The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually a female on that one, I got mine last weekend, first one I had ever seen.
Yes. It's Anampses lineatus, if anyone is really lost. ;)
I don’t know but there in the same Rubrimarginatus complex so I would assume there may be at least abit if trouble... but I’ve got a few wrasse in the same complexes without WW3
I bet you'd be fine with a tank as large as yours. I've done it without issue in a 190g and again with different specimens in my current 270g.
I know this isn’t the place but with wrasse freaks it maybe my best chance
Got a Linatus laying in sand. He didn’t eat for a week and now eats but looks like he injured himself. It’s been 3 1/2 weeks. Any help or direction would be appreciated.
He is camera shy and I don’t want to make him stressed so video is poor

Looks like a spinal issue - sometimes improves, sometimes doesn't. If it's eating, that's a good sign.
Got the Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura in today, aabsolutely love him. Looking at more wrasses down the road and going by that compatibility chart, Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus looks like a great match, and while Cirrhilabrus exquisitus is in the most peaceful complex, it's very close to Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura. Will these three be fine together in a 125G?
Those should be okay together in a 125g.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you'd be fine with a tank as large as yours. I've done it without issue in a 190g and again with different specimens in my current 270g.
I’m fully stocked so won’t try it for now, l‘ll think about It for the future though, I managed to get hold of one of my all time favourites this morning a Choati wrasse, that was my last one to add...

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:eek: Best of luck!
Yeah I know!! There so hard to get feeding, this one has been in the wholesalers and shop for a month now so I’m optimistic, it fed earlier but only cyclopese, didn’t take any Mysis, but it has been pacing a lot which I don’t like to see

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know!! There so hard to get feeding, this one has been in the wholesalers and shop for a month now so I’m optimistic, it fed earlier but only cyclopese, didn’t take any Mysis, but it has been pacing a lot which I don’t like to see
They're worse then just that, I'm afraid. Cross those hurdles, and things as generally as insignificant as Alk swings have been known to kill them.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two Neoguinaicus today. The larger of the two eats poo a ton. She (start to be he?) is full all the time. Only a some what small stomach in the early AM, after that she is always full until bed time.
chinawrasse2019121802larger-jpg.1335361

My Smaller one eats well also but does not have a busting stomach like the larger one.
chinawrasse2019121801smaller-jpg.1335360

flamez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may be so self indulgent:
ok i have look at the chart and have found 3 wrasse i think will work are Cirrhilabrus adornatus ,Cirrhilabrus exquisitus and cirrhilabrus rubriventralis and they will be going into a 90 gallons reef tank

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two Neoguinaicus today. The larger of the two eats poo a ton. She (start to be he?) is full all the time. Only a some what small stomach in the early AM, after that she is always full until bed time.
chinawrasse2019121802larger-jpg.1335361

My Smaller one eats well also but does not have a busting stomach like the larger one.
chinawrasse2019121801smaller-jpg.1335360
Those look amazing. How hardy are they?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look amazing. How hardy are they?
They are reasonably hardy. I got two initially but one had mouth injury and the mouth healed badly where she cannot open it very large. She slowly starved over 6 months or so, and just disapeared one day. I got the third one, which is the smaller of the two right now. I don't have any problem with them, and they eat everything, from Nori, flakes, frozen and pellets. They are very fast and can compete with the fastest of the wrasses. Never bother other wrasses and not on the receive end of any of my wrasses. I never seen torn fin or missing scale on them.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are reasonably hardy. I got two initially but one had mouth injury and the mouth healed badly where she cannot open it very large. She slowly starved over 6 months or so, and just disapeared one day. I got the third one, which is the smaller of the two right now. I don't have any problem with them, and they eat everything, from Nori, flakes, frozen and pellets. They are very fast and can compete with the fastest of the wrasses. Never bother other wrasses and not on the receive end of any of my wrasses. I never seen torn fin or missing scale on them.
Nice. Sorry for the lost of the one though. How do you think they do with tangs and angels?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Sorry for the lost of the one though. How do you think they do with tangs and angels?
Tangs and Angels don't interact much with Wrasses IME (in my 320 gal DT) I have two Regal angels, 4 Flame angels, PBT, Purple Tang and Yellow tang in my 320, and a numbers of wrasses. Wrasses interact with Wrasses. Tang interacts with tangs and angles interact with angels, minimally with tangs.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard are great fish for reef tank but you got to have a sand bed for them to sleep in. They are not the easiest of wrasses to get to acclimate to captivity.
Female Black Leopard
blackleopardwrasse2019041801-jpg.1220827

Male Black Leopard Nuptial coloration
blackleopardwrasse201907091910male-jpg.1125981

meleagrisleopard2019053101-jpg.1088984

Last edited:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was shopping around for another wrasse to go with my 3 meleagris wrasses and my potters wrasse and was looking at either a Moyeri or a Kuiteri.
I need to change up the dynamics a little. The potters wrasse has gotten more aggressive with the other wrasses since my melenarus died. He used to keep everybody in check.
I'd like to find a red tail tamarin wrasse but they are hard to find.
Any thoughts?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back