The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine also started turning dark quickly. Probably a month or two. By the time he was a year or more in the tank he was almost completely black on the top half of his body.
You got before and after pics so I know what to expect lol?

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't have a later pic of him. And the one I do have won't load for some reason.
attachment.php

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I really didn’t like wrasses when I first started. Didn’t think I liked the look of any of them.
However, I just got these babies tonight!!! I’m so so excited!! Any advice for QT is welcome. Hoping to do mostly observation. They have a 9x13 glass dish of sand!! That should keep them happy until they get to the main tank!!

I was so excited to post here!!
3D62057A-EA9A-4C07-817F-0F391FC513B8.jpeg
33E4E9D2-79E0-4D53-AA6D-A3403F08C886.jpeg
8A6FA796-5AA9-447B-8C29-940D5C358F4B.jpeg

Congrats I hope they do well those are some of my fav leopard wrasse have one in qt now again doing well so far.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest Makes you think about adding on to SPS tank if they darken up.
Meh, it doesn't "ruin" the species - just changes them a bit.
My Sail-fin Fairy Wrasse. He is more and more colorful each day. Easy fish to keep

SailfinFW2018041802.jpg
SailfinFW2018041803.jpg
And a good example of it terrorizing your flame angel in those pictures! lol
They're pretty, but such a belligerent complex.
Ok. I really didn’t like wrasses when I first started. Didn’t think I liked the look of any of them.
However, I just got these babies tonight!!! I’m so so excited!! Any advice for QT is welcome. Hoping to do mostly observation. They have a 9x13 glass dish of sand!! That should keep them happy until they get to the main tank!!

Congrats, and looks good! Prazi would be advisable while in QT, and don't worry if they don't figure out the sand dish for a day or two - that's pretty normal but they always figure it out after a bit. If they don't take to frozen foods quickly, then go to live blackworms first.
I thought I had a good one of my old one too, but all I can find are pre-darkened ones.
So the best example I can come up with are Marvin's pics from 2011:
Attenuatus1.jpg

Attenuatus2.jpg

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh, it doesn't "ruin" the species - just changes them a bit.

And a good example of it terrorizing your flame angel in those pictures! lol
They're pretty, but such a belligerent complex.

Congrats, and looks good! Prazi would be advisable while in QT, and don't worry if they don't figure out the sand dish for a day or two - that's pretty normal but they always figure it out after a bit. If they don't take to frozen foods quickly, then go to live blackworms first.

I thought I had a good one of my old one too, but all I can find are pre-darkened ones.
So the best example I can come up with are Marvin's pics from 2011:
Attenuatus1.jpg

Attenuatus2.jpg
Thx. I can see where the black spread from just the base of the dorsal to the face area.

Hope this isn't too altering, bc mine has: sharp "female lyretail" orange + "tuka anthias" purple striping, and a "bartlett anthias" pink belly.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx. I can see where the black spread from just the base of the dorsal to the face area.

Hope this isn't too altering, bc mine has: sharp "female lyretail" orange + "tuka anthias" purple striping, and a "bartlett anthias" pink belly.
The orange will darken up and the pink may as well, but the purple stripes will stay.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hunter,
My Sailfin wrasse is not aggressive IMO, in my tank. It is actually the Flame angel is the one that make a dash at him occasionally but he just duck out of the way and no harm done. I have never seem him take a run at the angel or my other fish.
It is a 65 gal tank with a Yellow tang, a pair of flame angel, a pair of Azur Damsel, and a pair of Black snowflakes, and of course my Sailfin Fairy.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Sailfin wrasse is not aggressive IMO, in my tank. It is actually the Flame angel is the one that make a dash at him occasionally but he just duck out of the way and no harm done. I have never seem him take a run at the angel or my other fish.
Perhaps those are instances of the flame angel fighting back? Or maybe this is vise-verse, but the sailfin clearly has the flame pinned down here and is displaying dominance.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the vise-verse situation. Flame angels especially large males are no sissies.
The rock structures is full of large crevices, swim way and not a dead end. It have been months since I seem my Fairy wrasse flashes, so I got a bunch of pictures in about 30 seconds, ended up with just a few good ones.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if this fish is still alive, maybe you can snap a new pic when you get home?
Sorry, not alive. Those pics Hunter posted are a good example of what happens. Still a beautiful fish but would prefer it stay nice and bright red.

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks! Well. 2 of the three have found the sand dish. But I don’t like this whole burrows in the sand thing. Lol. I’m worried about them and want to make sure they are ok. The biggest one didn’t look so great last night, or. It as good as the other two. I know he’s alive, I’ve seen his tail a couple of times. But worried that she won’t come out to eat.
If I don’t see her eat by tomorrow should I poke in the sand a bit to get her out?

The two in the sand missed dinner tonight. I thought the food might draw them out.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I don’t see her eat by tomorrow should I poke in the sand a bit to get her out?
With all due respect, that would be about the worst thing to do. You would just be adding to the stress.
The two in the sand missed dinner tonight. I thought the food might draw them out.
Try to feed when they're out, and you can move the feeding time gradually back to keep them out longer. They won't emerge for food unless they're really hungry.

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all due respect, that would be about the worst thing to do. You would just be adding to the stress.

Try to feed when they're out, and you can move the feeding time gradually back to keep them out longer. They won't emerge for food unless they're really hungry.
That’s why I asked. I figured but thought I would make sure. The store only has a 48 hour policy on fish. So just want to make sure she’s ok. I will refrain from doing so.

I kept some of the food and will feed later tonight if they are out.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store only has a 48 hour policy on fish. So just want to make sure she’s ok.
If it helps, it is very rare they actually die in the sand; they almost always come out and lay on top of the sand before death.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice Leopards!!!!! I didn't quarantine my four Leopards. I just dripped them and put them in...had them all for a long time. A blue star...like yours....Moyers which is like a Kuiters..... Ornate....and a Melegris.

031817bb0b09c126c921ffef32b7e1a7.jpg
598aa8cfdd5d1e9cdb3d2f764d991600.jpg
bc75f77b8bcf90ef9154311a0d7c4a61.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back