The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question
Is having two male flasher wrasses in a 40 gal breeder (with plenty of rock and algae) detrimental to them? So far there are a lot of display but no biting. The smaller Carpenter sub male was there first for several weeks. I put the Yellow in in it Friday. The yellow fin was submissive at first but over the weekend, on Sunday, I clean and removed a lot of the algae from the tank. After the clean up the Yellow Fin started to flashes instead of being submissive. A this time the two fish occupied different area of the tank and will flash when they come close together. They also hold their fin almost fully erected almost all the time. When I feed, they both chasing food and often the faster one will get a particular piece of food, but no fighting that I can see.
Is this stressful for them? Having a rival male around the whole time?
This behavior is what gives them their name of flasher wrasses. As long as there is no damage or one keeping the other in hiding the behavior is perfectly fine.
Just bought a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse Saturday and he was out in the tank for about 5 minutes after introduction to the tank, ever since he has been hiding in the same place in the live rock. How long before he stops hiding?
OrionN's advice is sound.

Are there any other wrasses in the tank? Any assertive tankmates?

Plauri55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about my wrasse's behavior. Approximately a month ago I added a Solon Wrasse to my 75 gallon tank. Then two weeks later an Exquisite (after 3 days in a acclimation box). The two get along fine except at bedtime when they still spar over sleeping spots.
My question is this...the past few days the Exquisite has been showing a new behavior. He swims rapidly at the surface, 8-10 laps of the tank or sometimes up and down at one of the ends. Never actually see him "flash" but I am hoping that these actions are some sort of territorial display. I understand that sometimes they react to their reflection but that doesn't explain the top swimming behavior.
Any insight would be awesome.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Okay...I have a question...I had my China Wrasse....Anampses neoguinaicus for a week....he was out and about since day one....eatting Mysis like pig...and very active....he would sleep in the sand at night...but today he didn't come out...I have 4 Leopards....so I am used to their behavior...but I have never had a Anampses before....I have a screen top....all water params check out....is this normal? Sorry for the newbie question because I am not a newbie..... thanks in advance! [emoji16]

As mentioned normal behavior and similar to leopards....if you can keep them you shouldn’t have trouble keeping it....have mine over five years, but still hasn’t turned male.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about my wrasse's behavior. Approximately a month ago I added a Solon Wrasse to my 75 gallon tank. Then two weeks later an Exquisite (after 3 days in a acclimation box). The two get along fine except at bedtime when they still spar over sleeping spots.
My question is this...the past few days the Exquisite has been showing a new behavior. He swims rapidly at the surface, 8-10 laps of the tank or sometimes up and down at one of the ends. Never actually see him "flash" but I am hoping that these actions are some sort of territorial display. I understand that sometimes they react to their reflection but that doesn't explain the top swimming behavior.
Part of a normal display. Hoping to impress females.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is having two male flasher wrasses in a 40 gal breeder (with plenty of rock and algae) detrimental to them? So far there are a lot of display but no biting.
So long as they're not injuring another and neither is forced into constant hiding, then this is pretty normal and to be expected. No concerns.
Just bought a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse Saturday and he was out in the tank for about 5 minutes after introduction to the tank, ever since he has been hiding in the same place in the live rock. How long before he stops hiding?
That depends; why is it hiding now? (need some more info, mainly the other tankmates)
Sounds like a pretty normal display.

jimmyzhou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2f780d4474173b4ab4eee99198ac7bde.jpg
new fish in

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are in my holding tank I was thinking of adding two to the tank but the big dogs told me it’s a no no but I love these guys.
Yeah they would probably beat the hell out of each other. How big are they? 3 inches?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back