard wrasses which can be kept in harems in larger tanks and are much less likely to transition to male.

Another flasher would be great as it would stimulate both to display at each other. How big is your tank? It might be possible to have even more.

Fairy wrasses would also be a good choice and would coexist with your present wrasses.

Hi Thanks for your answer, I have a 95 gal tank with the following fishes

-Yellowhead Goby
-randall Goby
-Dragonet Mandarin Punctuatus
-Melanorus
-Yellow & Purple
-Yellowfin

I plan to have an upgrade in a fe months, maybe 115 Gal

Last edited:

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have people started to use CP for quaratining on fairies yet? Any tips? Anyone also have any suggestions on how to prevent spinal injuries?

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, in a 90 you should be able to have a few wrasses. A mix of fairy, flasher and Halichoeres would probably be fine.
Any suggestions? When I look at wrasses, i simply want them all, but I'm curious as to what you'd think would work best in a 90 gallon.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions? When I look at wrasses, i simply want them all, but I'm curious as to what you'd think would work best in a 90 gallon.
I don't have any fairy or flasher so I can't comment on them, but I love Halichoeres Wrasses.....so you could go with Melanarus or Yellow "Coris"....great Wrasses....not reef safe as far as inverts are involved though. So keep that in mind. For reef safe fairy and flashers would be better. In my tank I practically have no cuc because my Wrasses eat shrimp, hermits, snails, etc. I love my Wrasses more than a cuc though! LOL!

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any fairy or flasher so I can't comment on them, but I love Halichoeres Wrasses.....so you could go with Melanarus or Yellow "Coris"....great Wrasses....not reef safe as far as inverts are involved though. So keep that in mind. For reef safe fairy and flashers would be better. In my tank I practically have no cuc because my Wrasses eat shrimp, hermits, snails, etc. I love my Wrasses more than a cuc though! LOL!
Yeah, I'm planning on having corals so I'll probably stick to fairy and flasher wrasses.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It really boils down to which ones you like the most. Just take a look at this excellent article by @evolved to avoid incompatible species and post stocking plans here for our resident wrasse experts to review. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/

To me the smaller fairies would probably be better. C. lubbocki, C. isoscoles are a couple I would look at in that size tank.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have people started to use CP for quaratining on fairies yet? Any tips? Anyone also have any suggestions on how to prevent spinal injuries?

I have used CP on a couple of fairy wrasses with no problems at all. Most recently a female flame. @Humblefish I believe has also used it on Cirrhilabrus wrasses as well. I think it's also ok for (and I have used it on) Halichoeres wrassses as well. The main genus I would avoid it with is Paracheilinus species.

Back