The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, how are u?

Maybe this topic has been covered in some page of this amazing thread, so iam sorry if this is the case. Well, I would like to ask u some questions about Halichoeres.

Can I make a group of yellow coris? I love their color and behaviour and i know they are not so agressive. So, I was thinking if would be a problem keeping more than one in my new 130gal.

I also would like to know which other Halichoeres could work with them. Maybe one in more peacefull side of the genus. What about melanurus? Any other candidate?

I would like to try a leopard and maybe an Anampses later so I don't want any "too much agressive" wrasse. I would love to have a mystery wrasse but i know that this could go very bad for the other wrasses in the tank.

Thank u guys
Best regards

D.
H. Chrysus has a peaceful temperament but I would not add more than one to your tank, it likely won't go well.
H. Biocellatus is also one of the most peaceful halichoeres. H. Melanurus, H. Melasmapomus, H. Cosmetus, H. Claudia and H. Chrysotaenia are all usually mild tempered. I'm sure the wrasse experts will be able to suggest a few more in the genus that can mix well with H. Chrysus.

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, new problem. Introduced a gorgeous Halichoeres iridis to the tank on Monday. He didn't dive in the sand bed right away to my surprise, but rather swam around like he had been in the tank for years. He ate right away as well. Same thing yesterday.

Since this morning however, he has pop eye on his left side only. The first ~ 2 hours after lights on he stayed in the same spot and slowly circled around a bit, almost as if he was disorientated. That eventually stopped and he ate fine all day, although still a bit inactive.

Half an hour ago he suddenly laid flat on his side on the sand bed and didn't move for 10 minutes until he got spooked by a hermit. Right now he's lying there again with the swollen eye down. Usually around this time he burrows into the sand.

What could it be? Anything I can do?

20201111_154347.jpg

Sounds like you need to treat him for popeye. I find this is the best medicine for lots of external issues. Have a butterfly that looked to have a bacterial infection. Treated it with Furan for 2 weeks and never got better. Just a few days of this and it’s gone away already.
Fritz Aquatics - Fritz Maracyn Two - 24 Pack

Stuginski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. Chrysus has a peaceful temperament but I would not add more than one to your tank, it likely won't go well.
H. Biocellatus is also one of the most peaceful halichoeres. H. Melanurus, H. Melasmapomus, H. Cosmetus, H. Claudia and H. Chrysotaenia are all usually mild tempered. I'm sure the wrasse experts will be able to suggest a few more in the genus that can mix well with H. Chrysus.

Thank you SaltyT. I guess i will follow your advice and put Just one yellow coris. I really like melasmapomus but maybe biocelatus would be a better choice.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I fell in love with a male flame at the local fish store but the 400 price tag scared me away. live aquaria has females for 170. Think of buying 2 and hoping one will change. what do you think the odds of one of them turning male?
thanks
Jeff

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you SaltyT. I guess i will follow your advice and put Just one yellow coris. I really like melasmapomus but maybe biocelatus would be a better choice.
You could go with either Melasmapomus or Biocellatus or both. I have both. I also have H. Iridis which is related to Chrysus and all three get along just fine.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fell in love with a male flame at the local fish store but the 400 price tag scared me away. live aquaria has females for 170. Think of buying 2 and hoping one will change. what do you think the odds of one of them turning male?
thanks
Jeff
Both will eventually turn male so it would be best to just get one.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree completely with Salty T

I also have malasmapomus with an iridis and also have kept one with chrysus in the past. My malasmapomus is almost 6" and is a gentle giant. Obviously none of the other wrasses I have are going to mess with him but he bothers no one....including inverts.

This was not to long after I got him. (about 4 years ago).
Ear Muff 2 (1 of 1).jpg

And about 6 months ago. That's a good size yellow tang for comparison.
Earmuff 20-4-3 (1 of 1).jpg

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you need to treat him for popeye. I find this is the best medicine for lots of external issues. Have a butterfly that looked to have a bacterial infection. Treated it with Furan for 2 weeks and never got better. Just a few days of this and it’s gone away already.
Fritz Aquatics - Fritz Maracyn Two - 24 Pack

Thanks.

Unfortunately he didn't make the night. Wouldn't burrow, even with lights off, and of the hermits grabbed him. Wasn't much left of him this morning.

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my 180g reef tank I have the following wrasses
1) Red Ruby head fairy
2) pink margin fairy
3) carpenter flasher
4) yellow fin flasher
(All males)

I plan to put a Dusky wrasse in there. Sex not specified ...approx 2-3”

Will he get along with my current wrasses? Will he pick on my Royal Gramma?

Then I have a 60G FOWLR and have 2 male wrasses, a McCoskers and a Red Velvet Fairy. Plan to put an Exquisitus Fairy wrasse in with them. Is that gonna work out?

Plan to use acclimation boxes for both. One or two weeks?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my 180g reef tank I have the following wrasses
1) Red Ruby head fairy
2) pink margin fairy
3) carpenter flasher
4) yellow fin flasher
(All males)

I plan to put a Dusky wrasse in there. Sex not specified ...approx 2-3”

Will he get along with my current wrasses? Will he pick on my Royal Gramma?

Then I have a 60G FOWLR and have 2 male wrasses, a McCoskers and a Red Velvet Fairy. Plan to put an Exquisitus Fairy wrasse in with them. Is that gonna work out?

Plan to use acclimation boxes for both. One or two weeks?

i've never kept the dusky, but afaik they're decently well behaved as far as aggression goes, but they're larger and more likely to mow down some CUC

it seems sites online list red velvets as small (fishbase 7.2 cm and liveaquaria 4"), but i saw a huge one in a video recently and they're supposedly pretty aggressive too. evolved recommends 90g for them so i wouldn't do that

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've never kept the dusky, but afaik they're decently well behaved as far as aggression goes, but they're larger and more likely to mow down some CUC

it seems sites online list red velvets as small (fishbase 7.2 cm and liveaquaria 4"), but i saw a huge one in a video recently and they're supposedly pretty aggressive too. evolved recommends 90g for them so i wouldn't do that

Not too worried about CUC...we have like 600 snails and they are making new ones constantly, could do with a few less of them. Our cleaner shrimp are monsters, like 4” so I think they’ll be okay but I’ll keep an eye on the Dusky. The Red Ruby and Pink Margin fairies I have in there are about 4” and pretty bossy to the point even my Hippo tang is stressed by their drama with each other. So they may be able to keep him in line.

If the Red Velvet in the 60 gets too big I can always move to the 180g He’s actually pretty low key. He charges the McC sometimes but mostly leaves him alone. He was supposed to be a female from LA but came obviously as a male What about the Exquisite Fairy Wrasse getting along with the Red Velvet? The Exquisite Fairy Wrasse is the new one coming.

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shrug, if yours is subdued then it could work i guess. or it could not since rubrisquamis are not generally subdued

complex wise it should work :cool:

Well it’s been a few months so guess I’m Golden

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening. I am working on the setup of my 5’ 140ish gallon tank and I am also a wrasse lover. I have had some in the past but never many in one tank. Below is the list of what I would like to keep in my mainly LPS tank. Would anyone here see any issues? Best way to add them? I believe the only problem will be the mystery? Thoughts?

Purple lined wrasse (cirrhilabrus lineatus

Radiant wrasse halichoeres iridis

Naoko fairy wrasse cirrhilabrus naokoae

Male blue star leopard wrasse Macropharyngodon bipartitus

Yellowfin flasher wrasse Paracheilinus flavianalis

Diamond tail flasher wrasse paracheilinus attenuatus

Exquisite fairy wrasse Cirrhilabrus exquisites

Mystery wrasse Pseudocheilinus ocellatus

Scott’s fairy wrasse cirrhilabrus scottorum

thank you?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mystery wrasse and Scott's fairy wrasse do not get along with other wrasses. The Naokoae can be aggressive too.

I would start with your flasher wrasses first, if you can add them both at the same time great, otherwise I would recommend adding P. flavianalis before P. attenuatus. I would also recommend using a social acclimation box when adding wrasses to existing wrasses.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lunatus and Pintail are in the same complex but both are very laid back. Should be ok in a 180. Other wrasses already in the tank? Which ones?

If there are other wrasses already in the tank, recommend using an acclimation box.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.2%
Back