labroides dimidiatus
What size tank is it?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, i can safely add these without seeing a lot of fightings?
You should be able to, just keep an eye out of aggression between the three leopards. I recommend going for Bipartitus first, then Negrosensis and then meleagris.

Hectaka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my first 2 wrasses on Saturday. A McCosker and Carpenter. They took a couple hours to acclimate and get over shipping stress but were eating a few hours after that. I ordered them from @Dr. Reef and they both look super healthy. I also ordered a Linespot but it was not healthy enough to ship yet (was moved to a new order I had already placed). They love swimming around in the open until you get the camera near the glass.
Resized_20220731_170538.jpeg
20220731_101543.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my first 2 wrasses on Saturday. A McCosker and Carpenter. They took a couple hours to acclimate and get over shipping stress but were eating a few hours after that. I ordered them from @Dr. Reef and they both look super healthy. I also ordered a Linespot but it was not healthy enough to ship yet (was moved to a new order I had already placed). They love swimming around in the open until you get the camera near the glass.
20220731_101543.jpg
These are beautiful specimens, and they are a proper PITA to photograph. Mine will swim in open water even with the camera but he will dart to the opposite side of the tank.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220731_101543.jpg
Cover the back of your phone with black construction paper or similar. Most phone backs are very reflective. Also, turn off the room lights.

Hectaka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cover the back of your phone with black construction paper or similar. Most phone backs are very reflective. Also, turn off the room lights.
Thanks for the tips. My wife's the photographer so I'll pass along the advice and hopefully she can get some even better pictures. The first picture turned out great after many attempts, the rest were very blurry or it would turn to face the camera.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently ran across an old thread here that @evolved( I don't believe he's around anymore, but is/was a wrasse expert) responded to about a leopard that swam the top of the water often times splashing water out of the tank.

My negrosensis started doing this a few months ago, I had assumed he was searching for food as it usually starts right after the auto feeder goes off dispensing pellets that often times floats before they sink.

But now reading this thread, I wonder if it's courtship behavior and I have a male black?

I know the females and male blacks are not much different(slightly different coloring), and I have noticed this black I have is slightly different coloring then any previous(more blue in the scales, and the white spots are more diamond shaped rather then round). From what I have read, this should indicate a male black leopard? I do know all leopards are born female, and have never seen a black transition before, but I do believe I have a male black thats displaying courtship behavior.

What do you guys think?

EDIT:
Now that I think about it, this behavior started shortly after the new moyers started staying out and not being bullied by the melagris.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently ran across an old thread here that @evolved( I don't believe he's around anymore, but is/was a wrasse expert) responded to about a leopard that swam the top of the water often times splashing water out of the tank.

My negrosensis started doing this a few months ago, I had assumed he was searching for food as it usually starts right after the auto feeder goes off dispensing pellets that often times floats before they sink.

But now reading this thread, I wonder if it's courtship behavior and I have a male black?

I know the females and male blacks are not much different(slightly different coloring), and I have noticed this black I have is slightly different coloring then any previous(more blue in the scales, and the white spots are more diamond shaped rather then round). From what I have read, this should indicate a male black leopard? I do know all leopards are born female, and have never seen a black transition before, but I do believe I have a male black thats displaying courtship behavior.

What do you guys think?

EDIT:
Now that I think about it, this behavior started shortly after the new moyers started staying out and not being bullied by the melagris.
You may have a transitioning negrosensis, mature males have quite large diamonds. I cant remember who has/had a mature male but I’m sure I saw someone on here had one a while ago.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have a transitioning negrosensis, mature males have quite large diamonds. I cant remember who has/had a mature male but I’m sure I saw someone on here had one a while ago.
I do believe it is transitioning. I have never had a black show colors as this one. I'll try to grab some pics later when the lights come up.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a tough fish to get pictures of. Will swim at the top of the tank, and do the splashing thing, but as soon as I grab my phone, it runs to the back of the tank. lol

Best I could do. You can see she/he has lost most of the white spots, and those that remain are taking on a dimaond patter as opposed to the white "spots" it did have. It also has developed a thin blue line on the anal fin. Like I said, I have never seen an adult male, or had one transition. So what do you think?
20220802_122345.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a tough fish to get pictures of. Will swim at the top of the tank, and do the splashing thing, but as soon as I grab my phone, it runs to the back of the tank. lol

Best I could do. You can see she/he has lost most of the white spots, and those that remain are taking on a dimaond patter as opposed to the white "spots" it did have. It also has developed a thin blue line on the anal fin. Like I said, I have never seen an adult male, or had one transition. So what do you think?
20220802_122345.jpg
Looking at the tail and the anal fin I’d say you have yourself a transitional male Macropharyngodon negrosensis. The tail is a huge indicator as usually females have a clear tail whilst yours is a tinted black, similar to that seen on the males.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you mention it, never noticed the tail fin turning black. But yes it is tinted black and not completely clear like it used to be.
It’s one of the biggest telltale signs yet it can go under the radar for so long. I only noticed my Radiant got the red streak going into his tail after looking through photos where he had the completely clear tail and wasn’t a transitioning male and instead was a female.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s one of the biggest telltale signs yet it can go under the radar for so long. I only noticed my Radiant got the red streak going into his tail after looking through photos where he had the completely clear tail and wasn’t a transitioning male and instead was a female.
Now that I’ve said this I may need to double check the radiants tail as I can’t remember if something changes with that or not haha.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back