The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have had a supermale lineatus wrasse in my DT for about 3 weeks. I have a supermale golden rhomboid that I had in QT for 2 weeks and then I had in an acclimation box for 1 week. The lineatus didn't show any interest when the acclimation box was in the DT but as soon as I let the golden rhomboid out, the lineatus started chasing him around. Nothing too crazy, at least not during the 1 hour it was before lights went out.

They are around the same size, if anything the golden rhomboid may be bigger. Should I just keep an eye on this or is this asking for a problem? I thought it would be fine as it is in a 180g SPS dominant tank with a lot of other wrasses.

Keep an eye on them. A little chasing is to be expected. If the rhomboid is constantly hiding or not eating well you will have to intervene. In a tank as big as yours I bet it will be ok but you never know how individuals are going to act.

I agree. There will always be a little hierarchical period where one will show dominance. The Rhomboid is generally a little shy. But like @saltyhog said, if it is constant chasing and the Rhomboid is hiding and not eating then I would intervene. Good luck!

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all, I've been slowly stocking my 425xl heavily toward wrasses. Currently I have a transitioning Malanurus, a yellow wrasse, Red Fin Fairy, and a Choate in quarantine.
I'd really like to add a flame and finally a flasher or two if possible (different types).

In terms of Flasher's I'm partial to the Blue Flasher and the Diamond Tail Flasher.

Thus far all my fish are getting along just fine without aggression- Going on 3 months. Basically the three wrasses in there thus far ignore each other. The only other inhabitants are a couple small clowns, a Tomini Tang, Black Cap Basslet, and 2 fire fish.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any insights!

Adding the two Flashers you mention will not be an issue but always use acclimation box. I see potential issue with the redfin accepting a flame but again use acclimation box and watch for any aggression toward the flame.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Keep an eye on them. A little chasing is to be expected. If the rhomboid is constantly hiding or not eating well you will have to intervene. In a tank as big as yours I bet it will be ok but you never know how individuals are going to act.

I agree. There will always be a little hierarchical period where one will show dominance. The Rhomboid is generally a little shy. But like @saltyhog said, if it is constant chasing and the Rhomboid is hiding and not eating then I would intervene. Good luck!

Thanks! The aggression is pretty much already all gone and the golden rhomboid is cruising all over the tank and eating everything I feed :)

jake_francis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had a supermale lineatus wrasse in my DT for about 3 weeks. I have a supermale golden rhomboid that I had in QT for 2 weeks and then I had in an acclimation box for 1 week. The lineatus didn't show any interest when the acclimation box was in the DT but as soon as I let the golden rhomboid out, the lineatus started chasing him around. Nothing too crazy, at least not during the 1 hour it was before lights went out.

They are around the same size, if anything the golden rhomboid may be bigger. Should I just keep an eye on this or is this asking for a problem? I thought it would be fine as it is in a 180g SPS dominant tank with a lot of other wrasses.

Not an issue. Just keep an eye on them. I have a medium size purple tang that usually breaks up any aggression in my tank. So far everyone’s behaving nicely (lineatus, pintail, rhomboid, yellow coris, cleaner, tri color, moyer, mccosker, ornate, labouti, purple tang, basselet, mandarin goby, pair or clowns, pair anthias).

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Leopard, IMO, got to be the most beautiful of the Leopard. I would love to see picture of any Leopard that rival the look of my Male Black Leopard with Florescent Aqua-blue scales pictured below. Male and Female Black Leopard
BlackLeopardWrasse2019071001Male.jpg

NegrosensisLeopard2019060301.jpg

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Leopard, IMO, got to be the most beautiful of the Leopard. I would love to see picture of any Leopard that rival the look of my Male Black Leopard with Florescent Aqua-blue scales pictured below. Male and Female Black Leopard
NegrosensisLeopard2019060301.jpg

I fully agree and cameras miss the metallic coloring of these leopards.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I woke up today and am -1 female m. bipartitus, didn't come out at all when the lights came on or for feeding. Back at the tank after a few hours of fun with a leaking AWC vessel, and there is a mostly transitioned male m. bipartitus swimming around.

Honestly I was hoping it wouldn't change, lost that flashy red but hoping he colours up really well. Didn't think they would change that quickly, but then again I may not have noticed it over the last day or so.

Seasidedeb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I woke up today and am -1 female m. bipartitus, didn't come out at all when the lights came on or for feeding. Back at the tank after a few hours of fun with a leaking AWC vessel, and there is a mostly transitioned male m. bipartitus swimming around.

Honestly I was hoping it wouldn't change, lost that flashy red but hoping he colours up really well. Didn't think they would change that quickly, but then again I may not have noticed it over the last day or so.
Can you snap a picture. I would love to see him. I think mine is in the process of transitioning too.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you snap a picture. I would love to see him. I think mine is in the process of transitioning too.
I've been trying to get a pic after work yesterday and today, he won't stay still enough and it turns out blurry :( If I'm near the tank too much right now he goes and hides under the acro archway, but I'll get one sooner than later.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to get a pic after work yesterday and today, he won't stay still enough and it turns out blurry :( If I'm near the tank too much right now he goes and hides under the acro archway, but I'll get one sooner than later.
You should have a short range Telephoto lens so you don’t have to get too close to the tank. Fish act more natural if you are not right next to them trying to take picture.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjusting nicely in QT :)

IMG_9636.JPG
IMG_9640.JPG

So he keeps scaring the H*** out of me. The last three mornings I find him in a corner laying on his side or even upside down, breathing seems a touch fast but not really gasping. Once I feed he rights himself swims and eats, then goes down to the bottom and lays there again. A few hours later he's up and swimming and hunting actively. I've watched him bury in the sand I have for him in the evenings and then in the morning I find him looking dead again. Is he a late riser?? lol

Just odd behavior- I did a fresh water dip and no Flukes to speak of. He's currently on day 6 of QT and in 1.75ppm copper power . I've also dosed General Cure once and a few days later Metroplex. He's a bit of a picky eater. He'll go after live brine but is otherwise quite picky. He will eat fish eggs and maybe takes a few arctipods but not very robustly.

I guess he's ok and it may be the copper making him a bit lethargic in the mornings......anyone have thoughts?

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did two rounds of Prazi after losing a couple wrasse, my pintail has this white spot/bump just below his dorsal fin; is this a skin fluke ? Today would be day 6 after the second treatment and I’m debating on doing a third
D290D580-1F52-4084-90D1-FDECA9CD8454.jpeg
8DD7AE4A-3D2A-4E51-8912-52267069A442.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back