The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually do 3 days, sometimes if everything is superchill I may only do two, but 3 is the norm.

Wow ok, I have it in the box with a little rock so it can feel more secure. That it? I should be able to squirt food in through the gaps on the top

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it can see the other fish, and the other fish can see it, that should suffice.

Would you recommend taking the rock out so it’s completely open? I assumed that would be super stressful but I also don’t want to prevent the social interactions from playing out

Bowtechman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is certainly beginning to sound like quite a few fish to me, but it's really a matter of what your filtration can support. Do your nitrates hold steady?
The filamentosus will certainly be an issue.
Yes, nitrates hold steady. I do a water change every 10-14 days.
I’m leaning towards leaving well enough alone, aside from trapping and moving the Filamentosus.
Thank you.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually do 3 days, sometimes if everything is superchill I may only do two, but 3 is the norm.
That's my typical protocol as well.
Would you recommend taking the rock out so it’s completely open? I assumed that would be super stressful but I also don’t want to prevent the social interactions from playing out
A bit of rock is fine. Giving the fish some ability to find a sense of cover in the box is fine and helps keep the stress down.

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small piece, so it has a degree of cover is fine, more than that then you are defeating the purp

It’s small. It’s been put in the open and the yellow fin has been right next to it so they are definitely being exposed to each other

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s small. It’s been put in the open and the yellow fin has been right next to it so they are definitely being exposed to each other
And seeing your picture in the other thread, you'll have a box floating around the tank without the rock weighing it down! :) Looks okay to me.

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what you guys think this male is? Was told it may be flavidorsalis but it looks nothing like the pictures when searching for that particular fairy wrasse. He's tiny, no mare than 2.5-3"

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what you guys think this male is? Was told it may be flavidorsalis but it looks nothing like the pictures when searching for that particular fairy wrasse. He's tiny, no mare than 2.5-3"

That's filamentosus; a no-go if you wish to have any other wrasses.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve posted in my build thread, but I wanted to double check. I’m pretty sure I know the answer, just hoping maybe I’m wrong...

Flame wrasse was well established in my tank. Added pintail and lineatus “female”. Lineatus is trying to turn male, and becoming very aggressive with both of the other fairy wrasses that were already male.

I’ve caught the lineatus and will be moving it to my QT temporarily. But, is there any chance of reintroduction at this point (after x amount of time in QT to let my other fish recover) or will it likely be better off rehomed? I can’t imagine the flame being any more established in a few weeks since he was here almost two years prior and still wouldn’t stand up for himself :(

I wanted to post an update on this. I didn’t end up finding another fairy wrasse that I wanted to introduce with the lineatus, but keeping the lineatus in QT while the pintail had time to settle in, seems to have done the trick. The pintail is now the “alpha” and is keeping her in check. She’s been out of the acclimation box for 24 hours now, and so far so good!

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wanted to post an update on this. I didn’t end up finding another fairy wrasse that I wanted to introduce with the lineatus, but keeping the lineatus in QT while the pintail had time to settle in, seems to have done the trick. The pintail is now the “alpha” and is keeping her in check. She’s been out of the acclimation box for 24 hours now, and so far so good!
Great to hear!

I have an established Lineatus and any male wrasse I try to add that is about the same size 3.5 inches, he does drive by flashes at the acclimation box . So have resorted to adding females and all is good.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I currently have an adult Melanurus wrasse and am waiting to grab a chrysus. My main goal is to have an army of pest eating wrasses in my tank (180g + 50g sump). Other than a sixline (which I don’t want) what other reef safe wrasse would you advise?

Many thanks and kind regards.

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I currently have an adult Melanurus wrasse and am waiting to grab a chrysus. My main goal is to have an army of pest eating wrasses in my tank (180g + 50g sump). Other than a sixline (which I don’t want) what other reef safe wrasse would you advise?

Many thanks and kind regards.
That's what I've been doing. I have a juvie yellow coris, a blue star leopard and a black leopard as well as a yellow tail tamarin. All of them can be seen foraging on the live rock all day. I'll try to see if I can post a video.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT is a 120 gallon FOWLR. Filtration: Magus 7, 20 gallon refugium, QO return pump, along with 2 power heads.
Currently it houses:
2Misbar Clown

1 Blue Green Chromis

1 Pajama Cardinal

1 Bangaii Cardinal

1 Diamond Goby

1Coral Beauty

FairyWrasse:

1 Exquisite

1 Rubeous

1 Temmerick

1 Filamented

Flasher Wrasse:

1 McKosker

1 Yellow Fin

I know the Filamented will most likely become a problem and I will try trapping him and rehome it to the Biocube 32 “reef tank”.
I’d like to add a Halichoeres. Am I overstocked already or do I have enough room for Melanuras or Christmas ?
My Christmas is a mean guy. Thankfully it was added last but it is not friendly to any new coming wrasse

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back