The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow Tail Tamarin would only eat pods at first. Once I started feeding BBS and the Ocean Plankton, it started picking them out of the water column and very quickly thereafter started eating everything I put in the tank.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My Yellow Tail Tamarin would only eat pods at first. Once I started feeding BBS and the Ocean Plankton, it started picking them out of the water column and very quickly thereafter started eating everything I put in the tank.

Thats a good idea, I will set that up at lunch and hopefully will have some babies to feed by tomorrow. I forget how long it takes, havent used it in over 4 years haha

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats a good idea, I will set that up at lunch and hopefully will have some babies to feed by tomorrow. I forget how long it takes, havent used it in over 4 years haha
Sounds like a good plan. Good luck!

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's just one danger of common names:
"Bluehead fairy wrasse" probably means Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura in the US. A reasonable reef-safe option that does not need sand, as Cirrhilabrus do not bury.
"Bluehead wrasse" probably means Thalassoma bifasciatum in the US. A terror of a species not well suited for a reef tank, and does need sand, as Thalassoma do bury.

You're probably seeing conflicting information as you're not reading about the same species in all places.
Can I add a Male Christmas Wrasse (2-2.5") with 3.4" Male Melanurus?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male Christmas Wrasse
Yet another good example of why common names can be terrible. What species do you mean? That common name can apply to at least 5 different species...

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet another good example of why common names can be terrible. What species do you mean? That common name can apply to at least 5 different species...

Sorry, I was bing lazy! I am sure I have Halichoeres melanurus the one I want to add I think by seeing it in person is a Halichoeres ornatissumus but it's at LFS and I am going on sight alone. My Melanurus has had a broken jaw for over a month now. He eats ok by gliding into the food so I don't think he could be aggressive even if he wanted to.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry, I was bing lazy! I am sure I have Halichoeres melanurus the one I want to add I think by seeing it in person is a Halichoeres ornatissumus but it's at LFS and I am going on sight alone. My Melanurus has had a broken jaw for over a month now. He eats ok by gliding into the food so I don't think he could be aggressive even if he wanted to.
H. ornatissimus is usually rather aggressive - I'd definitely avoid it.
If you had a chance at H. claudia or especially H. biocellatus (the other two common "Christmas" Halichoeres), the chance of success would be higher.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is in a big acclimation box in my display tank so it is separated from all the other fish and has no aggression which makes me even more nervous
Vivienne wrasse need a sand bed it’s probably as stressed as hell being stuck in an acclimation box, which will only add to it not eating, id let it loose in your display as it will likely die anyway if you don’t do something...

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. ornatissimus is usually rather aggressive - I'd definitely avoid it.
If you had a chance at H. claudia or especially H. biocellatus (the other two common "Christmas" Halichoeres), the chance of success would be higher.
Just confirmed it's a Halichoeres claudia

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just confirmed it's a Halichoeres claudia
Sometimes it's easier to determine based on where it came from.
Hawaii = ornatissimus
Elsewhere (usually Fiji) = claudia

Last edited:

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Vivienne wrasse need a sand bed it’s probably as stressed as hell being stuck in an acclimation box, which will only add to it not eating, id let it loose in your display as it will likely die anyway if you don’t do something...

It has been released since Saturday, I did have sand in the acclimation box for him. He is swimming around great and picking at rocks, etc but still wont eat any food that I feed to the tank.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been released since Saturday, I did have sand in the acclimation box for him. He is swimming around great and picking at rocks, etc but still wont eat any food that I feed to the tank.
Is it not going after the Baby Brine? Did you try the Ocean Plankton? If you can find them, live or frozen black worms might work.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is it not going after the Baby Brine? Did you try the Ocean Plankton? If you can find them, live or frozen black worms might work.

Didnt go after it at all, I know it is eating the pods off the rock and sand now but that isnt enough. Still looks really healthy and not skinny at all so I am not that worried yet however I want it to start eating frozen/flakes as soon as possible. I thought maybe it would since everything else goes crazy when I feed the tank but it just swims past everything.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I missed you saying he’d been released, have you tried cyclopese?

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a blue flasher wrasse earlier today. No space for a QT tank unfortunately, so I added him to the display tank after about 45 minutes drip acclimating.

First problem: his mouth got stuck in the net while getting him out of the bag. Managed to get him loose and he seemed alright. Took about 20 minutes, so I can imagine it has been pretty stressful for the little dude. Unexpectedly had to go immediately after releasing him, so I couldn't keep an eye on him.

Now a second concern right away. I just got home and found him laying on his side on the sandbed. He moved when I checked to see if he was alive, went back to laying down a minute after. Didn't eat either, but I'm not too worried about that yet.

Any thoughts? No one's bothering him, but I am worried my CUC will go at him tonight.

20200107_201040.jpg

Attachments

• 20200107_201835.mp4
    32.3 MB

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked up a blue flasher wrasse earlier today. No space for a QT tank unfortunately, so I added him to the display tank after about 45 minutes drip acclimating.

First problem: his mouth got stuck in the net while getting him out of the bag. Managed to get him loose and he seemed alright. Took about 20 minutes, so I can imagine it has been pretty stressful for the little dude. Unexpectedly had to go immediately after releasing him, so I couldn't keep an eye on him.

Now a second concern right away. I just got home and found him laying on his side on the sandbed. He moved when I checked to see if he was alive, went back to laying down a minute after. Didn't eat either, but I'm not too worried about that yet.

Any thoughts? No one's bothering him, but I am worried my CUC will go at him tonight.

20200107_201040.jpg
Appears to be very stressed for the most part. Just keep an eye on him for now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back