The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collin from Zoa collector is in Hawaii, he would be a good source or that guy that Bulk reef supply uses, not to mention skip a few middle man stops. Once it got to your LFS it’s seen so many other tanks and stressful events. That being said I think you buy more than you want assuming you will end up with less. The one I have came from live aquaria I ordered a trio and ended up with one.

Not sure where you are located but kjo is relatively local to me, (Minneapolis Minnesota)
I reached out to Colin once several months back and he basically told me he only does wholesale now, unless I could come up with several fish I wanted to make it worth his time. I gave him about 4-5 different Hawaiian fish I'd be interested in from him depending on price, and he never really got back to me. So, he didn't seem very interested in a one off order. That said, if we could round up enough to make it worth it MAYBE he'd consider it, but I'm not sure. I got some Potter's from him once that didn't end up making it long term but they came in the healthiest I've seen, save the one I bought off DD that apparently ended up with a case of flukes and died on me. I was so disappointed as it was super healthy and eating prior to that. I really would like to have at least one in my tank though if at all possible.

And, I agree, I tend to buy several in hopes of keeping one, which is sad but the way it is with these sometimes. I know @HairyGary has a wholesaler he gets his fish through but that one won't ship the Potter's. So, we could maybe try to pursue Colin but my last exchange with him wasn't real hopeful. Let me know what you think @Jstn via PM.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collin from Zoa collector is in Hawaii, he would be a good source or that guy that Bulk reef supply uses, not to mention skip a few middle man stops. Once it got to your LFS it’s seen so many other tanks and stressful events. That being said I think you buy more than you want assuming you will end up with less. The one I have came from live aquaria I ordered a trio and ended up with one.

Not sure where you are located but kjo is relatively local to me, (Minneapolis Minnesota)

No where near Minnesota, I’m in PA. But, if you guys find a good wholesale source and are willing to drop-ship one my way let me know! I’ll meet it at the airport :)

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what's that? And where can I get one?

Hemi Flasher from Madagascar. Among The Reef might have one supermale left (slightly bigger than this one). Not cheap at all but not the most expensive wrasse I’ve been offered. Less than a Claire’s fairy wrasse or a sanguine fairy wrasse.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering picking up a third, that's coming into the LFS today, but not sure if it would mess things up. Though at this point in the game, there's nothing to mess up. lol The two I have as I understand it came into the LFS together, were swimming together and whatnot which is why the original owner bought both. My thought was since they're all small it might be ok, but maybe it would upset the balance.
I wouldn't do that - it could potentially ruin any chance you have with the existing two.
Paracheilinus hemitaeniatus on my dream list......
I had the first one that came into the states over a year ago - but another fish in the same shipment also came with a nice case of velvet - pretty much lost everything in the QT by the time I caught it (day 2). ;Shifty :mad: ;Punch
Truth be told - I'm done spending more than $500 on any Paracheilinus. They just don't have a long enough life span for me to justify it anymore.
Sure, that hemitaeniatus that Elgringo picked up is stunning, but if it has more than 2 years of life left in it, he did good.
NY aquatics has jeweled leopards but I just learned recently from @evolved that they are actually classified as a halichoeres, which I didn’t know
I have a group of 4, and they've done fine together (so far). It's been several years and only one of them is starting to turn, so we'll see what the long-haul is like.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have been after a Potters Wrasse.....I had one for a long time and lost him in June. My LFS that I buy all my Leopards from.... actually all 13 of my Wrasses....have been trying to get me one since July. I wish we all could go in one a large group buy from one of these collectors/wholesalers......[emoji16]

HumuhumuFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My newest addition! Snapped a quick phone pic in the acclimation container.
7594da7fc3091619e30277d90fbd4b50.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back