The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to get a better shot of him
wrasse 1 (1 of 1).jpg
Halichoeres hortulanus sure is a beautiful wrasse!

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Poor quality video, but I caught the new addition flashing tonight and figured I'd share. Pretty awesome display! So far everyone is tolerant of one another. He received the most harrassment from the purple tang, and a ittle bit of harassing with the blues on from the pintail, nothing too crazy. Fingers crossed it continues this way.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a checkerboard wrasse... Sorry just realised that's the same thing
Common names are not all that common... they vary by country/region/language. And can even be used for different species...
Beware of common names. ;)

TNreeferBX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, seeking some wrasse wisdom,

wondering if two males flashers of different species will push each other to display optimal colors, (one being a supermale already). if this is the case i will more than likely be parting ways with my singular female wrasse. only from experience please im sure many have had similar situations before

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

wondering if two males flashers of different species will push each other to display optimal colors, (one being a supermale already). if this is the case i will more than likely be parting ways with my singular female wrasse. only from experience please im sure many have had similar situations before
from what I know about most wrasses is, 2 males in the same tank is a disaster in the making. One will harass or kill the other.
I think if you want the male to flash alot, he does that to attract females. So maybe adding females is the trick.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 males of different species generally works, but 3 or 4 different species is better.
from what I know about most wrasses is, 2 males in the same tank is a disaster in the making. One will harass or kill the other.
I think if you want the male to flash alot, he does that to attract females. So maybe adding females is the trick.
Different species is the key. Females will just transition anyway, and that's if the "females" a vendor sells are actually female (doesn't often happen with Paracheilinus).

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
2 males of different species generally works, but 3 or 4 different species is better.

Different species is the key. Females will just transition anyway, and that's if the "females" a vendor sells are actually female (doesn't often happen with Paracheilinus).
I missed that and will take this to heart.
Leave the advice when it comes to wrasses to the experts.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been thinking about getting two leopards for a 90 display. Not positive but leaning towards Choati and Geoffrey I can get them healthy and eating.
My concerns are they will out compete mandarin for pods. Fuge and display are littered with amphipods too.
Could two leopards that eat frozen out compete the pods with a mandarin?

I Do have a 5” pintail and 5” Lineatus that must approve of new additions.
Would getting male or female be better adding to the others?
Also size of leopards seem smaller would that be Instigating the other wrasse?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Flasher and Fairy wrasses just ignores my Leopards.
Leopards will compete for pods against Mandarins. IMO, any mandarin will have a hard time in a 90 gal tank with 2 or more Leopards. Leopards will be fine since they will eat all kind of food, but not the Mandarins.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single Geoffroyi in a 72x24 tank and the only copepods I see are very scared ones....at night. They are pretty efficient pod predators and I agree with @OrionN , your mandarin will suffer with even one leopard in the tank.

Also Choati is very difficult to keep. Long term success with them is not too common.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree - leopards will out-compete a mandarin, Cirrhilabrus and Macropharyngodon won't pay much attention to another, and M. choati is exceptionally tricky to keep.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Flasher and Fairy wrasses just ignores my Leopards.
Leopards will compete for pods against Mandarins. IMO, any mandarin will have a hard time in a 90 gal tank with 2 or more Leopards. Leopards will be fine since they will eat all kind of food, but not the Mandarins.
I have a single Geoffroyi in a 72x24 tank and the only copepods I see are very scared ones....at night. They are pretty efficient pod predators and I agree with @OrionN , your mandarin will suffer with even one leopard in the tank.

Also Choati is very difficult to keep. Long term success with them is not too common.
Agree - leopards will out-compete a mandarin, Cirrhilabrus and Macropharyngodon won't pay much attention to another, and M. choati is exceptionally tricky to keep.

Thank you.Time to start saving for much larger tank.

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I’m looking at the Cirrhilabrus compatibility chart and it seems like C. jordani and C.lineatus are far apart enough that they should be compatible, right? I currently have an initial phase male CL but I would like to add a terminal phase male CJ. Will that work out? Also, should I get a male/female pair of CJ or just a single male CJ?

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week ago yesterday I picked up two wrasses from my LFS. I got an exquisite fairy, and yellow fin flasher. After acclimation and in my observation QT they were both out swimming and ate right away. They were both a little timid but eating well. For a couple days. No immediate signs of disease, no rapid breathing etc. I have not seen the exquisite for almost a week. The flasher is out and about every day, eating like a pig. The tank is covered, no signs of an escape anywhere, and the flasher appears to be disease free. My observation tank is a fully cycled 29gal with rock sand and some macro algae. Should I keep watching or go searching for a body.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back