The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dude is out and happy and so am I. Gave my reef a great new look.

de9ea8c8dc156ba25d8e1369a4785c51.jpg

UABsleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I’m going to have to find a new home for my melanarus wrasse! Still trying to kill my new leopard wrasse.. even after three days in acclimation box and putting up a mirror in the tank to channel it’s aggression
f01ba96e46dde64565679a071f115292.jpg

It’s a beautiful fish just the biggest and most aggressive in the tank.. hate to see it go but I know I won’t be able to add any more wrasses the way it’s acting..

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the big dog said three days in acc box but sometimes it takes a little long I usually do 5-7. But as you see sometimes they jump out before time like these two did.

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cancun @evolved - lost one of the wrasses tonight. It was the big one that wasn't acting right from the beginning and wasn't eating.

The good news:
- the other two are both eating, even mysis
- it isn't my husband's fault
- I already started ramping up copper a few days ago

The bad news:
- one of the wrasses has a white streak on her tail. Not sure what it is but the big one had one on her tail too
- I don't see it spreading and I don't see white spots like ich on anyone, but they were both "scratching" against the rocks.

Questions:
- Copper should take care if they have flukes, correct?
- is it ok to keep 2 instead of 3 assuming they both make it through QT?

Any other suggestions? One was scratching on a rock, the one that eats like CRAZY was scratching her side on the sand.
@4FordFamily, @Big G, @melypr1985 and any other of the #reefsquad feel free to check in. I can move this to fish disease if I am getting too detailed with the wrasse thread. I just know they need special treatment :)

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip to confirm or eliminate flukes. Prazipro or General Cure for flukes.

Can the blue star leopards handle a FW dip?

Also - I already started copper. Almost to therapeutic. Did a 6 day ramp up. Would you say to remove that and do prazi?!!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cancun @evolved - lost one of the wrasses tonight. It was the big one that wasn't acting right from the beginning and wasn't eating.

The good news:

The bad news:
- one of the wrasses has a white streak on her tail. Not sure what it is but the big one had one on her tail too
- I don't see it spreading and I don't see white spots like ich on anyone, but they were both "scratching" against the rocks.

Questions:

Any other suggestions? One was scratching on a rock, the one that eats like CRAZY was scratching her side on the sand.
@4FordFamily, @Big G, @melypr1985 and any other of the #reefsquad feel free to check in. I can move this to fish disease if I am getting too detailed with the wrasse thread. I just know they need special treatment :)
Can you get a pic of the "white streak" on the tail? It may be flukes, but it may also be a bacterial infection. Copper is not effective against either.

In most cases 2 leopards will be fine together, but there exceptions.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the blue star leopards handle a FW dip?

Also - I already started copper. Almost to therapeutic. Did a 6 day ramp up. Would you say to remove that and do prazi?!!
Blue stars can handle a freshwater dip.

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a pic of the "white streak" on the tail? It may be flukes, but it may also be a bacterial infection. Copper is not effective against either.

I will try to get a pic. I am at work now but can try to get a pic this afternoon if she will come out of the sand. Would you recommend getting one more to make 3?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Blue stars can handle a freshwater dip.

I concur on both counts. We need to be sure what we are dealing with before treating.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to get a pic. I am at work now but can try to get a pic this afternoon if she will come out of the sand. Would you recommend getting one more to make 3?
If you want 3 you can get another one, but if you'll be fine with 2 you don't have to add one.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ceteris Paribus and assuming shipped healthy, I am entertaining getting two female red tail tamarins.

The vendor has one that is 3 inches, another that is 4 inches.

Wrasse Experts:

1. Research shows max size is 6 inches, some state 4 inches. Which is it?

2. Read the Anampses primer already and couldnt find what the preferred size to order these is?

3. Are those sizes going to cause more fighting? Or will one likely convert male?

4. Thoughts on doing a female yellow tail with a female red tail tamarin instead?

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ceteris Paribus and assuming shipped healthy, I am entertaining getting two female red tail tamarins.

Wrasse Experts:

2. Read the Anampses primer already and couldnt find what the preferred size to order these is?

3. Are those sizes going to cause more fighting? Or will one likely convert male?

4. Thoughts on doing a female yellow tail with a female red tail tamarin instead?

If you haven't already I would read Hunter's thread. Very informative.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/

Redtails are notoriously bad shippers and if you get one its best to get a smaller female. I've had my mitts on a couple but they die within a day. if I were you I would do the smaller one and put it with a yellow tail but I will let @evolved and @eatbreakfast chime in.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A. chrysocephalus top out at a little over 6.5".

Md femals ship better than small females or males. Either of those sizes is fine.

At that size I would be reluctant to recommend both. I had a harem of 4, had 1 transition to male, one female was killed before the transition, and the biggest female killed the other after the male transitioned.

A redtail and yellowtail should be fine together.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree, agree, and agree. :)
Would you recommend getting one more to make 3?
You can, but there's no need. I personally wouldn't bother, but it's up to you.

Wrasse Experts:

1) 6 inches
2) younger/medium is better, but in any regard it's a tricky/difficult species. The ship poorly and stress easily.
3) I wouldn't worry about fighting. You are not likely to get a male with this species - males tend to do even worse in captivity and usually revert unless they're already terminal (and somehow survive)
4) you can
Redtails are notoriously bad shippers and if you get one its best to get a smaller female. I've had my mitts on a couple but they die within a day. if I were you I would do the smaller one and put it with a yellow tail but I will let @evolved and @eatbreakfast chime in.
Agree. The more pessimistic outlook would be to get both red tails and if you're lucky you'll get one to make it.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The good news:

The bad news:

Questions:

Oh man....sorry you lost one....yea two should be fine together.....for flukes like others said prazipro and/or fresh water dip is the standard....others might chime in on copper use with Wrasses...I have never used copper with any of my Wrasses...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back