The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered a 60x24x20 aquarium and am planning on having as many wrasses as possible.
In my last 48x30x20 tank I had malanarus, checkerboard and a leopard wrasse.
I plan to get these same 3. Can I have more then that with out issues. What other wrasses could I have? I am not a huge fan of flasher but will consider and research all suggestions. Thank you.
I have 3 in my 48" 120 and will add a 4th. I think you would do fine with 1-2 of the peaceful fairy wrasses. Flame, pintail, rhomboid, etc

calvertc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a new bluesfar leopard wrasse for my birthday! He's so small. Half n inch long
I've had him two weeks now and he's doing g great eating and getting along with the meleagris leopard and potters leopard wrasses.
20210226_172735.jpg

Rudefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a new bluesfar leopard wrasse for my birthday! He's so small. Half n inch long
I've had him two weeks now and he's doing g great eating and getting along with the meleagris leopard and potters leopard wrasses.
For how long did he hide in the sand before coming out on a regular basis?

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one is easier to care, the Carpenter or McCosker? They look very similar
Thanks

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked all the rocks so now I’m really distraught, he was doing so well in my quarantine even with copper. I lifted all the rocks yesterday but didn’t see anything m, I might have missed one rock so I’ll check today
It really is amazing the places fish can find to hide.

Especially with lr in the mix. It's going to take me weeks to get my red sea wrasse out of her tank and into the biggest one because she's got a den in every single rock. She posts up and will not come out until I'm a few feet away.

Give it time, be positive. We're pulling for you

calvertc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For how long did he hide in the sand before coming out on a regular basis?
My new lil guy didn't hide at all after I put him in the tank he was out and about then buried for a couple hours n has been out everyday since.

Rudefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new lil guy didn't hide at all after I put him in the tank he was out and about then buried for a couple hours n has been out everyday since.
That is interesting. I see fish can have different personality even within the same species. I received 4 last Friday and so far I have only seen 2 out and that is at night. Not even sure if they are the same two or they are taking turn to show up. Now I am just hoping that all 4 are still alive.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple more pics for you.
hard to get a good one!

Under blues but was able to see the fin a bit more
20210312_154953.jpg

20210312_154704.jpg

20210312_154722.jpg
Yep, that’s C. filamentosus, Whip-fin fairy. They can be real jerks towards other fairies and flashers.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that’s C. filamentosus, Whip-fin fairy. They can be real jerks towards other fairies and flashers.

Thanks for the ID, so glad I have a jerk fish instead :(
Was wanting to get some more wrasse, such as Banana, maybe lime, maybe mcoskers (or some other flasher type) & cleaner wrasse.

Would I be okay with them if I use an acclimation box for a few days? or am I asking for trouble?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ID, so glad I have a jerk fish instead :(
Was wanting to get some more wrasse, such as Banana, maybe lime, maybe mcoskers (or some other flasher type) & cleaner wrasse.

Would I be okay with them if I use an acclimation box for a few days? or am I asking for trouble?

If by Banana wrasse you mean Thalassoma lutescens, it can get up to a foot long and is not reef safe. It will likely not allow any other wrasses.

What wrasse are you referring to as Lime wrasse? That's also a common name for the above Banana wrasse.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my mccoskers, it’s been a week since I put him from my quarantine into my display and he hasn’t shown :(, I think he’s gone

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 139 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back