010D77D9-46B0-4688-9A7E-599E91E93434.jpeg
Giving this one another try. Pic is dark but it’s a Potter’s

Captain_Glass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the bluehead wrasse He was eaten by my wife’s angler. I’m not sure how that’s even physically possible since the wrasse was about 4 inches and the angler is about 1.5 but I’ve never seen him so fat and i moved all the rocks around and the wrasse is nowhere to be found. Now I’m worried the angler will die because it was such a large meal although he hadn’t eaten much since the grouper got in the tank and steals all of the food.

My wife came in and woke me up this morning saying she’s never seen Rocco so fat and happy and I told her it’s because he just had a $20 meal and she couldn’t believe he ate a fish so much larger than him either.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Especially for the nano guys. They don’t require as much territory.
I don't like to see a Paracheilinus in a tank less than 3 feet in length. When they do their "thing", they need that much space.
Yes, potters wrasses need sand.
+2
I'll stress away and perish without one for sure.

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Need some advice. Have a 150 that will be a bare bottom sps dominated tank with some angels mainly.

I’m looking for 2-4 different reef safe wrasses. Any suggestion? Looking for some that are colorful and I hate using the term “rare” but less common maybe?

Also what’s a good price for a super male Pylie wrasse? Is this a decent choice? Maybe this and 2 more?

Thanks!

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking about getting a potters wrasse. Please let us know what you are doing for acclimation and QT setup! Do these species need a sand bed 100%?
sadly he didn't last 2 days. These guys are tuff and may abandon them all together unless I find someone who is selling one thats been established

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for 2-4 different reef safe wrasses. Any suggestion? Looking for some that are colorful and I hate using the term “rare” but less common maybe?

Also what’s a good price for a super male Pylie wrasse? Is this a decent choice? Maybe this and 2 more?
Given the barebottom tank, you'll want to look towards Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus. What's appeal to you may not be the same as everyone else. :)
As for pylei - can be an aggressive species - proceed with caution.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the barebottom tank, you'll want to look towards Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus. What's appeal to you may not be the same as everyone else. :)
As for pylei - can be an aggressive species - proceed with caution.

I had a Pylei once and I couldn't keep any other wrasses or similar shaped fish with it. Was just too mean. I now steer clear of them and similar species due to the level of aggression they display.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Cirrhilabrus rubeus for quite some time now. Going on about 4 years. When I originally purchased him, he was a fully grown transitioned male. About a year ago, he started to become less dominant and aggressive. Now, I rarely, if ever, see him flash his colors, though his colors don't seem to have faded much. He gets bossed about a bit by my Lubbocks, but nothing too bad. They used to flair off at one another, but now the rubeus would rather have none of it. He still eats, but not as much of a pig as the others. He looks a bit thin, but not too bad. Nowhere near as fat as the others.

Does this indicate the rubeus is nearing the end of his life? How long do they typically live? What kind of signs do they show when they are about to go?

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Released my new lineatus male into my tank this week, no aggression thus far, also just picked up a Macropharyngodon negrosesis, (she went right into the dt I don’t qt leopards), now I have a potters, a Melagris and a bipartisus

Until I grab a pic of both my new fish, here is my massive melagris female

7D3220BA-D789-4FED-929C-A93DD0C20B5C.jpeg

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soory I have a melanurus wrasse. I was curious if they would be okay with other wrasse or not?

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
010D77D9-46B0-4688-9A7E-599E91E93434.jpeg
Giving this one another try. Pic is dark but it’s a Potter’s

Where are you finding potters ? I have one established but it took 8 losses sadley, IME with leopards they are the hardest to get to survive of the common leopards (fish under $100). I have had my best luck with all leopard just letting them go into my dt. I keep a qt running 24/7 and every time I try to qt a leopard they seem to parish; anecdotally I think it may be related to
qt ph being low (7.5-7.6). I think the main concern once they are acclimated is deworming them, I feed general cure + focus and mysis to help. I also don’t use my acclimation box, they usually dive into the sand and chill for 1-3 days. If it hides for a few days that’s generally a good sign.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve posted in my build thread, but I wanted to double check. I’m pretty sure I know the answer, just hoping maybe I’m wrong...

Flame wrasse was well established in my tank. Added pintail and lineatus “female”. Lineatus is trying to turn male, and becoming very aggressive with both of the other fairy wrasses that were already male.

I’ve caught the lineatus and will be moving it to my QT temporarily. But, is there any chance of reintroduction at this point (after x amount of time in QT to let my other fish recover) or will it likely be better off rehomed? I can’t imagine the flame being any more established in a few weeks since he was here almost two years prior and still wouldn’t stand up for himself :(

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you finding potters ? I have one established but it took 8 losses sadley, IME with leopards they are the hardest to get to survive of the common leopards (fish under $100). I have had my best luck with all leopard just letting them go into my dt. I keep a qt running 24/7 and every time I try to qt a leopard they seem to parish; anecdotally I think it may be related to
qt ph being low (7.5-7.6). I think the main concern once they are acclimated is deworming them, I feed general cure + focus and mysis to help. I also don’t use my acclimation box, they usually dive into the sand and chill for 1-3 days. If it hides for a few days that’s generally a good sign.
My local LFS. First 2 were eating but died within a week. 3rd one I really rolled the dice on and 2 days later gone. Have a friend who go one ( his first one ) and it’s doing great

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back