The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video I just took of my Wrasses.....[emoji16]

Has that carpet nem ever tried to snag a wrasse? We just got a small melanurus for our BTA tank (in QT), and hubby went out and bought a gig [emoji15] Now, I’m worried it might end up a snack...

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has that carpet nem ever tried to snag a wrasse? We just got a small melanurus for our BTA tank (in QT), and hubby went out and bought a gig [emoji15] Now, I’m worried it might end up a snack...
Nope.....I have had carpets with my Wrasses for about 5 years....and never had a issue..."knock on wood". They all stay away from the carpet. Sometimes my red Coris will steal food from my bubble tips, but never come near my Haddoni......

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my new additions....
ef98b8c66852ec116ff0848f24dd9b59.jpg
Stunning wrasse and great photography.

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok....I don't mean to be dumb here because I have 13 Wrasses in my tank....but what kind of Wrasse is that?? It is really pretty! Looks similar to my Red Coris but without the yellow on the head.....here is mine....
80c473e0d7868d68441caa1d8d0ff380.jpg
How is the red coris as far as temperament? I was considering one but read they can be a little aggressive. I have a yellow and a flasher so far, also have an adult mel on the way.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the red coris as far as temperament? I was considering one but read they can be a little aggressive. I have a yellow and a flasher so far, also have an adult mel on the way.
My Red Coris is great.....not agressive to any other Wrasses or other fish. Now others might have had a different experience with one. One of my favorite Wrasses is the blue headed Wrasse. Thalasoma species. I had one for several years, not agressive to any fish. When he passed I got another one, that second one was horrible. Bullied all fish in the tank... Wrasses, Angels, Tangs, Blennies you name it. I took him back to the LFS, and never got another one, including any Thalasoma species.

IMO though I think generally the Red Coris is a great community fish. I did get mine as a tiny juvi too. He is one of my favorite. I can feed him out if my hand, but I am careful because he has teeth.... LOL!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Crescent and McCoskers in a 200G. I have an opportunity to get a Diamond Tail Wrasse. Trouble or 50/50 ?

If by Diamond Tail wrasse you mean Paracheilinus attenuatus it shouldn't be a problem, especially in a tank the size of yours. I would use an acclimation box to introduce but I doubt you will have any issues.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If by Diamond Tail wrasse you mean Paracheilinus attenuatus it shouldn't be a problem, especially in a tank the size of yours. I would use an acclimation box to introduce but I doubt you will have any issues.
Agree

Bowtechman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT is a 120 gallon FOWLR. Filtration: Magus 7, 20 gallon refugium, QO return pump, along with 2 power heads.
Currently it houses:
2Misbar Clown

1 Blue Green Chromis

1 Pajama Cardinal

1 Bangaii Cardinal

1 Diamond Goby

1Coral Beauty

FairyWrasse:

1 Exquisite

1 Rubeous

1 Temmerick

1 Filamented

Flasher Wrasse:

1 McKosker

1 Yellow Fin

I know the Filamented will most likely become a problem and I will try trapping him and rehome it to the Biocube 32 “reef tank”.
I’d like to add a Halichoeres. Am I overstocked already or do I have enough room for Melanuras or Christmas ?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT is a 120 gallon FOWLR. Filtration: Magus 7, 20 gallon refugium, QO return pump, along with 2 power heads.
Currently it houses:
2Misbar Clown

1 Blue Green Chromis

1 Pajama Cardinal

1 Bangaii Cardinal

1 Diamond Goby

1Coral Beauty

FairyWrasse:

1 Exquisite

1 Rubeous

1 Temmerick

1 Filamented

Flasher Wrasse:

1 McKosker

1 Yellow Fin

I know the Filamented will most likely become a problem and I will try trapping him and rehome it to the Biocube 32 “reef tank”.
I’d like to add a Halichoeres. Am I overstocked already or do I have enough room for Melanuras or Christmas ?
It is certainly beginning to sound like quite a few fish to me, but it's really a matter of what your filtration can support. Do your nitrates hold steady?
The filamentosus will certainly be an issue.

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should you do a social acclimation with flasher wrasses? I had a yellowfin and just introduced a blue. I initially put the blue in a shroom box to do a social acclimation but they both seemed totally disinterested in each other so I let it out after a couple hours. Shortly after the yellow fin was chasing it all over and forced it into a little gap between the overflow box and the side of the tank. This was about 2 hours before normal lights out so I killed the lights and left them that way until this morning. When the lights came on the yellow fin was chasing it around again so I was able to catch the blue and put it back in the shroom box. Any advice?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should you do a social acclimation with flasher wrasses? I had a yellowfin and just introduced a blue. I initially put the blue in a shroom box to do a social acclimation but they both seemed totally disinterested in each other so I let it out after a couple hours. Shortly after the yellow fin was chasing it all over and forced it into a little gap between the overflow box and the side of the tank. This was about 2 hours before normal lights out so I killed the lights and left them that way until this morning. When the lights came on the yellow fin was chasing it around again so I was able to catch the blue and put it back in the shroom box. Any advice?
I usually do 3 days, sometimes if everything is superchill I may only do two, but 3 is the norm.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back