The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to do more research on the fish you are going to buy. That Dragon wrasse going to be a foot huge (12 inches), while not ugly but certainly not as exotic as the juvenile, and will wreck your tank and eat everything. (internet picture)
GettyImages-590527674-5aff39c1119fa800371ae63a.jpg
wife read this article. https://be.chewy.com/the-dragon-wrasse-the-good-the-bad-and-the-beautiful/#:~:text=The young dragon wrasse can,appreciate some room to move and she thought "hey, we have a 75 Gal, and in about a year, we are going to 190 Gal" so she got it without understanding it might go after the Nems and Clams. I should definitely not let her go to the pet store alone. She knows our 75 Gal is way over stocked now, so that should curb her purchasing. now the tank is almost a daily sand storm. lets see how long she will deal with it. Also, we do have a pretty aggressive stock, the coral beauty tends to keep it on its tails too.

Last edited:

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to do more research on the fish you are going to buy. That Dragon wrasse going to be a foot huge (12 inches), while not ugly but certainly not as exotic as the juvenile, and will wreck your tank and eat everything. (internet picture)
GettyImages-590527674-5aff39c1119fa800371ae63a.jpg
I’ve talked the wife into getting rid of it. Now how to trap it and find someone local who wants it. Lol

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve talked the wife into getting rid of it. Now how to trap it and find someone local who wants it. Lol
Glass vase method... here’s somethings I’ve wrote on the topic

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 125g NSA with not a whole lot of rockwork for hiding (though I am considering adding a few more caves and arches).

Current livestock:
2 Clowns
1 Fire fish
1 Blue & Red Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis)
1 Yellow Tang
1 Pyramid butterfly

I've got an order coming in with:
1 Bicolor blenny
3 Lyretail anthias
1 Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus isoceles)

I've got the option to add either a Lineatus (Cirrhilabrus lineatus) or a Labout's Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus laboutei) to my incoming order. Are there any potential issues with compatibility for these? I'm leaning towards the Lineatus.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 125g NSA with not a whole lot of rockwork for hiding (though I am considering adding a few more caves and arches).

Current livestock:
2 Clowns
1 Fire fish
1 Yellow Tang
1 Pyramid butterfly

1 Bicolor blenny
3 Lyretail anthias

I've got the option to add either a Lineatus (Cirrhilabrus lineatus) or a Labout's Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus laboutei) to my incoming order. Are there any potential issues with compatibility for these? I'm leaning towards the Lineatus.

Shouldn't be as they're all in different complexes. Recommend using an acclimation box though with any new wrasse addition to an existing wrasse.

My new C. bathyphilus (and P. lineopuntatus) I just got today.

Jorda320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know questions like this aren't the point of the thread but does anybody have any recommendations for some inexpensive but still attractive looking peaceful wrasses that would do well in a peaceful 75-gallon tank? I'm 2 months into a 4-month cycle of a new 75 gallon mixed reef and before I turn the lights on I'm quarantining fish in spare tanks in my basement. I've got a two maybe two and a half inch sand bed and looking for any recommendations for inexpensive but attractive wrasses that top out that maybe 4 inches.

Lazysavage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow fin flasher is my favorite pick so far. Not only is it one of the best looking wrasse out there (imho) but it can sometimes encourage other fish to come out and be active. Great wrasse for your setup.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know questions like this aren't the point of the thread but does anybody have any recommendations for some inexpensive but still attractive looking peaceful wrasses that would do well in a peaceful 75-gallon tank? I'm 2 months into a 4-month cycle of a new 75 gallon mixed reef and before I turn the lights on I'm quarantining fish in spare tanks in my basement. I've got a two maybe two and a half inch sand bed and looking for any recommendations for inexpensive but attractive wrasses that top out that maybe 4 inches.
So many options. It would be easier if you pick some wrasses that appeal to you and post them then others can chime in to let you know if they'll be compatible in your tank or not.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the one with the yellow head the radiant wrasse
Yes. The one below is a female flame wrasse. Unfortunately it went missing several days ago in the DT. Still can't find it. Now with the ban they are listing at $599.

Current livestock:
2 Clowns
1 Fire fish
1 Yellow Tang
1 Pyramid butterfly

1 Bicolor blenny
3 Lyretail anthias

The pintail can be a *****. Or at least mine was, chasing the flame. I would isolate that wrasse and add them all together.
Do you have a container of sand in this tank for the radiant?
Not at that time. Unfortunately that radiant wrasse jumped through a small hole overnight and perished.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back