The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
470a1baaa6fed45973f1ae6b11920d46.jpg

Swimming in spirals like this. I think he hit the top of the tank lid. He was perfectly fine for over a month till yesterday when I saw him like this so I put him in an acclimation box. He still eats but obviously has a really hard time swimming. Any chance he recovers?

There is a chance but with spinal injuries, the longer he goes without improvement the less likely there is to be any.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything I can do to help besides making sure he isnt getting beating around and still eating?

I have always moved them to my cycled QT and turned down the flow, dimmed the lights and tried to place the food with a pipette in a way to make it easier to eat....that and wait to see if he improves is all you can do. Mine have sometimes only been able to turn one direction so I try to squirt the food on that side with the pumps off when I feed.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have always moved them to my cycled QT and turned down the flow, dimmed the lights and tried to place the food with a pipette in a way to make it easier to eat....that and wait to see if he improves is all you can do. Mine have sometimes only been able to turn one direction so I try to squirt the food on that side with the pumps off when I feed.

Thanks! How long till I know for sure if he will improve or not?

sfg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Can anyone speak to the aggression with a flame Wrasse? I had a Laboutei here recently that turned into a complete nightmare and had to rehome him. Now that he is gone I am seeing slight aggression from my male flame.

Looking to add a rhomboid soon and was curious on experiences from others.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Flame is the largest fairy wrasse in the tank and is very mild mannered. Interestingly the only fish he ever chases is my Labout's. ;Joyful

I also have a lineatus (which is in the same complex as the rhomboid) and he shows him no interest in him. Just use an acclimation box and I bet you'll be ok.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Flame is the largest fairy wrasse in the tank and is very mild mannered. Interestingly the only fish he ever chases is my Labout's. ;Joyful

I also have a lineatus (which is in the same complex as the rhomboid) and he shows him no interest in him. Just use an acclimation box and I bet you'll be ok.

Added a lineatus last week to a bigger pintail. While my luck is good I want to sneak in a rhomboid. I like your taste.

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flame wrasse is one of the more docile of the fairies in the complex. He is probably enjoying the new hierarchy with the Laboutei gone. My Super Male flame is the largest of my fairies, next would be my Ornate Leopard, then female flame, Pintail, Rhomboid, Male Brunneus, Male Crescent tail fairy, Diamond Tail Flasher and Cleaner wrasse. Not once has the male flame made any attempt to show dominance and chase any of them.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you may have know, I had a female Black Leopard in my DT and a male and female Black Leopards in my DT system for the last month or so. All three are doing great. I just too busy to catch them from my QT to place them into DT. Well, it look like it is too late now for the male and I have to rehome him. This AM, I see that the female in DT have started to change to male. I see the start of the male face pattern, and the black edge of the tails. I was able to snapped a quick phone pic of the tail.
Male Black Leopards are beautiful. They are not easy to get use to captivity, but I must re-home my male in QT.
Male in QT
BlackLeopardWrasse201907091910Male.jpg

Changing male in DT
BlackLeopardWrasse2019072701Changing.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mabe not. There are not a lot of information of Black Leopard available with a quick search. However I was able to find an article by Lemon TeaYK with a few lines on Black Leopard. In this article, there are pictures of male and female black Leopard.
The picture of Lemon TeaYK attached below.
I am not sure about this. From observing my Male Black Leopard, he switch from the suppose female to male in the picture below. He looks like the first picture when he is not excited and more like the second when he is excited.
It is possible the Lemon TeaYK is wrong.
Over the next several days, I will try to document the my male looks like the first picture.

Female:
BlackLeopardFemalelemon22.jpg

Male
BlackLeopardMalelemon23.jpg

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mabe not. There are not a lot of information of Black Leopard available with a quick search. However I was able to find an article by Lemon TeaYK with a few lines on Black Leopard. In this article, there are pictures of male and female black Leopard.
The picture of Lemon TeaYK attached below.
I am not sure about this. From observing my Male Black Leopard, he switch from the suppose female to male in the picture below. He looks like the first picture when he is not excited and more like the second when he is excited.
It is possible the Lemon TeaYK is wrong.
Over the next several days, I will try to document the my male looks like the first picture.

Female:
BlackLeopardFemalelemon22.jpg

Male
BlackLeopardMalelemon23.jpg

Absolutely stunning - 100% on my wish list

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Lemon TeaYK may have images of male in both pictures, one in the excited state and the other as baseline state.
The pictures below are pictures of my male Black Leopard wrasse, same fish.

Not excited, baseline coloration
BlackLeopardWrasse2019072702MaleNonExcitedState.jpg

Excited, mirror induced. I find that mirror often induce male coloration of wrasses, near or the same as nuptial coloration.
BlackLeopardWrasse2019070907Male.jpg

BlackLeopardWrasse2019070910Male.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have opinion of Black Leopard wrasse keepers. Please tag anybody that you know who keep Black Leopard.
It is not often that we thinks well published fish experts are wrong.

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have these two in my display both have been with me over 4 years, as were my sixline and yellow coris up until recently they jumped out :rolleyes:. Owned lots of different wrasses (lineatus, Scott’s, Tamrians, tremors, pink margins, Lubbock's, blue star leopard, and etc).

I Love her :)
24F83141-51F6-428A-B17E-D0BD32EC471C.jpeg

My black footed trochus destroyer :rolleyes:
4F865939-29AF-4D4F-8217-C7A068DBE6C8.jpeg

One of my favorites have had several. He pasted away after 8 years I miss his big bulgy eyes and timid disposition dearly. RIP Mr. Possum
4DE68A5C-67E7-4EF4-9938-55E8CF6DF074.jpeg

Last edited:

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a new tank and plan to make it a softie/LPS tank with wrasses. Is there any rule to how many? I checked the compatibility chart and the 4 I ordered appear to be fine. Do i need to add any other type of possibly larger fish to break up any tension? Or will they work it out?
thx

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back