The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, lineatus is back in QT again. Was good for a few days, but then got the upper hand on the pintail and it went downhill from there. Guess it's time to rehome it... :(

How long did you keep him in time out? The last time I had to do this I left the aggressor in my QT for 6 or 7 weeks. I would hate for you to have to part with such a beautiful fish! Where do you live? :D

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you keep him in time out? The last time I had to do this I left the aggressor in my QT for 6 or 7 weeks. I would hate for you to have to part with such a beautiful fish! Where do you live? :D
I’m not a wrasse expert, but I had a comment in line with what salty is saying. I had a mean clownfish that terrorized the other clowns. I put him in my sump for about a year (no kidding...had a light and everything), but was a model citizen when I returned him.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like two weeks... but I don’t think it’s going to work with only two other fairies, and I don’t really want to add many more fish right now. It’s OK, she’s going in a fair trade to a local member, so it’s all good :) Who knows, maybe I’ll try another eventually...

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anampses chrysocephalus female. Psych head wrasse....well I hope so one day but super stoked even as a female!

88C27CA1-B4B8-4037-8C1D-E8F4BE0F53C4.jpeg
Whered you get it?

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have a build thread yet but maybe I will take a video....I have a 265 gallon display and a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock sump.... Also a 60 gallon tank plumbed into system as well.... Use chemi pure elite and I have a bio pellet reactor... In sump lots of marine pure product... Not rock or anything....
290759bd8e588f666b35d65441127294.jpg
9fecc94f94548bf6b743bdfa1c1ac711.jpg

How many bags of chemi pure elite at a time? Change monthly?

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many bags of chemi pure elite at a time? Change monthly?

A lot of them.... I prob change quarterly... But I have a ton of marine pure bricks for bio and the spheres they sell... 114 watt uv... A charcoal reactor as well.. Another pond built thing that has bio stuff in that.. And weekly water changes of 100 gallons..

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrible pic but look who came out today.

48e3738f214706a6dbdbbbd2d1961205.jpg
So, I'm thinking these two have been coming out possibly earlier than this past Saturday. Both Saturday and Sunday they were out for a few hours in the middle of the day. During the week I am away from home from 7:30-5:30 so I've probably just missed them. Any tips on how to get them transitioned to a time of day I'm around so I can feed them? Otherwise, they're only getting fed on the weekend once or twice until they take to the sand again.

Currently my QT tank doesn't have it's own light, it just get ambient light from the room.

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently (like three days ago) picked up a trio of red tail Tamarin/Psychadelic wrasses...fully transitioned male and two females. I'm curious what can happen to one that can result in the attachment of a pectoral fin turning bloody and the fish not using it. He was fine yesterday before he buried himself for the night. Today upon rising, he had the condition I just described. It's almost like he was overly vigorous when he buried last night and hit a rock. My question is along the lines of has anyone witnessed this before...and if so, did the fish recover?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently (like three days ago) picked up a trio of red tail Tamarin/Psychadelic wrasses...fully transitioned male and two females. I'm curious what can happen to one that can result in the attachment of a pectoral fin turning bloody and the fish not using it. He was fine yesterday before he buried himself for the night. Today upon rising, he had the condition I just described. It's almost like he was overly vigorous when he buried last night and hit a rock. My question is along the lines of has anyone witnessed this before...and if so, did the fish recover?
No picture?

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm thinking these two have been coming out possibly earlier than this past Saturday. Both Saturday and Sunday they were out for a few hours in the middle of the day. During the week I am away from home from 7:30-5:30 so I've probably just missed them. Any tips on how to get them transitioned to a time of day I'm around so I can feed them? Otherwise, they're only getting fed on the weekend once or twice until they take to the sand again.

Currently my QT tank doesn't have it's own light, it just get ambient light from the room.
Anyone?

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for my 4th wrasse into a 125g with a couple of clowns and a green chromis. So far Carpenter Flasher, Yellow, and Melanarus. Any suggestions on the 4th one in? So far have a peaceful community and would like to keep it that way. Would love a leopard but sounds like from reading all the posts their survival rate is a bit iffy?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I only have two suggestions, and neither may be a great option for you. Either have the tank in an area where you can set the photo period on a timer in sync with your reef system, or you can start feeding them a little later each day in order to get them to stay up longer.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can tell you from my limited experience with blue stars , radiant wrasses and red tail tamarins .

I used to have the photo period in my qt system from 3 pm until 11 pm at night . I would try and feed every hour for that period for the first 3 weeks .
Then over the course of next 3 weeks I slowly changed the photo period to slowly match my tank’s before moving them in .
My tank still runs mostly from noon till night 12 as that’s the time we are at home and I can feed my tank on the hour every hour .

Now that am travelling , things have changed but my wife tries to keep them fed at least 3 times a day .

Regards,
Abhishek

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have two suggestions, and neither may be a great option for you. Either have the tank in an area where you can set the photo period on a timer in sync with your reef system, or you can start feeding them a little later each day in order to get them to stay up longer.

I can tell you from my limited experience with blue stars , radiant wrasses and red tail tamarins .

I used to have the photo period in my qt system from 3 pm until 11 pm at night . I would try and feed every hour for that period for the first 3 weeks .
Then over the course of next 3 weeks I slowly changed the photo period to slowly match my tank’s before moving them in .
My tank still runs mostly from noon till night 12 as that’s the time we are at home and I can feed my tank on the hour every hour .

Now that am travelling , things have changed but my wife tries to keep them fed at least 3 times a day .

Regards,
Abhishek

So, I can add a light specifically to the QT tank and start a specific photoperiod for it. Might not quite match the main tank, but would hopefully encourage them to stay out late enough I can feed them when I get home.

The QT is actually pretty near my main tank so it gets some light, on the same cycle, but apparently not quite enough to affect them?

So far, they aren't up at all during hours I'm home during the week. Today I was home around 1 pm on and I only managed to see one out, that I fed. The other may have been out before I got home, but I can't be sure. So, I can try feeding later and later, but I can only do that on weekends so far (we're in week 2 now). Any other sand dwellers I've had in QT I've never had to adjust like this, even with only ambient room light they figure it out and stay out during daytime hours. These girls are either confused or just uncomfortable so far. They do both eat readily when I can manage to catch them out though.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I can add a light specifically to the QT tank and start a specific photoperiod for it. Might not quite match the main tank, but would hopefully encourage them to stay out late enough I can feed them when I get home.
Sounds like a good plan. It should help move things the right way.
The QT is actually pretty near my main tank so it gets some light, on the same cycle, but apparently not quite enough to affect them?
If the ambient light is nearly as bright as the spill over from the main tank, it probably wouldn't make much difference.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What foods are they eating so far? Anything that could be put into an auto feeder?

Maybe put an algae clip in for them to graze during the day? All of my leopards eat from the clip.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back