The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer GC. It's easier to use for me.....1 packet per 10 gallons of QT volume. It also is not dissolved in alcohol as Prazipro is. The problem with that is the potential bacterial blooms that can lead to low O2 levels which can kill fish very quickly.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like GC personally, but it is a lower dosage of praziquantel. good for wrasses, but if you run into those prazi resistant flukes i guess it'd be non ideal
I prefer GC. It's easier to use for me.....1 packet per 10 gallons of QT volume. It also is not dissolved in alcohol as Prazipro is. The problem with that is the potential bacterial blooms that can lead to low O2 levels which can kill fish very quickly.
Thanks GC it is. No sigh of flukes but don’t want to risk it.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my wrasse...the radiant is very new and needs to fatten up.

PXL_20201101_232122121.MP.jpg

PXL_20201101_232334021.MP.jpg

PXL_20201101_232047870.MP.jpg

PXL_20201101_231437205.MP.jpg

PXL_20201101_231203441.MP.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was accidentally shipped in hyposalinity so he looked like crap. Still not sure if he will make it.

They generally are poor shippers though. The Copperband he was shipped with faired much better.

I just have never seen them at my LFS.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also worth noting is it has been a very difficult to consistently feed. My pencil Wrasse...china wrassee. .leopards ...butterflies ..potters... All switch to frozen with not too much proding but this one has been a lot more stubborn.

It eats but not like a greedy wrasse that it should.

However it comes out of the sand as it should and begs for food. So we will see. I do believe it was damaged internally in shipping as It was spinning around when it arrived. It is much better but still a bit 'off'. Almost like it chokes on food sometimes but it is a pretty small specimin.

The rest of the group is perfect though and almost all of them started out rough shape so fingers crossed.

Last edited:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also was not lucky enough to find a radiant wrasse locally. I tried off and on for years to have one shipped, but none of them made it past two days. I pre-ordered one from TSM Aquatics back in August. I've had it a few weeks now. They shipped it in a huge bag and the box was packed very well. Super stoked to finally have a radiant wrasse after all these years.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also was not lucky enough to find a radiant wrasse locally. I tried off and on for years to have one shipped, but none of them made it past two days. I pre-ordered one from TSM Aquatics back in August. I've had it a few weeks now. They shipped it in a huge bag and the box was packed very well. Super stoked to finally have a radiant wrasse after all these years.
If fish get through his qt they can survive almost anything. They won’t sell anything less then perfect. I’m lucky to have them as a lfs.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If fish get through his qt they can survive almost anything. They won’t sell anything less then perfect. I’m lucky to have them as a lfs.
I'm jealous! I can't wait for them to get in more Potter's leopard wrasses.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm jealous! I can't wait for them to get in more Potter's leopard wrasses.
I am lucky I have a few great places. Down side is owner knows what I like and get a tip of what will be coming in. My potters ate everything and even ate nori within 30 minutes.
The Care the animals get is second to none and it’s amazing place to see what goes on behind close doors. If I only can get the secrets how they get fragile fish through QT

Stuginski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, how are u?

Maybe this topic has been covered in some page of this amazing thread, so iam sorry if this is the case. Well, I would like to ask u some questions about Halichoeres.

Can I make a group of yellow coris? I love their color and behaviour and i know they are not so agressive. So, I was thinking if would be a problem keeping more than one in my new 130gal.

I also would like to know which other Halichoeres could work with them. Maybe one in more peacefull side of the genus. What about melanurus? Any other candidate?

I would like to try a leopard and maybe an Anampses later so I don't want any "too much agressive" wrasse. I would love to have a mystery wrasse but i know that this could go very bad for the other wrasses in the tank.

Thank u guys
Best regards

D.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, new problem. Introduced a gorgeous Halichoeres iridis to the tank on Monday. He didn't dive in the sand bed right away to my surprise, but rather swam around like he had been in the tank for years. He ate right away as well. Same thing yesterday.

Since this morning however, he has pop eye on his left side only. The first ~ 2 hours after lights on he stayed in the same spot and slowly circled around a bit, almost as if he was disorientated. That eventually stopped and he ate fine all day, although still a bit inactive.

Half an hour ago he suddenly laid flat on his side on the sand bed and didn't move for 10 minutes until he got spooked by a hermit. Right now he's lying there again with the swollen eye down. Usually around this time he burrows into the sand.

What could it be? Anything I can do?

20201111_154347.jpg

cimulation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all flashers can be kept with other flashers. The one exception (sometimes) is the Eight Line Flasher ....not to be confused with the Pseudocheilinus species that carries the moniker Eight Line. This flasher gets larger than other flashers and can be a little aggressive. In a larger tank they are fine. If you are pushing the envelope with tank size, I would avoid them with other flashers.

I have one in a 6' tank with 3 other flashers without issues.

When you say Coris wrasses can you be more specific? Some wrasses are called Coris wrasses that actually aren't (Halichoeres chrysus for example). Most true coris wrasses get pretty large and are not reef safe....invert eating machines.
Post your planed stocking list or fish you are considering and I'm sure one of our wrasse experts will chime in.
I want to get a Yellow Coris Wrasse. Here is my planned list. Is there a specific order I should add them into the tank. I have a 180g DT. Also, how many do you think I can actually keep?

Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri)
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus)
Hooded Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus)
Naoko's Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus naokoae)
Yellow Coris Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a Yellow Coris Wrasse. Here is my planned list. Is there a specific order I should add them into the tank. I have a 180g DT. Also, how many do you think I can actually keep?

Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri)
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus)
Hooded Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus)
Naoko's Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus naokoae)
Yellow Coris Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)

I don't see any problems with that list. C. naokoae is the most aggressive of the lot but shouldn't be a problem in a big tank like yours.

If I were doing it, I would add the flashers and the H. chrysus first, and then the three Cirrhilabrus together. I always use an acclimation box when adding wrasses to a tank with established wrasses.

As far as how many wrasses........a lot more than that. I have 13 in a tank with the same foot print (not through yet ;Happy ) without any problems.

Back