The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to find some more wrasses to go with my newly acquired Melanarus Wrasse. Any thoughts/issues with adding the following?

Ruby Red Head
Red Heas Salon
Carpenters
Leopard

Thanks in advance!
@evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size of the tank?

Can't put those two together unless the tank is exceptionally large. Individually either should be okay.

Either/both are fine.

Thank you! Since I cant do both the ruby red head and red head salon, would you recommend another one that would go along well with the melanarus, carpenters, leopard, and either the Ruby RH or the RH Salon? Really looking to add 4.

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Timor Wrasse, leopard wrasse and a Yellow/Purple wrasse(AKA 4 spot wrasse) the Timor is the largest by far and the newest... this guy has learned a taste for hermits and now taught the Yellow/Purple male to follow and they have eaten every hermit... some were in the tank for years and had moved from shell to shell over time... Just a heads up these wrasses can learn from one another very well and can pick up bad habits. Prior to the Timor the Yellow/Purple was a model citizen. Oh well. anyone know of an alternative to hermits in a CUC?

Thank you

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Since I cant do both the ruby red head and red head salon, would you recommend another one that would go along well with the melanarus, carpenters, leopard, and either the Ruby RH or the RH Salon? Really looking to add 4.
I tend to shy away from giving specific recommendations, as it's a matter of what appeals to you (and also what you can find available for purchase). If you want another fairy, start here: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/cirrhilabrus-complexes-inferiority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.352/
I have a Timor Wrasse, leopard wrasse and a Yellow/Purple wrasse(AKA 4 spot wrasse) the Timor is the largest by far and the newest... this guy has learned a taste for hermits and now taught the Yellow/Purple male to follow and they have eaten every hermit... some were in the tank for years and had moved from shell to shell over time... Just a heads up these wrasses can learn from one another very well and can pick up bad habits. Prior to the Timor the Yellow/Purple was a model citizen. Oh well. anyone know of an alternative to hermits in a CUC?
Monkey see, monkey do. I've always found dark gray or black variety of hermits to fair decently with them. Those also tend to be a bit more nocturnal too.

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monkey see, monkey do. I've always found dark gray or black variety of hermits to fair decently with them. Those also tend to be a bit more nocturnal too.[/QUOTE]

Well that's a shame because those are their favorite. haha Thank you!

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking at the fairy wrasse chart I have a question. If I have a fish that is in the orange class of aggression and I wanted to try to add another fairy wrasse would I want to try something far removed from the sub group but also in the orange class of aggression or something less aggressive ? Also is the aggression of these fish only toward other fairy wrasse or does it extend to other types of wrasse like leopard and flashers ?

FishyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a recommendation on a wrasse that would go well in a 30 gallon? I'm looking for an active swimmer who is also peaceful. Was thinking about a six line but some people say they can get mean. Current stock list is just 2 clowns some snails and a longnose hawkfish. Planning on adding an urchin and maybe a sand sifting goby later on as well. Are there any smaller wrasse that might work for me?

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a recommendation on a wrasse that would go well in a 30 gallon? I'm looking for an active swimmer who is also peaceful. Was thinking about a six line but some people say they can get mean. Current stock list is just 2 clowns some snails and a longnose hawkfish. Planning on adding an urchin and maybe a sand sifting goby later on as well. Are there any smaller wrasse that might work for me?
A Pseudocheilinops ataenia - Pink Streaked Wrasse would be a good choice. They are small and peaceful, and while they spend some time swimming inbetween the rocks, mine also spend a lot if time swimming actively in the open.

Another choice is one of the Wetmorella species, but they seem to be a bit more cryptic.

Here is my P. ataenia:

05c3c8d4360d7a43c240f32e1b4ab0ea.jpg

FishyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Pseudocheilinops ataenia - Pink Streaked Wrasse would be a good choice. They are small and peaceful, and while they spend some time swimming inbetween the rocks, mine also spend a lot if time swimming actively in the open.

What a cutie! I love his little pink nose, thanks for the tip! I looked up the possum wrasse too and now I'm kinda torn. Do you think both would be okay in a 30 gallon with the 3 fish previously mentioned or would that be pushing it? I was wanting to add two more fish, an active swimmer and a fish to hang out near the sand, but wrasse seem to fit both of those categories.

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a cutie! I love his little pink nose, thanks for the tip! I looked up the possum wrasse too and now I'm kinda torn. Do you think both would be okay in a 30 gallon with the 3 fish previously mentioned or would that be pushing it? I was wanting to add two more fish, an active swimmer and a fish to hang out near the sand, but wrasse seem to fit both of those categories.

I keep a Wetmorella tanakai with my Pink Streaked Wrasse, but in a 5 foot tank with a bunch of other bigger wrasses. In my tank they don't pay each other much attention, so I suspect they can go together in your size tank too, especially if added together. I see less of my Possum Wrasse as he spends more time in the rocks, and tend to come out in the open more when the lights start dimming.

I'm however not a very good judge of how many fish can go in a tank, and for myself usually gauge whether there is enough territory and sleeping space for all the fishes based on their behavior, and whether my bio filter will be able to handle the extra waste produced and feeding required for the new fish(es).

I have not kept either clowns or longnosed hawkfish, but I believe both can be territorial, so hopefully someone with more experience with them can help.

My Possum, who is clearly less camera shy than the Pink Streaked Wrasse, when he feels like interacting:

IMG_1727.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking at the fairy wrasse chart I have a question. If I have a fish that is in the orange class of aggression and I wanted to try to add another fairy wrasse would I want to try something far removed from the sub group but also in the orange class of aggression or something less aggressive ? Also is the aggression of these fish only toward other fairy wrasse or does it extend to other types of wrasse like leopard and flashers ?
The more removed and less aggressive, the better your chances.
The potential aggression here is mostly relative to other Cirrhilabrus, but the filamentosus complex will definitely apply towards all wrasses. There's a few other that could take poorly to Paracheilinus, but Macropharyngodon will almost always be safe with them (sans the filamentosus complex).
You absolutely should avoid the sixline, or any Pseudocheilinus wrasse for that matter.
The only wrasses I like to recommend for a 30g tank have in fact already been mentioned; a pink streak and/or a Wetmorella (possum) wrasse.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would Wrasse eat a cleaner/fire shrimp?
Who are the suspects?
In general, Pseudocheilinus ocellatus is a known offender. Of course, any species of the Thalassoma or Coris genus would.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i have been looking for a H. Chrysus (Yellow wrasse) to help with coral pest containment but my LFS has been out of those. Last week they brought in a couple of H. Chloropterus (green coris..?) which they said are equally good at planaria and red bugs, etc.

I know that feeding habits go down to individual levels but are these similar to the yellow coris wrasse? Also, how “safe” are they towards snails, shrimp, etc?

Thanks!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i have been looking for a H. Chrysus (Yellow wrasse) to help with coral pest containment but my LFS has been out of those. Last week they brought in a couple of H. Chloropterus (green coris..?) which they said are equally good at planaria and red bugs, etc.

I know that feeding habits go down to individual levels but are these similar to the yellow coris wrasse? Also, how “safe” are they towards snails, shrimp, etc?

Thanks!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/

H. chloropterus "Green Coris Wrasse": As with a "Yellow Coris", this isn't a Coris wrasse at all. The common name is very misleading. Also misleading is the "Green" part, as they are only green as a juvi. As they mature, they're more of a drab olive green-gray color, and they also get quite a bit feisty. Many motile inverts will be on the menu as an adult. Usually available and inexpensive, however.

H. chrysus “Canary Wrasse” or “Yellow Coris Wrasse” (*cringe*): First, I do not like the reference to “coris” this species can sometimes be commonly referred as, since it implies the species is a member of the Coris genus, which it is certainly not. Commonly available, inexpensive. Usually very peaceful and do not often pick on inverts at all. Usually peaceful with other Halichoeres wrasses. Males get a “sunset” looking horizontal stripes on the face once mature.

:eek:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

I don't think shrimp would be a problem with H. chrysus unless they are very small....like sexy shrimp. Do not get a H. chloropterus! They get really big, really bland/ugly and are nothing like the H. chrysus in demeanor. They can be nasty and make it difficult to keep other wrasses.

I kept a H. chrysus that was almost 6 inches and he lived for years with skunk and blood shrimp without any issues at all.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back