The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Redrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could be helpful but I’m in a quandary myself. My Melanuras has been Mr. Sandman for 3 1/2 weeks now.
I’m ready to write him off but I keep looking at the tank, hoping he resurfaced.
Good luck.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could be helpful but I’m in a quandary myself. My Melanuras has been Mr. Sandman for 3 1/2 weeks now.
I’m ready to write him off but I keep looking at the tank, hoping he resurfaced.
Good luck.

This guy was buried for 7 weeks, the longest sand strike I’ve seen personally [emoji30] I kept an eye on him through the bottom of my tank though, he would move around from spot to spot but likely it was overnight because I never saw him out.

Came out two days, and is now back under. I know he’s being chased by several fish when he comes out, but it’s not constant and they aren’t doing any real damage. But, he’s a total pushover (even though he’s bigger than most of them).

I wouldn’t be too worried about the melanurus unless you’ve seen or suspect aggression. Usually once they pop out you are good to go...

Redrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Than you for that. I really liked his coloration. If he appears within 3 months, he can be the sole Halichoeres, otherwise, I’ll put a Claudia in there and hope for the best.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaand now the moyer’s is sand-bound again today. @saltyhog @eatbreakfast what do you think? I’ve seen the aggression, the fish aren’t going to kill him... but if he keeps hiding like this, he’s eventually going to start losing condition. I can relocate him to my BTA tank, the only other fish in there now are a pair of percula clowns. It’s a 40 breeder so a bit small, but better than death by starvation...

Give it one more chance or scoop him up the next time he pops out of the sand? He ate well two days in a row then went back under.

That is a bit of a sticky spot. It really doesn't matter how aggressive the other fish are IMO, but how he perceives the aggression. If it causes him to hide to the point he loses weight and eventually succumbs it might as well be lethal aggression if that makes sense. Given his prolonged previous absence and lack of food intake I would probably lean toward being proactive and relocating him until you can get him fat and acclimated to you and captive life. Ultimately though I'll defer to TJ on the best course.

Is your DT pretty rich in microfauna, pods, etc.? He might not be in as bad a shape as I fear if so. In that case you might be able to give him another chance and see if he starts coming out and eating well.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree that it depends on his perception of the aggression. I would scoop him while in the sand and move him to the 40 now rather than wait.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bit of a sticky spot. It really doesn't matter how aggressive the other fish are IMO, but how he perceives the aggression. If it causes him to hide to the point he loses weight and eventually succumbs it might as well be lethal aggression if that makes sense. Given his prolonged previous absence and lack of food intake I would probably lean toward being proactive and relocating him until you can get him fat and acclimated to you and captive life. Ultimately though I'll defer to TJ on the best course.

Is your DT pretty rich in microfauna, pods, etc.? He might not be in as bad a shape as I fear if so. In that case you might be able to give him another chance and see if he starts coming out and eating well.

He wasn't thin when he came out actually, that's why I thought he was probably coming out at night and scouring the rocks. My tank is pretty well-established, nearly two years running. And a good bit of the rock was from a tank that was up for two years before it. I do have two other leopards, a yellow wrasse, and a mandarin so there's some competition; but if the mandy's condition is any indicator I'd say the pod population is pretty good - she looks like she's pregnant most days lol

He does eat prepared foods when he's out, he had his fill of frozen and pellets the two days he was out. But, he has to come out to eat...

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking... darn, I was really hoping he would be good now that he came out :(

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the bioload would be fine, but I would use an acclimaton box to see how the melanurus tolerates him or add/QT them together. I had a tank before where I tried to add a yellow to an existing melanurus and he promptly killed the yellow. At the same time, a buddy had both in his 90 and they got along just fine.

Thanks for the head's up on that. I always use an acclimation box, but rarely wait as long as I probably should. I have a melanarus that earned the name Bully as it was aggressive towards an orange back fairy(only at first, backed off and has largely ignored any other wrasse added). I am planning on adding a chrysus, but will ensure there is plenty of time in the acclimation box before setting him loose.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he was out again today. I didn’t have a chance to go dig out the screen top for the 40, so I decided to just watch him for a little. He doesn’t look terrible, definitely could gain a little weight, but he ate every time I fed them. And I fed pretty heavy.

By the end of the day, the rest of my fish were in la-z-boys watching paw patrol. He started getting much more brave as the day went on. I think as long as he comes back out tomorrow to eat, I’ll give it a bit more time.

Not the best picture, he is terrified of my phone... but to give an idea of his current condition:
00f5f5fc478f717c7212a546b33f0879.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that anyone is sitting on pins and needles waiting for an update, but just in case anyone happens across this...I think we’ve rounded the bend with the moyer’s. Out again today and much less stressed. Also, much less chasing and he’s getting closer to being in with the group. He will sneak in for a while before he gets chased back to the top, waits a bit, then sneaks back down lol. Gets right in there during feedings.

So, unless something changes dramatically I think he is going to be ok [emoji1362]That one was a rough acclimation 7 weeks hiding and another week touch and go...

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that anyone is sitting on pins and needles waiting for an update, but just in case anyone happens across this...I think we’ve rounded the bend with the moyer’s. Out again today and much less stressed. Also, much less chasing and he’s getting closer to being in with the group. He will sneak in for a while before he gets chased back to the top, waits a bit, then sneaks back down lol. Gets right in there during feedings.

So, unless something changes dramatically I think he is going to be ok [emoji1362]That one was a rough acclimation 7 weeks hiding and another week touch and go...

that's awesome! The fact that he is eating with the group, you may be over the hump!

Redrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
McCosker's and a Filamented Flasher.
The Rubeous is a bit of an butt. Surprising since he showed absolutely no interest during the time in the social acclimation tank.
7698C0D7-5D93-453E-83C2-94DA5F6158D0.jpeg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's great! Hopefully the trend continues!

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To be honest I've been following the saga of your Moyer's so I appreciate the update and glad to see things are sorting themselves out! :)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great! Hopefully the trend continues!

After watching him today, I think he’s going to be fine. He’s venturing into the crowd, eating with them, and beginning to stand up to the yellow. He was even showing off his fins to some of the other wrasses who were ignoring him [emoji23]

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 72 79.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back