The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

cmcimino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this Royal Flasher Wrasse in the tank the other day. Great colors in natural sunlight.

Wrasse.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think P. angulatus and P. flavianalis are under appreciated....I have both along with another I think is underappreciated, P. lineopunctatus.

cmcimino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think P. angulatus and P. flavianalis are under appreciated....I have both along with another I think is underappreciated, P. lineopunctatus.
I agree! I also have a linespot flasher in the acclimation box. Excited to have him out and about.

Redrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have longer to wait. I brought home a Lubocks Fairy and a Filamented Flasher today. They’re in the QT.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it shocking your Rhombodalis was the tank boss. What other wrasses do you have?

I know, right? He was atypical for sure...

I bought the rhomboid, flame, and a lineatus all as females. The rhomboid and lineatus both turned male before they hit the display. They would squabble and chase each other quite a bit, and then one day the lineatus was gone... and the rhomboid was the king fish. He would flash all day and chase the flame, and any other fish he felt offended by lol
329dd45e515a304e55a48e05ca48bf40.jpg

7ab549b7bcc44547df1d6f5ed358653e.jpg

I also have a few leopards and a yellow Halichoeres. I sold the rhomboid so that I could try another lineatus...since that was the one I’d really wanted. And a pintail. They are both in QT at the moment ;) Maybe someday I’ll try another rhomboid and maybe get one less ornery lol

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bought the rhomboid, flame, and a lineatus all as females. The rhomboid and lineatus both turned male before they hit the display. They would squabble and chase each other quite a bit, and then one day the lineatus was gone... and the rhomboid was the king fish. He would flash all day and chase the flame, and any other fish he felt offended by lol

I also have a few leopards and a yellow Halichoeres. I sold the rhomboid so that I could try another lineatus...since that was the one I’d really wanted. And a pintail. They are both in QT at the moment ;) Maybe someday I’ll try another rhomboid and maybe get one less ornery lol

Individual variation can make you scratch your head sometimes. The only Rhomboid I've had was afraid of his own shadow and was even bossed around by my flasher wrasses. I now have a 4.5" laboutei, a 3+" flame and a bunch of other wrasse and the king of the tank is the newest wrasse, an Exquisite that's barely 2". SMH. My tang may be in trouble when he grows up. LOL

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Individual variation can make you scratch your head sometimes. The only Rhomboid I've had was afraid of his own shadow and was even bossed around by my flasher wrasses. I now have a 4.5" laboutei, a 3+" flame and a bunch of other wrasse and the king of the tank is the newest wrasse, an Exquisite that's barely 2". SMH. My tang may be in trouble when he grows up. LOL

Do you have any pictures of your laboutei? I had a BEAUTIFUL one...several tanks ago...that I picked up mislabeled as a 6-line wrasse, for like $40 I think? When I shared him on another forum, I was told all kinds of horror stories about how awful and mean he will be... but mine was a model citizen. I lost him during my QT “learning curve”, to a velvet outbreak. I’ll have to see if I can dig up a picture.

Edit: well, not any good pictures that do him justice... but you get the idea lol

290ba34c3982fa4a19df73d7ee08dee1.jpg

Last edited:

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow! My rhomboid is a pushover and hardly ever flashes [emoji22]

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of your laboutei? I had a BEAUTIFUL one...several tanks ago...that I picked up mislabeled as a 6-line wrasse, for like $40 I think? When I shared him on another forum, I was told all kinds of horror stories about how awful and mean he will be... but mine was a model citizen. I lost him during my QT “learning curve”, to a velvet outbreak. I’ll have to see if I can dig up a picture.

Edit: well, not any good pictures that do him justice... but you get the idea lol

290ba34c3982fa4a19df73d7ee08dee1.jpg

This was 2 years ago. He is much larger now. Need to take some new pictures of him but he's hard to photograph.
Wrasse trio (1 of 1).jpg

Venzzla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if two male wrasses would get along? In particular McCosher male wrasse and Wardley wrasse

Redrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if two male wrasses would get along? In particular McCosher male wrasse and Wardley wrasse
A McCosker's and Halichoeres Melanuras will probably get along fine.
As with all wrasse, there are no guarantees.
Use a social acclimation box and observe.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So quick question...I’ve had a moyer’s leopard just emerge from the longest sand burrow stint I’ve ever witnessed. He was buried for 7 weeks [emoji15]

He looks ok weight-wise so he might have been grazing during the night, not positive, but both of his eyes are cloudy. I’m pretty sure it’s not flukes because he was treated before and doesn’t have any other symptoms, and also skeptical about infection since it’s both eyes. Has anyone here ever have a sand-burrower come up from an extended burrow with cloudy eyes? Before this the longest I’d had a wrasse burrow was 1-2 weeks.

Otherwise he seems perfectly normal, and very hungry...

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you treat him for flukes? There has been an upswing in Prazi resistant flukes lately. You could do a freshwater dip to confirm.

Tyler Miceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my six line, put em in a few days ago and its finally comfortable in the tank. Cool fish to watch. Since putting him in my psuedo is a lot more comfortable swimming out in the open. They man the middle of the tank and live rock, my clowns like the back and tlmy cardinal just floats freely everywhere. Love the combo of fish, perfect for my bio32

20190204_191541.jpg

20190204_191543.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you treat him for flukes? There has been an upswing in Prazi resistant flukes lately. You could do a freshwater dip to confirm.

Prazi. If his eyes are still cloudy tomorrow I might try that, but since NONE of my other fish have symptoms, and he isn’t yawning or scratching or twitching, I feel like it is unlikely.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back