The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am extremely frustrated.

I got really excited at LA having juvenile lineatus wrasses available. (They are at the top of my want list). So i ordered one, which arrived on Thursday. It died before the end of the day. I had readied my QT for salinity right at 1.020 (the fish came in at 1.018 so i lowered it to match), but the fish wasn't looking well and it died.

I reordered and got another one on saturday. This time, it looked much much better, and seemed to have settled in, even though it didn't eat on sunday. (i figured it just needed another day or so, and it was hiding appropriately and was able to swim without issue).

Woke up this morning to another dead wrasse.

I can't seem to get my local LFS to order a juvenile lineatus.

Anyone have recent success with LA with Lineatus wrasse? I struck out with rhomboids a year or so ago. (3x, the fish didn't make it out of quarantine, the last one died a lingering death after spinal injury which meant i just lost the money).

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am extremely frustrated.

I got really excited at LA having juvenile lineatus wrasses available. (They are at the top of my want list). So i ordered one, which arrived on Thursday. It died before the end of the day. I had readied my QT for salinity right at 1.020 (the fish came in at 1.018 so i lowered it to match), but the fish wasn't looking well and it died.

I reordered and got another one on saturday. This time, it looked much much better, and seemed to have settled in, even though it didn't eat on sunday. (i figured it just needed another day or so, and it was hiding appropriately and was able to swim without issue).

Woke up this morning to another dead wrasse.

I can't seem to get my local LFS to order a juvenile lineatus.

Anyone have recent success with LA with Lineatus wrasse? I struck out with rhomboids a year or so ago. (3x, the fish didn't make it out of quarantine, the last one died a lingering death after spinal injury which meant i just lost the money).
That sucks! Sorry. I have never order from LA but got my juvenile from my LFS. I think mine was obtained from QM.

Jcarvallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm working a Wrasse thematic tank right and would like some advice.

So far I have a Yellow and Purple, a Melanorus and a Yellowfin Flahser. other tank mates are a yellowhead goby, a randall goby and a Mandarin Dragonett
The tank is a 95 gal.

I would like to ask if a Solorensis Faery is a good addition at this stage of the project, will it make dificult latter additions (mostly flashers since faeries are extremely difficult to obtain)? My LFS managed to get 2 and I secured one for myself.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, I'm working a Wrasse thematic tank right and would like some advice.

So far I have a Yellow and Purple, a Melanorus and a Yellowfin Flahser. other tank mates are a yellowhead goby, a randall goby and a Mandarin Dragonett
The tank is a 95 gal.

I would like to ask if a Solorensis Faery is a good addition at this stage of the project, will it make dificult latter additions (mostly flashers since faeries are extremely difficult to obtain)? My LFS managed to get 2 and I secured one for myself.
What do you mean by yellow and purple?

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jcarvallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'll let the other chime in as well but the Solorensis would be fine with the use of an acclimation box to introduce into your display tank. Although the video shows some damage to its dorsal fin that is fairly close to its body. Personally I would be hesitant to purchase due to the possibility of a bacterial infection.

I'll try to get a closer look at the fish to see the wound.
Out of luck there is another one in the store.

The second part of my question, Could it be that the Solorensis bully new additions?

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll try to get a closer look at the fish to see the wound.
Out of luck there is another one in the store.

The second part of my question, Could it be that the Solorensis bully new additions?

How big is your tank? The Melanarus may be an issue for any new additions that is why the acclimation box. With regard to the Solorensis, they are middle of the road aggression but think it will be fine with your current tank mates.

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there any trauma? Any signs of issues?
Not that i could see on both fish, the first fish came in and was in trouble from the start. (lying on its side and having difficulty moving well, would move erratically, and then lie on the side.

The second fish was in good shape i thought. It went to the bottom of hte tank, but was not on its side, just seemed normal shopping stress. The fish was ale to move well and normally. It settled into a pvc pipe later, good coloration, wasn't out an about, but clearly able to move well, and was not "gasping."

No ammonia, didn't have time to use Prazi, or anything else.

IF anyone has any tips or good experiences with lineatus from LA (not DD), please let me know. I want to hear a positive experience before i buy again.

L

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that i could see on both fish, the first fish came in and was in trouble from the start. (lying on its side and having difficulty moving well, would move erratically, and then lie on the side.

The second fish was in good shape i thought. It went to the bottom of hte tank, but was not on its side, just seemed normal shopping stress. The fish was ale to move well and normally. It settled into a pvc pipe later, good coloration, wasn't out an about, but clearly able to move well, and was not "gasping."

No ammonia, didn't have time to use Prazi, or anything else.

IF anyone has any tips or good experiences with lineatus from LA (not DD), please let me know. I want to hear a positive experience before i buy again.

L

My last lineatus from LA was good. But that was a few years ago. I just moved to through ttm but both were from a different wholesaler. I put the fishes through a formalin both for 45 mins then into ttm tank with nitrofuracin green. I do general cure on transfer 2nd and 4th.

Rukk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's two blue star gals I got from LA. When they arrived, one was definitely not looking so good and the other one was not far at all from passing.

I did what I thought I needed to do and so far so good. This is day 9 in the QT. Both are eating now, started a couple days ago. Been through Prazi, working thru Metro and Kana now. Haven't done copper yet, and I am hesitant to even do it, but don't want a sick tank more than anything...

First wrasses ever.

Wish me luck!

20181008_195239.jpg
20181008_195240.jpg

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's two blue star gals I got from LA. When they arrived, one was definitely not looking so good and the other one was not far at all from passing.

I did what I thought I needed to do and so far so good. This is day 9 in the QT. Both are eating now, started a couple days ago. Been through Prazi, working thru Metro and Kana now. Haven't done copper yet, and I am hesitant to even do it, but don't want a sick tank more than anything...

First wrasses ever.

Wish me luck!

20181008_195239.jpg
20181008_195240.jpg

Those are beautiful!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back