The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I've been following the saga of your Moyer's so I appreciate the update and glad to see things are sorting themselves out! :)

I wasn’t sure if anyone else would be as obsessed with my fish as I was haha. I’ve been watching him like a hawk all day...

Thanks for following along ;)
f036985d795e6531fa9bea028c7f10ef.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may not be the place to ask this, but all the wrasse experts are here so I will ask anyway.
I was at Dallas North Aquarium this weekend.In one of the stock aquarium there were 4 or 5 Full color Male Melanurus. There were no fighting and none of the wrasse have any tear of their fins nor any missing scale. I was always under the impression that two Melanurus male will not tolerate each other. Is this wrong? Can we keep these beautiful wrasse in group of males?

Luananeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may not be the place to ask this, but all the wrasse experts are here so I will ask anyway.
I was at Dallas North Aquarium this weekend.In one of the stock aquarium there were 4 or 5 Full color Male Melanurus. There were no fighting and none of the wrasse have any tear of their fins nor any missing scale. I was always under the impression that two Melanurus male will not tolerate each other. Is this wrong? Can we keep these beautiful wrasse in group of males?

How big of an aquarium were they in? That seems to be the key factor on if you can keep multiples males of the same species together... If the tank is large enough, like most public aquariums keep, sure you can keep a group. That might not be so achievable for your average home aquarium though ;)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was Thursday. I am not sure when they put them in there. Small tank, about 20 gal stock tank with minimal decoration and sand. The wrasses were beautiful, very brightly nice looking Melanurus. Seem healthy.
I don’t live in Dallas so I don’t know how reputable of this store is like
Sorry I don’t have pictures

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably were still more concerned about what they had been through to get to that point. I would be very surprised if that peaceful coexistence continued more than several weeks. JMO. I'm sure one of our wrasse experts will chime in.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temporary housing in a for sale tank is one thing, especially with the stressors and comings and goings that go with that is one thing. Long term in a DT is another.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my six line, put em in a few days ago and its finally comfortable in the tank. Cool fish to watch. Since putting him in my psuedo is a lot more comfortable swimming out in the open. They man the middle of the tank and live rock, my clowns like the back and tlmy cardinal just floats freely everywhere. Love the combo of fish, perfect for my bio32

20190204_191541.jpg

20190204_191543.jpg

I had a pseudochromis fridmani in my 180gallon... than I added a sixline and two days later he beat the fridmani to death. Definitely keep an eye on the sixline.

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t be any happier with the new leopard wrasse I picked up yesterday. As soon as I acclimated and put her into the tank she was going crazy for the pods on my rock work
1835EA24-C0F7-4940-BE3F-D5DD48B81F24.jpeg

500607F5-16B6-4446-AFCD-4A28CD354ACC.jpeg

Beautiful specimen. How do you achieve the black background in your picture? Is that the back glass?

Venzzla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a small yellow wrasse get along with a midas blenny? Only asking because they are same color and close to same size.

Soakem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful specimen. How do you achieve the black background in your picture? Is that the back glass?

The wrasse was actually hanging out in front of a dark cave in my rock work so I kind of lucked out. When shooting photos of my tank I like to take the top off, turn the pumps off and turn my whites up. I seem to get the best results with true colors in my fish and corals.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a McCoskers flasher in my tank a couple of months ago. He was doing great. Then I saw that he was labored in his swimming yesterday. I looked and realized he is missing one of his pectoral fins! The whole thing is gone! I see 2 issues. The first is, do I leave him in the DT or remove him ( can he regenerate his fin, he’s healthy?). The second question is how did this happen? I suspect either a bad run-in with an mp40 or possibly a crab at night while he’s sleeping. I really have no aggressive fish, no other wrasses ATM, and no aggression whatsoever between he and his tankmates. Any advice?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a McCoskers flasher in my tank a couple of months ago. He was doing great. Then I saw that he was labored in his swimming yesterday. I looked and realized he is missing one of his pectoral fins! The whole thing is gone! I see 2 issues. The first is, do I leave him in the DT or remove him ( can he regenerate his fin, he’s healthy?). The second question is how did this happen? I suspect either a bad run-in with an mp40 or possibly a crab at night while he’s sleeping. I really have no aggressive fish, no other wrasses ATM, and no aggression whatsoever between he and his tankmates. Any advice?
As long as there are some fin rays left the fin can grow back.

Exactly what fish do you have?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as there are some fin rays left the fin can grow back.

Exactly what fish do you have?
Thank you. I have a 180 gallon mixed reef tank with a purple tang, 2 yellow tangs, a pacific blue tang, 2 ocellaris clownfish, 2 yellow tail blue damsels, and a royal gramma.

I was planning on observing the wrasse. As long as he doesn’t get an infection and can still swim, I was going to leave him in there. Thoughts?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I have a 180 gallon mixed reef tank with a purple tang, 2 yellow tangs, a pacific blue tang, 2 ocellaris clownfish, 2 yellow tail blue damsels, and a royal gramma.

I was planning on observing the wrasse. As long as he doesn’t get an infection and can still swim, I was going to leave him in there. Thoughts?
As long as there isn't anymore aggression or a noticeable infection then it is fine to leave it.

Most likely it got too close to the clowns' territory and was 'taught' to keep a wider berth.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as there isn't anymore aggression or a noticeable infection then it is fine to leave it.

Most likely it got too close to the clowns' territory and was 'taught' to keep a wider berth.
Thanks again. That very well could be the case. The clowns have been spawning frequently lately, so that makes sense.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0D9EDC7A-415A-448E-8136-EEE9F681D787.jpeg
Got the opportunity to get one of these. I love the colors on this guy. Not my pic but it is the same fish from that LFS who posted the pic

Do it! [emoji48] these guys are one of my favorites, If I found one at a good price near me I’d be very tempted... not sure if he’d be nice to my flame though

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it! [emoji48] these guys are one of my favorites, If I found one at a good price near me I’d be very tempted... not sure if he’d be nice to my flame though
Its in my tank as I type this. Swims with my Rhomboid

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back