The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 29gal a pink-streaked wrasse would work great. They’re small, peaceful and do pest control. And they’ll get along fine with your stock plan :)
Was looking at those, thank you for your input! Might have to get me one soon. Super glad to hear they’ll work with my stock plan too because I love all of those fish I wanna get :)

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking at those, thank you for your input! Might have to get me one soon. Super glad to hear they’ll work with my stock plan too because I love all of those fish I wanna get :)
They’re under appreciated so if you get one, please post a pic or two in this thread.

tgcreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@SaltyT i have a friend with a whole sale account that ordered it in for me straight from one of the vendors in LA. I kept him in an acclimation box for 2 or 3 days with no sand so that it forced him to get on my light schedule and off his Aussie time. Worked great. I try my best to keep my alk at 8.4 but it does swing as it’s only a 30 gal tank, minor things can really change the level. Never noticed anything different about him when it does swing

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring out the big guns! What temp is your tank at. These don't usually last too long at higher temps like 77 or 78 right?
Thanks for sharing! Lennardi is my dream wrasse. Any tips you can share how you’ve been so successful keeping her?

I keep it at 74-76 (the rest of my fish tolerate that pretty well). That and a 4 inch sandy bottom I think helps. The key I think is keeping them in their own tank for at least a month when you first get them to get them used to their new surroundings (eg, you) and eating well. I also prophylactically treat for any disease. Oh, and a lid. Definitely need a lid for these guys.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lineatus came home to the DT today.
20210207_181901.jpg

Flame doing well after spending 5 days in the overflow.
20210207_182152.jpg

Not a wrasse but was bunkmate of lineatus in QT.
20210207_182056.jpg 20210207_181707.jpg

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I started a topic earlier checking my stocking idea. I feel as though a good chunk if it is just a question on which and how many Wrasse I end up going with.

Here is my original thread:

So, to get a more specific answer, I figured it would be best to post here about the Wrasse situation.

65g display
1.5" sandbed
Good amount of caves and such in rocks.
2 Clowns
2 Firefish
1 YWG+ Shrimp

I have done some wrasse research, but I am still terrible at the whole fish thing. There are JUST SO MANY and hard to know what does and doesn't work.

Here is what I have come up with with my limited knowledge (appear to be very safe).

Fairy Wrasse (using Evolved's chart):

Exquisite Fairy (Exquisitius Complex)
Pintail (too big?) (Lunatus Complex)

These are both on the less aggressive side and appear to be far enough apart that there should not be any issues. The Exquisite can bring the blue color I lack in my tank.

Flasher Wrasse (Using LA descriptions and pics):

McCosker's Flasher
Diamond-Tail Flasher
(and/or Carpenter's Flasher)

The Flasher Wrasse seem so similar to each other.

I am fine with modifying numbers here and there. For example, I saw a post that suggested 3x Flashers to get the most out of their color.

Flasher and Fairy don't decimate pods, correct? They are also not really good for pest control either?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, to get a more specific answer, I figured it would be best to post here about the Wrasse situation.

65g display
1.5" sandbed
Good amount of caves and such in rocks.
2 Clowns
2 Firefish
1 YWG+ Shrimp

I have done some wrasse research, but I am still terrible at the whole fish thing. There are JUST SO MANY and hard to know what does and doesn't work.

Here is what I have come up with with my limited knowledge (appear to be very safe).

Fairy Wrasse (using Evolved's chart):

Exquisite Fairy (Exquisitius Complex)
Pintail (too big?) (Lunatus Complex)

These are both on the less aggressive side and appear to be far enough apart that there should not be any issues. The Exquisite can bring the blue color I lack in my tank.

Flasher Wrasse (Using LA descriptions and pics):

McCosker's Flasher
Diamond-Tail Flasher
(and/or Carpenter's Flasher)

Flasher and Fairy don't decimate pods, correct? They are also not really good for pest control either?
You are correct, Fairy and Flasher wrasses don't eat pods and won't help with pest control. Based on the foot print of your tank being 36x23x22 avoid the Diamond Tail flasher they get large and a bit boisterous for a flasher. McCosker's and Carpenter's look very similar so your best bet is to pick one to avoid any potential quarreling in a tank your size. The Exquisite and Pintail should get along fine together (I've kept them together). On paper the Pintail looks big, but the two I've had weren't overly active so one should be fine in your tank.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SaltyT my little experience lineatus and couple other fairies hunted and ate amphipods a lot. Not sure if they touched copepods. Would that be a trait drom species Or individual fish.

I like to video them then reply slow. You can see them grab one, bite in half spitting out half then getting the last piece. In real time you couldn’t even notice it was so fast

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SaltyT my little experience lineatus and couple other fairies hunted and ate amphipods a lot. Not sure if they touched copepods. Would that be a trait drom species Or individual fish.

I like to video them then reply slow. You can see them grab one, bite in half spitting out half then getting the last piece. In real time you couldn’t even notice it was so fast
Not sure any wrasse can resist an amphipod! My little flame wrasse goes after amphipods too when they're dumb enough to come out during the day LOL I believe Hasted was asking about copepods bc he/she mentioned getting a mandarin in the other thread.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure any wrasse can resist an amphipod! My little flame wrasse goes after amphipods too when they're dumb enough to come out during the day LOL I believe Hasted was asking about copepods bc he/she mentioned getting a mandarin in the other thread.
Think they was talking about copepods but I always wondered about amphipods. Some do and some don’t for my fairies. Guessing it’s because of being fed multiple times a day.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone got pictures of a terminal radiant? I can’t find one.
Lately my radiants stripes are glowing and top back of head is glowing green. Had him year and a half. Think he has been full grown 6 months

He wouldn’t hold still for a good head shot but this picture shows too back of head
AB957626-1553-48F6-9ADC-29FE89DD8B21.jpeg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe @OrionN ’s radiant is a terminal male now. Maybe he can post a pic of his. My radiant is about 5 inches and just barely showing signs of transitioning now.

texun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking a Waterbox 70.2 and looking for some feedback. Was looking to get three wrasse in there if possible.

Bonded Pair Frostbites
Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse
Yellow Watchman or Yasha Shrimp Goby

and/or

Orange Back Fairy Wrasse
McCoskers Wrasse
Scotts Fairy Wrasse

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking a Waterbox 70.2 and looking for some feedback. Was looking to get three wrasse in there if possible.

Bonded Pair Frostbites
Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse
Yellow Watchman or Yasha Shrimp Goby

and/or

Orange Back Fairy Wrasse
McCoskers Wrasse
Scotts Fairy Wrasse
My guess is orange back and Scott’s not being a great option. If my memory is correct they are more aggressive. Others will have better advice

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is orange back and Scott’s not being a great option. If my memory is correct they are more aggressive. Others will have better advice
^ agree. Scott’s is the most aggressive fairy wrasse, it does not mix well with other fairy wrasses (or flasher wrasses). C. aurantidorsalis (orange back) can be a jerk in a tank that size. The McCoskers and Pintail will mix well together.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back