The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update. His condition seemed the same today, but I still didn't see him eat. I decided to catch him - way to easily for a wrasse unfortunately - and put him in an acclimation box so that I can better monitor his eating and he isn't affected by the flow or other fishes.

This also gives the opportunity for treatment, if anyone has any suggestions? @eatbreakfast , any ideas?

Hi people. Does anyone have a diagnosis on this poor guy?

He is new. He completed 10 days of tank transfer, with prazi and metro, on Wednesday. He ate well during QT and seemed fine during the whole process, although the transfer containers and acclimation box are small and he didn't have a lot of space to swim. He went into an acclimation box in my display until I released him on Friday evening.

At first I thought he became unfit due to the smaller confines and little flow for almost 2 weeks, so didn't think much of it as I've seen other wrasses take a day to swim more energetically once in the tank. After two days I'm however getting worried, as it seems to be hindering his feeding.

Any ideas? Spinal injury or swim bladder problem perhaps? Any suggestions?

The first video was taken this evening. The next was yesterday morning, so show the progression of the problem.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update. His condition seemed the same today, but I still didn't see him eat. I decided to catch him - way to easily for a wrasse unfortunately - and put him in an acclimation box so that I can better monitor his eating and he isn't affected by the flow or other fishes.

This also gives the opportunity for treatment, if anyone has any suggestions? @eatbreakfast , any ideas?
He definitely seems to have trouble staying bouyant, which speaks to a spinal injury. There isn't much that can be done. Maybe try antibiotics to guard against a possible secondary infection, but IME some recover, some don't.

mredwin25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked for him just now, nowhere to be found, female is out n about but he’s hiding in a different spot possibly in the live rock, definitely not on the floor (i looked) I hope he’s good.

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He definitely seems to have trouble staying bouyant, which speaks to a spinal injury. There isn't much that can be done. Maybe try antibiotics to guard against a possible secondary infection, but IME some recover, some don't.

Thank you. I have moved him to my coral qt, which is well cycled, but don't currently have any coral, so is more suited to treatment. After some reading in the disease forum I've treated with Kanaplex and Epsom salt (on the slim chance that it might be caused by constipation). I'll monitor and see how it goes.

Redrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked for him just now, nowhere to be found, female is out n about but he’s hiding in a different spot possibly in the live rock, definitely not on the floor (i looked) I hope he’s good.
When my Rubeous went missing for a day, I started looking. Found him in on of the OF. Have you checked there?

mredwin25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I’m very happy to report he’s out and very happy showing off his fins and hanging out with the female

B87D2012-BCA0-495C-AD33-B6E83F435CAB.jpeg

0D4DEA9E-AADB-46E6-BA90-D5042BAF7693.jpeg

66CA9BFD-1A93-42AF-BA89-3F4130DCBEE0.jpeg

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rubrisquamis doing his thing.

af905779d5d46c6ae96b74859bcd2caf.jpg

e44baf4820585466eeebeaf79b7e39e6.jpg

Bought him from LA in June for $80 as a female. He was already male, but got big very quickly since he’s a crazy food hog. Love to flash, but isn’t overly aggressive. He just cruises a lot with his fins out with dominate coloring for a few seconds at a time.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
64f4adbbcbe26f493906829e00d7a7b2.jpg

Buried himself as soon as went into observation tank. Got very light from the trip in the bag, but radiant wrasse.

Will post some pictures once he’s swimming and colored up again and ready for ttm.

datCharles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jake_francis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I’m very happy to report he’s out and very happy showing off his fins and hanging out with the female

B87D2012-BCA0-495C-AD33-B6E83F435CAB.jpeg

0D4DEA9E-AADB-46E6-BA90-D5042BAF7693.jpeg

66CA9BFD-1A93-42AF-BA89-3F4130DCBEE0.jpeg

FYI, having a pair is good as long as the female stays female. The minute you see that the female is starting to transition to male, separate them. The juvenile male
Will try to kill the supermale. Just my experience.

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if i should make a new thread.

My melanarus wrasse is acting weird swiming up and down the side glass around a powerhead. When i approach the tank he leaves the side glass and acts normally (swims around tank picking at rock and sand "normal") But for the last hour everytime i look over from my couch this is all i see him doing. Any ideas?

Short video of what im talking about

This is from a distance. If i approach the tank hes normal.

Is it possible he is seeing his own reflection and chasing it or? None of other wrasses or fish are doing this or anything else unusual.

Redrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if i should make a new thread.

My melanarus wrasse is acting weird swiming up and down the side glass around a powerhead. When i approach the tank he leaves the side glass and acts normally (swims around tank picking at rock and sand "normal") But for the last hour everytime i look over from my couch this is all i see him doing. Any ideas?

Short video of what im talking about

This is from a distance. If i approach the tank hes normal.

Is it possible he is seeing his own reflection and chasing it or? None of other wrasses or fish are doing this or anything else unusual.

I don’t think it’s anything to be concerned about. My Rubeous does the same thing but to a higher degree between the OFs. My guess is he’s seeing his reflection.
Like my Rubeous, your Melanuras should do this less and less.

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply!

Hes been at it all day on and off . Sometimes i look over and hes doing the same pacing, sometimes hes just swimming around being "normal"

I fed some flakes and lrs fish frenzy and he ate good both times.
Theres no marks or heavy breathing or anything wrong other then the pacing.
Not being bothered by any tankmates.

If anything was really wrong i assume he would atleast be breathing really hard from all that up and down so maby hes fine and ill just wait it out.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My “still-transitioning” jordani... I thought he would fully change after the tank boss rhomboid was removed, but he’s still in the sub-male phase. He’s also the biggest puppy in the tank. Swims up to your hands when you are tinkering in the tank.
88042b77966b6a2b0133916ae3f087ce.jpg

Last edited:

Doc Lemonjello

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply!

Hes been at it all day on and off . Sometimes i look over and hes doing the same pacing, sometimes hes just swimming around being "normal"

I fed some flakes and lrs fish frenzy and he ate good both times.
Theres no marks or heavy breathing or anything wrong other then the pacing.
Not being bothered by any tankmates.

If anything was really wrong i assume he would atleast be breathing really hard from all that up and down so maby hes fine and ill just wait it out.
My melanurus does the same thing on occasion. It'll pass. I think it's hormonal or something as mine is a full blown male and he has no one to spend his testosterone on.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My “still-transitioning” jordani... I thought he would fully change after the tank boss rhomboid was removed, but he’s still in the sub-male phase. He’s also the biggest puppy in the tank. Swims up to your hands when you are tinkering in the tank.
88042b77966b6a2b0133916ae3f087ce.jpg
I find it shocking your Rhombodalis was the tank boss. What other wrasses do you have?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back