The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My moyer’s came from another hobbyist, and still buried for 7 weeks in my tank [emoji15]

In the wild they form harems of multiple females to one male. In our tanks, though, they are slower to change from female to male so you are probably ok with just two. I try to stick with one per species as a rule, but I’ve seen several people on here with groups of two or three.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My moyer’s came from another hobbyist, and still buried for 7 weeks in my tank [emoji15]

In the wild they form harems of multiple females to one male. In our tanks, though, they are slower to change from female to male so you are probably ok with just two. I try to stick with one per species as a rule, but I’ve seen several people on here with groups of two or three.
Oh gosh, I didn't realize your moyer came from another hobbyist. I always figure there should be less stress involved if they come from another hobbyist and have already adjusted somewhat to tank life/time changes. These two are so small I'm not sure there would be anything left after 7 weeks.

It's possible they come out while I'm at work for a time, I have no way of knowing but I check before work, after work and evening and bedtime and no sign of them yet. I try to also study the sand to see if it's changed/moved. haha.

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My newest addition.
d67ddea40d25fb8c0613be92e9cb3d50.jpeg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gosh, I didn't realize your moyer came from another hobbyist. I always figure there should be less stress involved if they come from another hobbyist and have already adjusted somewhat to tank life/time changes. These two are so small I'm not sure there would be anything left after 7 weeks.

It's possible they come out while I'm at work for a time, I have no way of knowing but I check before work, after work and evening and bedtime and no sign of them yet. I try to also study the sand to see if it's changed/moved. haha.

I think mine was coming out and hunting the rocks at night while everyone else was sleeping. Because he would move from spot to spot under the sand (I could see his tail looking up from the sump lol)

And in his defense, the tank he came from was actually a pair gone wrong (which may not be reassuring for your pair) but both turned male very quickly and they fought. So, maybe coming from a “hostile” environment to another busy tank with other leopards... he was much more cautious. I’m not really sure, but that’s my best fish psychology analysis ;)

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another note, when it comes to Leopards, is it better to stick with two females like this and eventually one may turn male, or is a trio any better option, with again, one eventually turning male?

My black has been “hiding” for two weeks and seems to be fine, I wouldn’t be worried about your two new ones.
I think if the trio were collected together you should be fine. The bipartisus you got from me were originally 4 babies at the lfs. I bought two then two more 5 days later (couldn’t resist). Now of the second pair,
One died and I ended up with 3 females). Fast forward 1-2 year and one became male (from the original pair) and the second remained female. The 3rd was smaller and female but as time marched on was always chased by the male (non sexual more territorial) When you collected the two original from me, this one changed to partial male in a few days. She/he is still inbetween genders, but my potter and Melagris (who is massive) are both female. So I think if they start out from the same “catch” as female
I think you will be ok, but once you segregate I think you force a male to emerge.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think mine was coming out and hunting the rocks at night while everyone else was sleeping. Because he would move from spot to spot under the sand (I could see his tail looking up from the sump lol)

And in his defense, the tank he came from was actually a pair gone wrong (which may not be reassuring for your pair) but both turned male very quickly and they fought. So, maybe coming from a “hostile” environment to another busy tank with other leopards... he was much more cautious. I’m not really sure, but that’s my best fish psychology analysis ;)
I was told they were getting along since he'd had them and they're so small I can't imagine there's much issue yet. But, doesn't mean there won't be going forward. Assuming they ever re -emerge! I wish I could look up from the bottom at mine, but the QT sits on on a piece of plywood on top the stand, so no dice there.

Maybe I will look into a cheap webcam so I can spy on them any time I want and see if they are indeed coming out at all.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My black has been “hiding” for two weeks and seems to be fine, I wouldn’t be worried about your two new ones.
I think if the trio were collected together you should be fine. The bipartisus you got from me were originally 4 babies at the lfs. I bought two then two more 5 days later (couldn’t resist). Now of the second pair,
One died and I ended up with 3 females). Fast forward 1-2 year and one became male (from the original pair) and the second remained female. The 3rd was smaller and female but as time marched on was always chased by the male (non sexual more territorial) When you collected the two original from me, this one changed to partial male in a few days. She/he is still inbetween genders, but my potter and Melagris (who is massive) are both female. So I think if they start out from the same “catch” as female
I think you will be ok, but once you segregate I think you force a male to emerge.
I was considering picking up a third, that's coming into the LFS today, but not sure if it would mess things up. Though at this point in the game, there's nothing to mess up. lol The two I have as I understand it came into the LFS together, were swimming together and whatnot which is why the original owner bought both. My thought was since they're all small it might be ok, but maybe it would upset the balance.

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told they were getting along since he'd had them and they're so small I can't imagine there's much issue yet. But, doesn't mean there won't be going forward. Assuming they ever re -emerge! I wish I could look up from the bottom at mine, but the QT sits on on a piece of plywood on top the stand, so no dice there.

Maybe I will look into a cheap webcam so I can spy on them any time I want and see if they are indeed coming out at all.
I just posted a clip from my web cam if your interested.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have any other leopard species? @KJoFan Other than bi-partis? If so, definitely would get one of those instead [emoji12] #peerpressure

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have any other leopard species? @KJoFan Other than bi-partis? If so, definitely would get one of those instead [emoji12] #peerpressure
Right now I don't. I had a Potter's but lost it a couple months back. The only other wrasse I have that's close/similar is a Yellowtail Tamarin. The Leopards are some of my favorite wrasses for sure. I'm only just working on my fish/wrasse collection now and have the following so far:

A. meleagrides
C. isosceles
C. brunneus
2x M. bipartitus

I'm not sure what other leopards I really want though, besides Potter's, which are so hard and so hard to find these days. I'm not that into the M. meleagris....

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ornatus is pretty cool looking, I saw a tank with an ornate and potters together and the colors really complimented each other. If you are looking for something a bit more rare, NY aquatics has jeweled leopards but I just learned recently from @evolved that they are actually classified as a halichoeres, which I didn’t know :)

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I don't. I had a Potter's but lost it a couple months back. The only other wrasse I have that's close/similar is a Yellowtail Tamarin. The Leopards are some of my favorite wrasses for sure. I'm only just working on my fish/wrasse collection now and have the following so far:

A. meleagrides
C. isosceles
C. brunneus
2x M. bipartitus

I'm not sure what other leopards I really want though, besides Potter's, which are so hard and so hard to find these days. I'm not that into the M. meleagris....

If you find a source for Potters (a bunch of them) i would be interested in a "group buy", i would love to pick up a few more as they are my favorite also.

I often dream of a reef tank with 10 potters wrasse and a mandarin only.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you find a source for Potters (a bunch of them) i would be interested in a "group buy", i would love to pick up a few more as they are my favorite also.

I often dream of a reef tank with 10 potters wrasse and a mandarin only.

I’d go in on that buy too, but from what I understand they ship terribly. I keep crossing my fingers that one will show up at my LFS unexpectedly... It’s one fish I don’t really want to order online.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go in on that buy too, but from what I understand they ship terribly. I keep crossing my fingers that one will show up at my LFS unexpectedly... It’s one fish I don’t really want to order online.

Collin from Zoa collector is in Hawaii, he would be a good source or that guy that Bulk reef supply uses, not to mention skip a few middle man stops. Once it got to your LFS it’s seen so many other tanks and stressful events. That being said I think you buy more than you want assuming you will end up with less. The one I have came from live aquaria I ordered a trio and ended up with one.

Not sure where you are located but kjo is relatively local to me, (Minneapolis Minnesota)

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ornatus is pretty cool looking, I saw a tank with an ornate and potters together and the colors really complimented each other. If you are looking for something a bit more rare, NY aquatics has jeweled leopards but I just learned recently from @evolved that they are actually classified as a halichoeres, which I didn’t know :)
I had an ornate once upon a time but lost it after a tank move. They are nice looking. I've read they can be a bit more aggressive of the leopards, maybe?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back