View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
180g having
Carpenter flasher wrasse
Labout's fairy wrasse
Exquisite fairy wrasse
Yellow and purple wrasse (H. Leucoxanthus)

Can i add another halichoeres, preferably Melanurus wrasse (H.melanurus) or Red lined wrasse (H.biocellatus)
Either of those should be fine.
I have a question for the wrasse experts here. I have two dragonets in the tank already so what kind of wrasse can I keep that won't compete with them for pods? I would appreciate the advice.
Fairy and flasher wrasses fit the bill.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add more wrasse to my 75.. Currently the only fish in the tank are a temmincki fairy, rosy scale fairy, and an angular flasher which were all just added. I've never really done a wrasse tank and I'm not sure how many I can get away with but here's a list of things I'm looking at. I obviously can't do all of them so I need recommendations off this list

Black leopard
Divided leopard
McKoskers flasher
Carpenters flasher
Eight line flasher
Pink margin
Rhomboids
Flame
Scott's
Hooded
Lineatus

The only thing I may add that's not a wrasse is a goby or blenny of some sort.

jake_francis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add more wrasse to my 75.. Currently the only fish in the tank are a temmincki fairy, rosy scale fairy, and an angular flasher which were all just added. I've never really done a wrasse tank and I'm not sure how many I can get away with but here's a list of things I'm looking at. I obviously can't do all of them so I need recommendations off this list

Black leopard
Divided leopard
McKoskers flasher
Carpenters flasher
Eight line flasher
Pink margin
Rhomboids
Flame
Scott's
Hooded
Lineatus

The only thing I may add that's not a wrasse is a goby or blenny of some sort.

Pink margin and lineatus will have an issue.

HKAVR45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking question for the experts:

This is my first foray with the wrasse species outside of a six-line. I have a Reefer 525XL (110G) with a 1.5-2" sand bed. Mixed reef Zoas/LPS, limited SPS.

The current stock is:
1 Royal Gramma
1 Neon Dottyback

I really want to add the following:
1 Yellow Wrasse
1 Melanurus Wrasse
1 Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse

But I'm also considering:
1 Red Fin Fairy Wrasse
1 Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse

Is there a certain order I should follow introducing these fish? Are the wrasses compatible? Will they be fine with the current stock list? Can the first three be introduced together?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently the only fish in the tank are a temmincki fairy, rosy scale fairy, and an angular flasher which were all just added. I've never really done a wrasse tank and I'm not sure how many I can get away with but here's a list of things I'm looking at. I obviously can't do all of them so I need recommendations off this list

Black leopard
Divided leopard
McKoskers flasher
Carpenters flasher
Eight line flasher
Pink margin
Rhomboids
Flame
Scott's
Hooded
Lineatus
temminckii can be a bit on the bossy side. Provided that the individual you keep doesn't have a bad temperament, adding more is feasible. However, given the tank size I would avoid both the pink margin and lineatus. The Scotts is an absolute "must avoid" too. Always use an acclimation box when adding any new ones.
Stocking question for the experts:

This is my first foray with the wrasse species outside of a six-line. I have a Reefer 525XL (110G) with a 1.5-2" sand bed. Mixed reef Zoas/LPS, limited SPS.

The current stock is:
1 Royal Gramma
1 Neon Dottyback

I really want to add the following:
1 Yellow Wrasse
1 Melanurus Wrasse
1 Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse

But I'm also considering:
1 Red Fin Fairy Wrasse
1 Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse

Is there a certain order I should follow introducing these fish? Are the wrasses compatible? Will they be fine with the current stock list? Can the first three be introduced together?
The 3 on your wish-list are fine. Best to add the two Halichoeres at the same time or in near proximity. Slightly safer to add the flasher before them. All together for the three is okay too, if that's your preference. The two fairys your considering could be okay also, but there is aggression risk with the Solon fairy.
Neon dottybacks can be aggressive - but I don't have any experience with them.

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
temminckii can be a bit on the bossy side. Provided that the individual you keep doesn't have a bad temperament, adding more is feasible. However, given the tank size I would avoid both the pink margin and lineatus. The Scotts is an absolute "must avoid" too. Always use an acclimation box when adding any new ones.

The 3 on your wish-list are fine. Best to add the two Halichoeres at the same time or in near proximity. Slightly safer to add the flasher before them. All together for the three is okay too, if that's your preference. The two fairys your considering could be okay also, but there is aggression risk with the Solon fairy.
Neon dottybacks can be aggressive - but I don't have any experience with them.
Thank you for the response ! I will keep an eye on the temminckii and will take the Scott's, pink margin, and lineatus off my list. Are there any nice wrasse I'm missing from my list that you would suggest I take a look at ?

Leo58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the posts about the type of wrasse that won't compete for pods with my dragonets. Will flasher and fairy wrasses be safe with sexy and Pederson shrimp?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the posts about the type of wrasse that won't compete for pods with my dragonets. Will flasher and fairy wrasses be safe with sexy and Pederson shrimp?

I am not sure i would call any fish 100% safe with anemone shrimp that dont have an anemone, but fairy and flasher wrasse wont actively hunt pods or the shrimp [emoji4]

Leo58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answering! I do have lots of anemones (mini carpet and rock flower and BTA). Although my Pederson has no anemones since my sexy gang claims all of them.;)

Djbrandriff150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to feed my tank and I see my shark fin naoko wrasse flying around the tank with his shark fin up. Just an awesome thing to see I had to share. No video so I borrowed this pic from the thread
8db045814d8ecf22a27ce3143958a56b.jpg

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190306_180145.jpg
Anyone have an ID on this one? I ordered a lubbocks. In the bag I thought that it was a koi but after acclimating I was think a yellow fin, but none if the quite fit. To me it certainly looks like a transitioning stafe. What do you guys think @eatbreakfast

VJM 21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a leopard wrassse qt question...I currently have a transitioning meleagris (2.5”) and a black leopard (same length, but not as fat) in an old 28 gallon biocube that I use for qt. I’m planning to pick up a large male blue star leopard (really large). Any guesses as to how this will go? I’d add the two existing wrasses to my display, but I’m breaking down that tank in the next 1-2 months and I don’t want to deal with catching them. All three will have to co-exist in qt for about 3 months until my new tank is set up and ready.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I figure this is the place to ask this question. I normally research my fish well before I buy and half the time talk myself out of them anyways. About 4 months ago I was placing a live aquaria order and needed more to get free shipping. So I went through and decided on a leopard wrasse, because surely it's like my melanarus and will be fine. I was in a hurry didn't read and just bought. I'm 4 month in now and in the last few weeks and have discovered I had no idea what I was doing. It's a 90 gallon tank and it will be a year old next month. I have a healthy pod population and she seems to be doing good. Is there anything else I need to do for her? Did I just get lucky and my tank was ready for her? Any future issues with the melanarus? thanks.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provided you feed them right, there's no risk. The only way they might go after those is if they got really hungry. Like, you stopped feeding anything for 10+ days hungry.
20190306_180145.jpg
Anyone have an ID on this one? I ordered a lubbocks. In the bag I thought that it was a koi but after acclimating I was think a yellow fin, but none if the quite fit. To me it certainly looks like a transitioning stafe. What do you guys think @eatbreakfast
You ordered a lubbocki, and you got a lubbocki. :)
Any guesses as to how this will go?
Probably okay. Just a guess though.
All three will have to co-exist in qt for about 3 months until my new tank is set up and ready.
You will likely find yourself struggling to keep them fed well. Fed often, in small amounts. You might need to do such 4-5 times a day.
Is there anything else I need to do for her?
Provided the fish is out and about during the day and maintaining weight, not really.
Any future issues with the melanarus?
If it's been this long and they're okay so far together, probably not. But there's not much certainty with animal behavior; things could change.

VJM 21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably okay. Just a guess though.

You will likely find yourself struggling to keep them fed well. Fed often, in small amounts. You might need to do such 4-5 times a day.

Thank you - I’ll do my best to make that happen.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a large leopard wrasse, at least 3.5 inches.

Would I be able to add 2-3 small females if I use an acclimation box? This would be for a 180g tank.

Another question, I currently have a large yellow coris wrasse probably around 3.5 inches too. Would I be able to add another 2-3 yellow coris wrasse?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back