The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If by Banana wrasse you mean Thalassoma lutescens, it can get up to a foot long and is not reef safe. It will likely not allow any other wrasses.

What wrasse are you referring to as Lime wrasse? That's also a common name for the above Banana wrasse.
Thanks for the info, I believe it's the Yellow/Canary wrasse, Halichoeres chrysus (LFS called it banana).

Ended up getting one as it seems to be peaceful and reef safe. It buries into the sand to hide. I was going to buy a separation box, but had already racked up a bit of a bill, so I thought I'd leave it purely for the fact this guy hid in the sand. See how things go when it comes back out but at the moment it's hid somewhere.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CarpenterFlasher2021031201.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, I believe it's the Yellow/Canary wrasse, Halichoeres chrysus (LFS called it banana).

Ended up getting one as it seems to be peaceful and reef safe. It buries into the sand to hide. I was going to buy a separation box, but had already racked up a bit of a bill, so I thought I'd leave it purely for the fact this guy hid in the sand. See how things go when it comes back out but at the moment it's hid somewhere.

That was a good choice! H. chrysus is probably the most laid back of all the Halichoeres wrasses and a great addition. It's my favorite Halichoeres.

Just a word of caution. If the Lime wrasse you mentioned was Halichoeres chloropterus, avoid it at all cost. While it looks a lot like a green version of H. chrysus, it's a completely different animal. It get's dull, big and mean as an adult.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a good choice! H. chrysus is probably the most laid back of all the Halichoeres wrasses and a great addition. It's my favorite Halichoeres.

Just a word of caution. If the Lime wrasse you mentioned was Halichoeres chloropterus, avoid it at all cost. While it looks a lot like a green version of H. chrysus, it's a completely different animal. It get's dull, big and mean as an adult.

Thanks for the warning, thankfully didn't go with that as the missus wasn't too fussed on it when seeing it in person.
We were looking to add some more colour to the tank but thought the H. chrysus would be enough for the moment.

They also had some blue sided fairy wrasse ( Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura I think it is) that my partner really liked the colours of, wasn't sure if this would be a bad mix with the existing C. filamentosus, Whip-fin fairy & the H. chrysus so didn't include with the purchase, but what would everyone's thoughts on that one be?

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The C. cyanopleura would not be a problem, however C. filamentosus is one of the most aggressive of fairy wrasses. He may not tolerate any other fairy wrasses. There are individual differences in behavior but you will be very lucky if you can keep other fairies unless your tank is very large.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The C. cyanopleura would not be a problem, however C. filamentosus is one of the most aggressive of fairy wrasses. He may not tolerate any other fairy wrasses. There are individual differences in behavior but you will be very lucky if you can keep other fairies unless your tank is very large.
Ah okay, thanks.

How would a flasher go with it? There's not one available locally at all currently, but originally bought the filamentosus under the understanding it was a Blue Flasher (ie. nice big fins to display etc), would I get away with some sort of flasher in the tank?
(it's only a 50 gallon, so wouldn't want to risk another fairy I don't think).

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay, thanks.

How would a flasher go with it? There's not one available locally at all currently, but originally bought the filamentosus under the understanding it was a Blue Flasher (ie. nice big fins to display etc), would I get away with some sort of flasher in the tank?
(it's only a 50 gallon, so wouldn't want to risk another fairy I don't think).

You can try but be prepared to intervene and rehome one of them. I doubt the filamentosus will tolerate a flasher in that size tank long term. Sorry! If it were me, I would take the filamentosus back to the LFS that sold it as a flasher wrasse!

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try but be prepared to intervene and rehome one of them. I doubt the filamentosus will tolerate a flasher in that size tank long term. Sorry! If it were me, I would take the filamentosus back to the LFS that sold it as a flasher wrasse!
Yes I agree, they have to give you credit or your money back more so since it was misrepresented

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this at Galactic Coral in Houston. If I did not have harems of Meleagris and Black leopards in my DT, I would have got them.
Instead I got two female Radiant Wrasse instead. Pictures later. Now just the Harem of Blue Star Leopards. I know how hard it is got get healthy Leopard so i just want to give a heads-up to the Houston Reefers, or any reefers in Texas who are looking for a harem.
leopardbluestar2021031301-jpg.2077510

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back