The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't think shrimp would be a problem with H. chrysus unless they are very small....like sexy shrimp. Do not get a H. chloropterus! They get really big, really bland/ugly and are nothing like the H. chrysus in demeanor. They can be nasty and make it difficult to keep other wrasses.

I kept a H. chrysus that was almost 6 inches and he lived for years with skunk and blood shrimp without any issues at all.
Yup; this.
You don't want H. chloropterus.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the psychadelic head wrasses at my LFS; they are so hard to get pictures of.
20190308_140625.jpg 20190308_135637.jpg
And a Potters
20190308_140956.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a C. jordani I got about a year ago as a 2" female. It has transitioned over the last 4-5 months to male. I've noticed that it has a black fringe to it's anal fin. I've never noticed other flames with that. Is that a common coloration @eatbreakfast @evolved ?

Flame4 (1 of 1).jpg

Flame2 (1 of 1).jpg

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup; this.
You don't want H. chloropterus.

At what age do they start to go south? I've had mine for close to 4 years and it's still a bright vibrant green and very mellow. It's about 4" long. Perhaps the H. chrysus and a much larger H. biocellatus are keeping it in check.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what age do they start to go south? I've had mine for close to 4 years and it's still a bright vibrant green and very mellow. It's about 4" long. Perhaps the H. chrysus and a much larger H. biocellatus are keeping it in check.

Wow, my two friends that have had them had theirs grow much faster than that! I thought H. biocellatus maxed out a around 4"? Mine never got larger than that. Interesting. Just goes to show individuals are just that and some don't follow the usual expectations!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a C. jordani I got about a year ago as a 2" female. It has transitioned over the last 4-5 months to male. I've noticed that it has a black fringe to it's anal fin. I've never noticed other flames with that. Is that a common coloration @eatbreakfast @evolved ?

Flame4 (1 of 1).jpg

Flame2 (1 of 1).jpg
Yup, pretty common as they mature.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Flame4 (1 of 1).jpg

Flame2 (1 of 1).jpg
looks great!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Flame4 (1 of 1).jpg

Flame2 (1 of 1).jpg
Yeah, it usually appears navy blue, but common.
It's around that size which they dull out and also take that turn.
I thought H. biocellatus maxed out a around 4"?
Max of 5"

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyhog I’m jealous of your male jordani... I’ve had my “guy” for a year and a half and it’s still stuck in the almost-kinda sub-male phase. Not female though, just not fully transitioning.

My meleagris is finally starting to go though! I’m wondering, if any of you that have had leopards turn male... do they change their sleep schedule while they transition?

Mine has been going to bed early and getting up late (slacker) the last few days and today I noticed the patterns on it’s side are very obviously mottled and the dark spots are starting to lighten on his face and across the top and bottom of his body. At first, I attributed it to daylight savings (it’s even hard on fish apparently[emoji38]) but thought maybe it could have something to do with him changing?

f1ec157f2ffa6cd9b697ed0912de3cce.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyhog I’m jealous of your male jordani... I’ve had my “guy” for a year and a half and it’s still stuck in the almost-kinda sub-male phase. Not female though, just not fully transitioning.

My meleagris is finally starting to go though! I’m wondering, if any of you that have had leopards turn male... do they change their sleep schedule while they transition?

Mine has been going to bed early and getting up late (slacker) the last few days and today I noticed the patterns on it’s side are very obviously mottled and the dark spots are starting to lighten on his face and across the top and bottom of his body. At first, I attributed it to daylight savings (it’s even hard on fish apparently[emoji38]) but thought maybe it could have something to do with him changing?

f1ec157f2ffa6cd9b697ed0912de3cce.jpg
Probably. Leopards have been known to bury for a day or two and then emerge fully transitioned, so all seems plausible to me.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's around that size which they dull out and also take that turn.

Max of 5"

Thanks will have to keep a close eye on him. My biocellatus is at the 5" mark but is almost twice as deep (top to bottom) and much thicker than the other two. It's my favourite fish.

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok....I don't mean to be dumb here because I have 13 Wrasses in my tank....but what kind of Wrasse is that?? It is really pretty! Looks similar to my Red Coris but without the yellow on the head.....here is mine....
80c473e0d7868d68441caa1d8d0ff380.jpg

Same family but an adult Formosa wrasse

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I was going to suggest a Formosa but I wasn't sure.....I have only seen juvi or sub adult Formosa.... beautiful fish though!

Yours is as well.... I was torn between the two of them...

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours is as well.... I was torn between the two of them...
LOL! I know what you mean....I was too....I have had mine almost 4 years....he was a little two inch juvi when I got him from a LFS. As he got bigger I had to glue every single coral colony to large rocks, and I can never set a small coral in the sand. He will over turn anything and everything looking for stuff. Plus no shrimp, snails, or hermits are safe with him. I can only have serpent or brittle stars as a cuc....lol....but I love him so he is worth it! [emoji16]

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all! I really love leopard wrasses and rare wrasses. what rare wrasses would be good in a 65 gallon tall reef? how difficult are leopard wrasses to care for? (after they have been weaned on to frozen food and treated for parasites)

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all! I really love leopard wrasses and rare wrasses. what rare wrasses would be good in a 65 gallon tall reef? how difficult are leopard wrasses to care for? (after they have been weaned on to frozen food and treated for parasites)
IMO leopards are more difficult than most Wrasses as far as getting them eatting and established, but as long as they are eatting frozen well, and once they are established, I personally don't think they are any more difficult. Personally if possible I would get them from a LFS that has had the one you are looking at for at least a week if not two weeks, and watch them feed them and make sure that they are eatting frozen before you bring them home. I have six Leopards, two blue stars, two Melegris, and two Moyers. All came from the same LFS.

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO leopards are more difficult than most Wrasses as far as getting the eatting and established, but as long as they are eatting frozen well, and once they are established, I personally don't think they are any more difficult. Personally if possible I would get them from a LFS that has had the one you are looking at for at least a week if not two weeks, and watch them feed them and make sure that are eatting frozen before you bring them home. I have six Leopards, two blue stars, two Melegris, and two Moyers. All came from the same LFS.
thanks! those are some nice wrasses you have!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back