The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an isosceles then added a brunneus with no issues. My isosceles died and I added another one down the road with the same brunneus and no issue again.
My plan is to QT all the new wrasses together and add them together when the time comes. The isosceles shouldn't be able to harass them all.

I've got a Yellowtail Tamarin in QT right now and will have a Redtail and new Potter's in QT early next week. Then, if the snow would stop I can pick up my brunneus and get it started on QT as well.

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is another update on my rhomboid- the acclimation box is out, i also decided to do some rock rearrangement, nothing drastic, but something i had been putting off anyway, with hopes that it would diffuse any aggression.

There hasn't been any noted aggression at all. The rhomboid is very wary of the pintail, and avoids it still, but no chasing nothing.

I had initially worried about it, not because i had witnessed too much aggression, but because the rhomboid liked to swim near the surface so much, but now that it has been in the tank for a few days, it has become clear, that the fish is just a bit odd.

Even when the lights are off and no other fish are around and it is clearly not stressed, (no gasping, no other signs of stress etc), it just likes to cruise near the top of tank. It doesn't always stay there, and it does go near the bottom corners and when feeding will go wherever there is food. TBC it is not swimming at powerheads or anything.

The only other odd thing to note, is that the fish rarely hides or full on sleeps, lights on or off. Again, it seems to be doing well, but it appears to be up at all hours even when the rest of hte fish are asleep. Not sure why.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a established fairy wrasse tank with a few other fish including a pair of watanabe Angel's a very small purple tang like quarter size body and 4 square spot anthias 1 Male 3 females. The fairys are as follows flame, rhomboid, lineatus, pintail, Vanuatu exquisite, labouti, katherine, and red head. I currently dont have much agression with the labouti running the tank. I want to add a trio of female Blue Star leopard wrasse.

Will any of the wrasse mess with them? I have a 3 inches sand bed so no problem there. The tank is 130 gallons. 48- 26-24

Thanks in advance.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,

I have a established fairy wrasse tank with a few other fish including a pair of watanabe Angel's a very small purple tang like quarter size body and 4 square spot anthias 1 Male 3 females. The fairys are as follows flame, rhomboid, lineatus, pintail, Vanuatu exquisite, labouti, katherine, and red head. I currently dont have much agression with the labouti running the tank. I want to add a trio of female Blue Star leopard wrasse.

Will any of the wrasse mess with them? I have a 3 inches sand bed so no problem there. The tank is 130 gallons. 48- 26-24

Thanks in advance.
Nice collection.

I would definitely use an acclimation box if possible to know for sure but I would think it would be ok.

You have to share a pic of the V. Exquisite.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice collection.

I would definitely use an acclimation box if possible to know for sure but I would think it would be ok.

You have to share a pic of the V. Exquisite.
Thanks, definitely been a process to get all the wrasse to coexist. Red head and labouti both had to go in last. I had them sitting in qt for like 3 months because I couldn't get ahold of the exquisite and didn't want to add him in after the two mean guys Haha. But finally worked out.

I'll see if I can get a picture of him, he is definitely the most timid fish in the tank.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2BE12E3C-48C1-417F-B370-70170808C794.jpeg

Picked this tiny guy up. Just delivered today. In QT and smashing pods, mysis and ova already. For how small he is I cannot believe the clicking sound coming from his Pharyngeal jaw. My anampses twistii does the same thing but is much larger.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks, definitely been a process to get all the wrasse to coexist. Red head and labouti both had to go in last. I had them sitting in qt for like 3 months because I couldn't get ahold of the exquisite and didn't want to add him in after the two mean guys Haha. But finally worked out.

I'll see if I can get a picture of him, he is definitely the most timid fish in the tank.
That's a little surprising that he is timid. Where did you get him and how long ago?

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a little surprising that he is timid. Where did you get him and how long ago?
My local shop, that got him from quality marine. I have had him for about 2 months. Just got put into the Dt 10 days ago. Comes out to eat and swim, but as soon as I come up to the tank he hides. I would imagine a few more weeks and he should be out more.

Luananeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's taken a month or so of lurking and reading, but I've finally read all 494 pages of this thread :D

Question for you wrasse experts... I'm trying to figure out a stocking list for my 65g DT FOWLR (36"x18"x24") (around 90g total volume when you include the HOB fuge and sump). I love everything I've been reading about wrasse behavior and drooling over all the pictures everyone's been sharing, so most of the stocking list is going to be wrasses... The only planned fish otherwise are:
1 Tiger Watchman Goby
1 Firefish
1 Valentini Puffer
1 Green Mandarin (Maybe? It would only be added after the tank had been running for a year.)

I've made a list of my favorite wrasses and trimmed off the ones that definitely wouldn't fit from a tank size, aggression, and price aspect based on what I've read here and on Evolved/Hunter's awesome wrasse articles. The trimmed down list is:
P. Filamentosus
P. Cyaneus
P. Mccoskeri
C. Isosceles
C. Lubbocki
C. Exquisitus (Western Pacific variation)
C. Rhomboidalis
C. Efatensis
M. Negrosensis

How many of these would you guys say would reasonably fit? Would a Mandarin be possible with the wrasses, or would it starve? I'm hoping to get a captive bred one, if it makes a difference.

If more details are needed about the tank I've got a build thread running. It's been 2 months since I added live rock & the CUC. I'll be swapping my glass top for a tightly fit screen top with 1/8" mesh before adding any wrasses. I don't want any carpet surfing snacks for my cats!

Thanks!

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

was there an issue with the rhomboid and lineatus?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's taken a month or so of lurking and reading, but I've finally read all 494 pages of this thread :D

Question for you wrasse experts... I'm trying to figure out a stocking list for my 65g DT FOWLR (36"x18"x24") (around 90g total volume when you include the HOB fuge and sump). I love everything I've been reading about wrasse behavior and drooling over all the pictures everyone's been sharing, so most of the stocking list is going to be wrasses... The only planned fish otherwise are:
1 Tiger Watchman Goby
1 Firefish
1 Valentini Puffer
1 Green Mandarin (Maybe? It would only be added after the tank had been running for a year.)

I've made a list of my favorite wrasses and trimmed off the ones that definitely wouldn't fit from a tank size, aggression, and price aspect based on what I've read here and on Evolved/Hunter's awesome wrasse articles. The trimmed down list is:
P. Filamentosus
P. Cyaneus
P. Mccoskeri
C. Isosceles
C. Lubbocki
C. Exquisitus (Western Pacific variation)
C. Rhomboidalis
C. Efatensis
M. Negrosensis

How many of these would you guys say would reasonably fit? Would a Mandarin be possible with the wrasses, or would it starve? I'm hoping to get a captive bred one, if it makes a difference.

If more details are needed about the tank I've got a build thread running. It's been 2 months since I added live rock & the CUC. I'll be swapping my glass top for a tightly fit screen top with 1/8" mesh before adding any wrasses. I don't want any carpet surfing snacks for my cats!

Thanks!
In that size tank a leopard and mandarin wonçt work, the leopard will outcompete the mandarin.

4-5 of the wrasses from the list should be able to exist in that size tank.

Luananeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that size tank a leopard and mandarin wonçt work, the leopard will outcompete the mandarin.

4-5 of the wrasses from the list should be able to exist in that size tank.

Yeah, I had a feeling it would be an either/or between the leopard and the mandarin... But otherwise the mandarin wouldn't require any trade-off? I wasn't sure if keeping the mandarin meant I had to keep fewer fairies/flashers...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I had a feeling it would be an either/or between the leopard and the mandarin... But otherwise the mandarin wouldn't require any trade-off? I wasn't sure if keeping the mandarin meant I had to keep fewer fairies/flashers...
Fairy and flasher wrasses feed out of the water column, not rocks and substrate, so theyhave no correlation with the mandarin.

Luananeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy and flasher wrasses feed out of the water column, not rocks and substrate, so theyhave no correlation with the mandarin.

Excellent! That was what I was hoping and leaning toward myself, but I had gotten conflicting information on another thread where some thought the mandarin would be in competition with the fairies/flashers and others thought it would be ok. I figured asking the experts was the best way to resolve it :) Thank you!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! That was what I was hoping and leaning toward myself, but I had gotten conflicting information on another thread where some thought the mandarin would be in competition with the fairies/flashers and others thought it would be ok. I figured asking the experts was the best way to resolve it :) Thank you!
Happy to help.

If you can point me to that thread I would love to weigh in to clarify things.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back