The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the store you buy from, I know one LFS that ships sand in with any sand sleeping species. I also do this but this when bagging them up.
Well someone’s been on a break recently ;)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve tried Naokoe twice and both times they died. I’m guessing it’s something to do with collection like cyanide collection. My first died of UNWD and it is the wrasse I see on that thread most often unfortunately.
IMG_1928.jpeg

As for Iridis. They are really beautiful and mine adapted immediately. Also mine is an absolutely perfect citizen unlike my other halichoeres who sometimes bully.
IMG_3165.jpeg

Haven’t had the other fairies but with a leopard I’d say it should do well if it’s eating. The usual shipping injuries are their usual downfall. I wouldn’t say they’re that difficult though.
She’s beautiful, look at that red line starting to show on her!
This is my big boy from Atleast 6 months ago.
D8A18E89-CD96-465F-BB5D-5025CB3CD265.jpeg

But my best Halichoeres is by far this big green boy ;)
88E25F91-E87B-4340-BEE5-CC8DFC9B34E2.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well someone’s been on a break recently ;)
Yup ;)
Been enjoying the cities of the Netherlands.
41F10560-CBC0-4F52-A2C7-C05084E0CDA7.jpeg

And for fun I just had to go into an aquarium and I got to see a captive Cuckoo Wrasse plus a mature Coral Hogfish.
D5170BB0-FBB8-43C4-8F1C-4B649227EF2A.jpeg

B2D902D6-3874-4AE3-B8D2-F7E68F77D263.jpeg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup ;)
Been enjoying the cities of the Netherlands.
41F10560-CBC0-4F52-A2C7-C05084E0CDA7.jpeg

And for fun I just had to go into an aquarium and I got to see a captive Cuckoo Wrasse plus a mature Coral Hogfish.
D5170BB0-FBB8-43C4-8F1C-4B649227EF2A.jpeg

B2D902D6-3874-4AE3-B8D2-F7E68F77D263.jpeg
Which city? Love visiting The Netherlands! Always come back energized, bc I've been walking 100 blocks a day (I don't ride bikes there, I'd cause a pile-up).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which city? Love visiting The Netherlands! Always come back energized, bc I've been walking 100 blocks a day (I don't ride bikes there, I'd cause a pile-up).
Utrecht is where I’m staying but I’ve been round Amsterdam and going to Rotterdam today.
I cant remember the name of the village I went round yesterday. But also went onto a few beaches (With regrets after… I prefer sand in our tanks, it can’t get into shoes).

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so cool, are you using anything besides the SLR an lens?
Use a cell phone in a view box here. Trying to take a picture of the clam but the wrasse photobomb the picture.
I have an iPhone and an Olympus E-M5-ll with several lenses.
The lens I used the most is the Zukio 12-40 Pro. It is a great setup. It is not professional quality but good enough for me. Kinda mid to high consumer quality cameras 5 years ago. But we all know how electronic changes. Fortunately advances in cameras is not that great. I think we nearly reach the limit in the physics of things. Now just better and better sensors. Resulting in higher and higer resolution. This resolution is more than high enough for me.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I keep two haliochoerus wrasse in my 3ft 60g?
I was thinking iridis and yellow coris.
I have kept a yellow coris but have not kept an iridis.
I think the Iridis should be OK in a 60 gal. I had an unusual bad experience with a Chrysus 26 years ago and have not keep one since. He was fine then repeatedly attacking my Blue Maxima, like junks of the mantle every 10-15 seconds. I was right there and took him out quickly. It was easy because he just dove right into the sand when I put my hand into the tank. This behavior is highly unusual to say the least.
You may want to look at the Leucoxanthus. This wrasse is, IMO, a much better-looking wrasse as an adult. Other than the look, everything is practically the same.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’s beautiful, look at that red line starting to show on her!
This is my big boy from Atleast 6 months ago.
D8A18E89-CD96-465F-BB5D-5025CB3CD265.jpeg

But my best Halichoeres is by far this big green boy ;)
88E25F91-E87B-4340-BEE5-CC8DFC9B34E2.jpeg
...best Halichoeres is by far...
I am not sure why do you like this wrasse so much. Is she going to get much greener as a terminal male? What is your attraction to her?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure why do you like this wrasse so much. Is she going to get much greener as a terminal male? What is your attraction to her?
I'm glad you said it. I cant think has so many beautiful fish, regal angel, majestic angel, leopard wrasse, mandarin, naoko, iridis, CBB many of the prettiest fish in the hobby and his are perfect specimens. Then there is one I do not get...... sorry H chlopterus.

Sad Cry GIF by TheFactory.video

Last edited:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I keep two haliochoerus wrasse in my 3ft 60g?
I was thinking iridis and yellow coris.
I have kept a yellow coris but have not kept an iridis.
It will depend on how much of the territory one decides to take and how well he/she will tolerate the other. 3 foot is a little small for them long term, and I honestly wouldn’t keep a Halichoeres in anything less than a 80 gallon mid or long term. The iridis could work, but it would be a little risky to keep him long term there. As for the Halichoeres chrysus, he should be fine, but again he may be on the pushy side if added before the iridis. I’d recommend you do only 1 or the other, just to give them enough territorial space and swim room without needing to bump into the other, though having both can be done.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think the Iridis should be OK in a 60 gal
I respectfully disagree. I think it would be just a bit small for the iridis, at least mid or long term. Since 60 gallons are typically 2 or 3 foot, I find the footprint too small for them, especially if one is like me and likes to put rocks and corals all over the sand bed

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will depend on how much of the territory one decides to take and how well he/she will tolerate the other. 3 foot is a little small for them long term, and I honestly wouldn’t keep a Halichoeres in anything less than a 80 gallon mid or long term. The iridis could work, but it would be a little risky to keep him long term there. As for the Halichoeres chrysus, he should be fine, but again he may be on the pushy side if added before the iridis. I’d recommend you do only 1 or the other, just to give them enough territorial space and swim room without needing to bump into the other, though having both can be done.
I had a yellow coris in there for 6 years after it was already a few years old. I'm just debating if two were possible. I'll probably go a single iridis then given I've already kept a yellow coris.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow coris in there for 6 years after it was already a few years old. I'm just debating if two were possible. I'll probably go a single iridis then given I've already kept a yellow coris.
2 is doable, it’s just long term there’s a good possibility it won’t work out. Iridis are my favorite Halichoeres btw.

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added the iridis and exquisite last week, doing good so far, the Mccoskers likes to flash the exquisite quite a bit which is nice to finally see it flash, never used to before I put them in. Iridis just minds his own buisness and doesn’t bother anyone. My pin tail also started coming out more when I added them which is nice to see! Still no sign of the red lined wrasse which has been a month since I added her so sadly I think she is a goner. Don’t mine the blue light, I was too lazy to look for my lens filter lol
6858AB6F-0E9D-4633-9028-F71EAF37FF3D.jpeg
6EE8D439-189B-46B1-B0A0-CED4F10B8B65.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are leopards with sand dwelling nems like RFAs and LTAs? They're not going to blunder and nose dive into death's maws, right?
I have several RFAs and I doubt a wrasse would let that happen. They are just asleep not comatose under there. I’ve tried to catch a sleeping wrasse and failed as they are still aware and fast.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are leopards with sand dwelling nems like RFAs and LTAs? They're not going to blunder and nose dive into death's maws, right?
They shouldn’t but there have been cases of them eating wrasse, but not because they dove into it

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 78.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back