The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all flashers can be kept with other flashers. The one exception (sometimes) is the Eight Line Flasher ....not to be confused with the Pseudocheilinus species that carries the moniker Eight Line. This flasher gets larger than other flashers and can be a little aggressive. In a larger tank they are fine. If you are pushing the envelope with tank size, I would avoid them with other flashers.

I have one in a 6' tank with 3 other flashers without issues.

When you say Coris wrasses can you be more specific? Some wrasses are called Coris wrasses that actually aren't (Halichoeres chrysus for example). Most true coris wrasses get pretty large and are not reef safe....invert eating machines.
Post your planed stocking list or fish you are considering and I'm sure one of our wrasse experts will chime in.
Was looking at canary wrasse with a blue throat fairy wrasse

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking at canary wrasse with a blue throat fairy wrasse

The canary wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) is among the most laid back of the Halichoeres wrasses...very under appreciated fish IMO. He would be fine.

The Blue Throat fairy could be a problem. They are pretty aggressive and might be a problem with other fairy and flasher wrasses. How big is your tank?

Can I put 2 six lines together or a six line and a carpenters or possum?

I would not recommend a six line with any other wrasse in the tank....2 six lines? Sounds like WW3 will now commence. :p . If this is a 14 gallon the only wrasse I would consider would be the possum or possibly a pink streaked wrasse. Might be a bit small even for those.

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!!!!

I have two wrasses currently and I am thinking about a third.
I currently have a blue sided fairy wrasse (m) and a blue star leopard (f)

I do not want a melenarus because I have lots of hermits and I hear as they get older they like to eat CUC
And I also hear 6lines can be turds

any other suggestions for a wrasse that is around $100 or less retail???

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The canary wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) is among the most laid back of the Halichoeres wrasses...very under appreciated fish IMO. He would be fine.

The Blue Throat fairy could be a problem. They are pretty aggressive and might be a problem with other fairy and flasher wrasses. How big is your tank?

I would not recommend a six line with any other wrasse in the tank....2 six lines? Sounds like WW3 will now commence. :p . If this is a 14 gallon the only wrasse I would consider would be the possum or possibly a pink streaked wrasse. Might be a bit small even for those.
45 gallon

blue is in there alreadybad is great with current stock

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45 gallon

blue is in there alreadybad is great with current stock

Maybe you got lucky and yours won't be a problem. Keep an eye on him though.

If it's a 3 foot tank I would go with flasher wrasses. Yellow Fin, Royal, Linespot, Diamond Tail are some of my favorites.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want a Mccoskers wrasse....

With that said I should be fine with my current wrasse gang?

Melagris leopard
Blue star leopard
Melanarus
yellow coris
And some unknown red fairy wrasse(I'll try and get a pic to get a proper ID on that one, but my wife came home with it one day, because "it was pretty").

20201031_171602.jpg

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This would be for a 40

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want a Mccoskers wrasse....

With that said I should be fine with my current wrasse gang?

Melagris leopard
Blue star leopard
Melanarus
yellow coris
And some unknown red fairy wrasse(I'll try and get a pic to get a proper ID on that one, but my wife came home with it one day, because "it was pretty").

20201031_171602.jpg

looks like a katherines perhaps? i'd get an ID on that from evolved or saltyhog and go from there

my sand burying wrasses don't seem to notice fairies exist so i think you'd be good on the others

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you got lucky and yours won't be a problem. Keep an eye on him though.

If it's a 3 foot tank I would go with flasher wrasses. Yellow Fin, Royal, Linespot, Diamond Tail are some of my favorites.
Yeah it’s 3 feet by 2 foot high

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame and Rhomboid in 20 gallon before going in display tank with the others. Rhomboid is about 1 1/4” and flame isn’t much bigger. They need to grow before transferring to display
Wrasse stock list
Potters
Vivien
Meleagris
hemitaeniatus
Filamented
Pintail
Flame
Rhomboid
Iridis

F43D0508-18A3-4844-908E-3029CF9423A5.jpeg
0E03140F-C39E-4A39-8FFC-B3DAC116021B.jpeg

Last edited:

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking forward to getting my tank up and running, ive been reading up on the reef safe wrasse guide =)

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to use copper on my Rhomboid but think I would like to treat for flukes. I fresh water dipped and didn’t see any flukes but would like to treat if it is low risk for Rhomboid.

What would be a good protocol that is easy on a Rhomboid? I always got my fish Qt’ed so this is my first

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to use copper on my Rhomboid but think I would like to treat for flukes. I fresh water dipped and didn’t see any flukes but would like to treat if it is low risk for Rhomboid.

What would be a good protocol that is easy on a Rhomboid? I always got my fish Qt’ed so this is my first

copper doesn’t do anything against flukes, use Prazipro or general cure

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m aware copper won’t do anything for flukes. Guess I’m wondering what is better GC or prazi
Thank you for the reply

i like GC personally, but it is a lower dosage of praziquantel. good for wrasses, but if you run into those prazi resistant flukes i guess it'd be non ideal

Back