The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. That’s the chart I remember seeing somewhere before but couldn’t find it. Appreciate the feedback. Will use this chart to come up with a better list, possibly more. How long of a span should I wait between adding them? I plan to make a large order and could keep some in a temporary tank till I can add them to the main display.

Yes, in a tank your size you could add more. I had missed that you have a puffer, and that may be an issue with smaller wrasse. I'm not the right person to give you reliable advice with regards to the puffer, but I would recommend looking into that further.

Regarding the chart, I have found it to be a helpful guideline, with bendable rules. If you select wrasses that are more aggressive from the same complex, just need to be aware that the probability of poor compatibility goes up. I've used the chart and believe it's solid. I have a flame, earl's, and roseafascia that are all from the same complex. My system is a 330 gallon mixed reef and the roseafascia was added after several other wrasse had become established because in general they can be more aggressive than the flame and Earl's. The larger the tank the more bendable the rules are for the smaller wrasses.

In terms of timing, I typically place fairy and flashers in social acclimation for a week. I like to allow them to settle into the tank for a bit before adding the next one. I don't follow a rule, but exercise a bit of discretion. If a fish is timid and doesn't appear settled, I may wait longer to reduce stress and help them get more acclimated. In general I wait at least 2 weeks, but some fish are uncommonly available, and I've taken them when they become available.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of timing, I typically place fairy and flashers in social acclimation for a week. I like to allow them to settle into the tank for a bit before adding the next one. I don't follow a rule, but exercise a bit of discretion. If a fish is timid and doesn't appear settled, I may wait longer to reduce stress and help them get more acclimated. In general I wait at least 2 weeks, but some fish are uncommonly available, and I've taken them when they become available.
This is what I do, I usually reserve a fish if it’s uncommon for about a week and then grab it (If not sooner). If it’s not a sensitive fish then I will often take it after observing the fish for an hour, I did this with my radiant and my indo lubbocki when it’s wrasse wise. In terms of other fish I did this with my angelfish and tilefish. My tilefish was reserved for a week due to it being stressed but the Angel was an instant bring home after about 6 hours of watching him - same thing with my iridis and lubbock.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top two
Nursalim Do I really need to explain
Trio Choati Again do I need to explain
Those are some BEAUTIFUL wrasses. I can see why they’re your dream ones!!
My reachable ones are:
second iridis
black leopard
Choati leopard
pintail fairy
Johnson’s fairy
Nursalim flasher
Madagascan half bar flasher

My unreachable ones are:
Flame fairy
Red Tailed Tamarin

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some BEAUTIFUL wrasses. I can see why they’re your dream ones!!
My reachable ones are:
second iridis
black leopard
Choati leopard
pintail fairy
Johnson’s fairy
Nursalim flasher
Madagascan half bar flasher

My unreachable ones are:
Flame fairy
Red Tailed Tamarin
They all are on my list. So many and they all have a uniqueness to them. Radiant’s are always a crowd favorite

The jeweled leopard is another one I love. Any fish from Madagascar wins my love

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all are on my list. So many and they all have a uniqueness to them. Radiant’s are always a crowd favorite

The jeweled leopard is another one I love. Any fish from Madagascar wins my love
My LFS get the jewelled leopards in quite often, I can completely agree with you on them!! Any wrasse from Africa/Madagascar and Hawaii are my favourites. I love the wrasses from Indonesia just not quite as much!!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choati leopard, for obvious reasons. Price does not come into consideration with this one.

Flame fairy, out of my reach to be quite honest. I just cannot justify the price. Although I do see they have come way down in price since I last looked. So this one maybe in my tank one day.

Exquisite fairy, just don't see them around much. Ha done in the past, and probably close second on my list of favorite wrasses.

And last but not least, yellow banded possum. Not for any real reason, other then I can't seem to keep this one. I have owned a couple over the years, but always very timid, and always end up carpet surfing for some reason.

Nothing to exotic to be honest.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choati leopard, for obvious reasons. Price does not come into consideration with this one.

Flame fairy, out of my reach to be quite honest. I just cannot justify the price. Although I do see they have come way down in price since I last looked. So this one maybe in my tank one day.

Exquisite fairy, just don't see them around much. Ha done in the past, and probably close second on my list of favorite wrasses.

And last but not least, yellow banded possum. Not for any real reason, other then I can't seem to keep this one. I have owned a couple over the years, but always very timid, and always end up carpet surfing for some reason.

Nothing to exotic to be honest.
I love the possum wrasses, I unfortunately lost my previous one because of an urchin unfortunately (It was about a 1” tanakai.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS get the jewelled leopards in quite often, I can completely agree with you on them!! Any wrasse from Africa/Madagascar and Hawaii are my favourites. I love the wrasses from Indonesia just not quite as much!!
I passed a few times on jeweled. If I get impatient with Choati jeweled would be the replacement. kuiteri is also on the leopard list.
My goal before Hawaii shut down was reef safe Hawaii fish. I know of I guy who been holding yellow tangs if I decide to complete Hawaii fish. My Achilles is from Hawaii or I would have passed up getting her. Yes her it

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An urchin? Do tell.

I often worry about some of my fish with the 4 urchins I have.
Absolutely no idea why but one night last year (Actually I think this was 2020), I was kept awake by crushing noises. I thought it was my dogs or something outside because the window was open. I went downstairs to look at my main tank and make sure it wasn’t that but low and behold it was just fine. I was then messaging some friends who were awake in panic and never turned my light on (This was about midnight). Started just listening to music and trying to sleep, it failed unfortunately, about 3am I then did another round making sure it wasn’t the gecko or other fish tank (Constantly walking past the nano). This was back when I had the 15g tank running, and I had the urchin in there to help with an algae issue (Either GHA or Cyano). It then got to 6am and I turned on my light, and then two pops happened (I think this was the eyes). I looked at the tank and this is what I saw:
EC27BDE7-EFAF-4E59-8676-C29EE73873DB.jpeg

The very same urchin is still living in my 4’ tank (After this he was removed in an instant - I wasn’t risking my yasha goby’s life).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, never heard of an urchin eating a fish before! Specially a decent sized one.
Yeah, I never would’ve thought it could be possible, that’s why I make sure both urchins have food in the 4’ tank with my 1-1.5” lubbock fairy

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I never would’ve thought it could be possible, that’s why I make sure both urchins have food in the 4’ tank with my 1-1.5” lubbock fairy
That’s crazy like many things that happen at times. Do you think it’s possible the wrasse was dying that night for the urchin started to munch? I always think about some cuc type members wondering if they would grab a sleeping wrasse. Sorry

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s crazy like many things that happen at times. Do you think it’s possible the wrasse was dying that night for the urchin started to munch? I always think about some cuc type members wondering if they would grab a sleeping wrasse. Sorry
I actually think the wrasse was already dying at the time and was weak. I can’t imagine a healthy fish being eaten by CUC

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just gone back through this thread and your wrasse gangs always shock me, it’s as if bankruptcy just doesn’t exist haha. Some of the recent chaotic pictures just amaze me still. And the potters wrasses, I wish Hawaii was open still because they have some beauties over there. I would love to see photos of peoples Anampses neoguinaicus or if anyone still owns one: Anampses chyrsocephalus.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many very nice wrasse in this thread through the years.
There really are, and it just shows how varieties have both grown and lessened in the recent years.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with carpet anemones with wrasse. Would like a carpet but a wrasse that is stressed or has a doh moment I would hate to loose. My wrasse will dive between tentacles of a BTA for food and don’t know if some will understand not to with a carpet.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back