The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree, the exquisite hasn’t been on my “list” but that one could definitely change my mind! I love the dark marks on his fins, I guess that is the African variant?
Looks like it. I know another reefer who just picked up one similar to it. I did prefer the Fijian and Vanuatu variant but seeing these has me thinking.

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the exquisite hasn’t been on my “list” but that one could definitely change my mind! I love the dark marks on his fins, I guess that is the African variant?
You know, I not quite sure. I've been wondering that myself. It definitely shows off its colors when hes flashing and chasing around my Male anthias and pin tail.

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it. I know another reefer who just picked up one similar to it. I did prefer the Fijian and Vanuatu variant but seeing these has me thinking.

He’s finally coming out and eating like a pig. I’ve seen hundreds of exquisites at wholesale and the two I picked up were truly the nicest. Pics don’t do it justice

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So strange I haven’t seen much of any of my new black leopard, he hides all weekend and when I get home I only see him for a few minutes before he hides in the sad, I think he is scared of me

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So strange I haven’t seen much of any of my new black leopard, he hides all weekend and when I get home I only see him for a few minutes before he hides in the sad, I think he is scared of me
Post a pic if you can. I don't see them very often in the hobby where I'm located.

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am picking up a 3" (I hope haven't seen him yet) male Melanurus in next few days from LFS. I have a 3"+ yellow wrasse and a smaller Carpenter Flasher. Do you think I need to put him in acclimation box after QT.? 125g tank. Other fish are pair of clowns, green chromis and a lawnmower blenny. The only fish that chases anything is the fat a.. blenny at feeding time. Going to be introducing more wrasse hopefully once every month or two.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am picking up a 3" (I hope haven't seen him yet) male Melanurus in next few days from LFS. I have a 3"+ yellow wrasse and a smaller Carpenter Flasher. Do you think I need to put him in acclimation box after QT.? 125g tank. Other fish are pair of clowns, green chromis and a lawnmower blenny. The only fish that chases anything is the fat a.. blenny at feeding time. Going to be introducing more wrasse hopefully once every month or two.
It's never a bad idea to use an acclimation box when introducing a new wrasse yo existing wrasses, but it should be ok if you skipped it this time since your current wrasses are pretty peaceful.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a leopard so bad. My LFS says there are hard to get acclimated. Do you find that true?

I’ve always QT’d mine, so I could focus on feeding, but I’ve never had one take longer than a week to start accepting foods. Usually start with something really small like cyclops or baby brine then larger brine and mysis. Once they get going, they are pretty hardy. I have three currently, they all eat everything I put in the tank including algae off the clip.

My moyers ate fine, but had a bit harder time acclimating to my tank since he was added later on. Buried for 7 weeks then touch and go for another week. I do think they do better being added earlier on in the stocking list so they have time to settle in before the tank is too “busy”.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I currently have an adult Melanurus wrasse and am waiting to grab a chrysus. My main goal is to have an army of pest eating wrasses in my tank (180g + 50g sump). Other than a sixline (which I don’t want) what other reef safe wrasse would you advise?

Many thanks and kind regards.

Additional suggestions would be welcome [emoji4]

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It can take them some time to sync up with our daylight schedules, give him a couple of weeks and you should see him more!

Last edited:

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up two small female M. bipartitus from another hobbyist last Saturday. He had them for maybe a month prior to selling them to me. He said they were eating all prepared foods and they appear healthy, though small when I picked them up.

I put them in my QT tank when I got home (tank established for several months with sand) and they immediately buried and I haven't seen them since. I wouldn't have thought they'd stay buried so long coming from another hobbyist. But, I also don't know of anything that could have really gone sideways so I guess I just wait them out. But, every day I don't see them I get more nervous. We're on day 5 now.

I've had M. bipartitus in the past along with other leopards so I know patience is key, but it's nerve wracking none the less!

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another note, when it comes to Leopards, is it better to stick with two females like this and eventually one may turn male, or is a trio any better option, with again, one eventually turning male?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back