The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Should I move him to the sump for now so he won't be bothered by anyone? Or better to just let him be?
I don't know what else is in the tank but would just leave him be. Moving him will stress him out more. Patience.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like he's totally fine again. When I left this morning he was still laying on the sandbed (not on his side anymore though), but he's swimming around now an eating :)

His tailfin is a bit damaged, so I'll keep an eye on that.

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrible photo, but I'm pretty excited for this guy; fingers crossed he doesnt get harrassed too badly upon introduction.
20200110_154402.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, thanks. Never had this happen before, so I got freaked out a bit.

You can buy a plastic colonder and never worry about fish stuck in a net again. Nets are horrible imo... Fish bite them and get stuck or spines get stuck and they can be abrasive to the slime coat.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrible photo, but I'm pretty excited for this guy; fingers crossed he doesnt get harrassed too badly upon introduction.
20200110_154402.jpg

For that guy I would be willing to trap all of my fairy and flasher wrasses and put them in time out just to ensure he did well! :D Seriously congratulations that is a beautiful wrasse!

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm with you. Hopefully that's not the case as the established fairies all tolerate one another well.

I think I got a good one. Slamming food first feeding.

Screenshot_20200110-183801_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20200110-183802_Video Player.jpg

Anyone know of a video host that doesn't ruin quality? YouTube didn't work at all for some reason

Last edited:

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! I'm with you. Hopefully that's not the case as the established fairies all tolerate one another well.

Screenshot_20200110-183801_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20200110-183802_Video Player.jpg
Anyone know of a video host that doesn't ruin quality? YouTube didn't work at all for some reason
Hemi??

TNreeferBX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey wrasse people,
ive recently gotten very big into collecting high end flashers to go along with my tang obsession. as of right now i have a pair of flames which ill post a picture of and i will be getting a male half banded on friday which im super excited about. wanted to know if anyone had any tips for me on the half banded being that theyre pretty rare theres not too much info on them. so far the flames have been model citizens, some of my favorites for sure.
IMG_0036.png

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmmmm, Youtube has always worked flawlessly for me. Anxious to see some video of this bad boy. Wish I had a LFS that got those kind of fish in!

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two Potter's wrasses living together in harmony for many months until now. I observed one chasing the other pretty intensely earlier. Both still appear female to me, but maybe someone's on the path to transitioning?

I am wondering if a mirror would really help in this case or if one should ultimately be removed? It will be quite difficult to catch one though I fear.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20200109_173802.jpg

Picked up this little guy this week. Seems to be settling pretty quickly
That little guy will one day be pretty big, fwiw.
hey wrasse people,
ive recently gotten very big into collecting high end flashers to go along with my tang obsession. as of right now i have a pair of flames which ill post a picture of and i will be getting a male half banded on friday which im super excited about. wanted to know if anyone had any tips for me on the half banded being that theyre pretty rare theres not too much info on them. so far the flames have been model citizens, some of my favorites for sure.
IMG_0036.png
I'll caution that your female flame is highly, highly likely to eventually transition, and then you may have a fight for survival between two males.
As for the Paracheilinus, their care is pretty universal across the genus - nothing all that unique about any particular species.
I've had two Potter's wrasses living together in harmony for many months until now. I observed one chasing the other pretty intensely earlier. Both still appear female to me, but maybe someone's on the path to transitioning?

I am wondering if a mirror would really help in this case or if one should ultimately be removed? It will be quite difficult to catch one though I fear.
They're either both trying to transition, or the dominant one is transitioning and no longer tolerating the female. Either way, if you don't remove one, the dominant fish will eliminate the submissive fish.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're either both trying to transition, or the dominant one is transitioning and no longer tolerating the female. Either way, if you don't remove one, the dominant fish will eliminate the submissive fish.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see what I can do to remove one or the other.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back