The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question for any experienced wrasse keepers.
My Carpenter is a young male. Does he require other flasher wrasses to develop into a terminal phase male with all the gorgeous colors? What if I keep him by himself? Will he develop? Is this the same with other fairy and flasher wrasses?
TIA

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never have used a acclimation box with my leopards....in my opinion it would be added stress.....others that have used one though might give your more info....is there a way to put some sand in there?
I always use an acclimation box without sand for leopards, anampses, and pseudojuloides. Not having sand prevents them from staying buried in the acclimation box, which defeats the whole purpose of noting potential aggression and the potential aggressor from calming itself down because it can't get to the fish in the box. Also, if it still isn't adjusted to the daylight period, this helps synchronize it to the tanks schedule. I have had much greater success this way than before when I wouldn't qt them, but just throw them into the display.
I am still very new at keeping Fairy wrasses. From everything I read about these wrasses, they suppose to eat out of the water column and not bother any mobile surface invertebrates. Maybe I misunderstand what I read, but my observation about my Laboutei wrasse show that this is wrong about my Laboutei and Carpenter wrasses. When the light start to come up in my tank, they go crazy eating pods and other crustaceans of off the rock, glass and macro algae in my QT tank. Both are very fat now and only been fed in AM, then two more in the evening.

Anybody else observe their Fairy and Flasher wrasses gorge themselves on Pods?
They can go after benthic prey, but aren't as skilled at it or as likely to as the sand burying species. Though some indiduals can be more prone to do it than others.

Another question for any experienced wrasse keepers.
My Carpenter is a young male. Does he require other flasher wrasses to develop into a terminal phase male with all the gorgeous colors? What if I keep him by himself? Will he develop? Is this the same with other fairy and flasher wrasses?
TIA
If it can feel dominant it can transition fully. But if other fish are keeping him in check, whether wrasses or not, he will not go terminal.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a leopard go with a melanurus? Does the leopard require a sand bed? I know my melanurus does, but they're in different qts, so wondering if I need a Tupperware containers for the second

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a leopard go with a melanurus? Does the leopard require a sand bed? I know my melanurus does, but they're in different qts, so wondering if I need a Tupperware containers for the second
It does. Try and read up more on leopards before buying one

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep.... Leopards require a sand bed....so you have the right idea....just put a Tupperware container in your QT like you did for the Melanurus...

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use an acclimation box without sand for leopards, anampses, and pseudojuloides. Not having sand prevents them from staying buried in the acclimation box, which defeats the whole purpose of noting potential aggression and the potential aggressor from calming itself down because it can't get to the fish in the box. Also, if it still isn't adjusted to the daylight period, this helps synchronize it to the tanks schedule. I have had much greater success this way than before when I wouldn't qt them, but just throw them into the display.

They can go after benthic prey, but aren't as skilled at it or as likely to as the sand burying species. Though some indiduals can be more prone to do it than others.

If it can feel dominant it can transition fully. But if other fish are keeping him in check, whether wrasses or not, he will not go terminal.
Good point about the sand in the acclimation container! I didn't think of that!

UABsleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone seems to be doing great so far! Melanarus checking her out but dosent seem to interested! The colors on this leopard are stunning.. photos don’t do it justice! Hopefully she survives ! Looking healthy so far
8b3f0eb305e4d39e45f56cdd0a1c6b1f.jpg
da827e099f66149518d516d697d690b5.jpg

Pintail seems to be flashing his colors a little more so of course I had to get a pic of that
6b6316416182a9699bdec39ce426797a.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two Flasher wrasse, Yellow Fin Terminal male and Carpenter sub male. Sorry for the dirty tank. They are in my QT getting fatter. As son as they are comfortable eating prepared food they will go into my 320 DT.
FlasherWrasses2018042201.jpg

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Okay...I have a question...I had my China Wrasse....Anampses neoguinaicus for a week....he was out and about since day one....eatting Mysis like pig...and very active....he would sleep in the sand at night...but today he didn't come out...I have 4 Leopards....so I am used to their behavior...but I have never had a Anampses before....I have a screen top....all water params check out....is this normal? Sorry for the newbie question because I am not a newbie..... thanks in advance! [emoji16]

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've only had him for a week, give him some more time, this isn't entirely unusual. Their care is quite similar to that of leopard wrasses.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question
Is having two male flasher wrasses in a 40 gal breeder (with plenty of rock and algae) detrimental to them? So far there are a lot of display but no biting. The smaller Carpenter sub male was there first for several weeks. I put the Yellow in in it Friday. The yellow fin was submissive at first but over the weekend, on Sunday, I clean and removed a lot of the algae from the tank. After the clean up the Yellow Fin started to flashes instead of being submissive. A this time the two fish occupied different area of the tank and will flash when they come close together. They also hold their fin almost fully erected almost all the time. When I feed, they both chasing food and often the faster one will get a particular piece of food, but no fighting that I can see.
Is this stressful for them? Having a rival male around the whole time?

Scott Tuttle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse Saturday and he was out in the tank for about 5 minutes after introduction to the tank, ever since he has been hiding in the same place in the live rock. How long before he stops hiding?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For better success small fish need to be QT so they are comfortable and eating well before release into general larger DT with larger fishes. How long your fish stay there depends on what fish out there in your DT and how threatening they are to the small wrasse. Good luck. I love to get a McCosker’s. Love that red fin.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back