The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any wrasse that won't go after a clam. I plan on adding a blue star leopard pair but I've also always wanted a clam

I don't know of any wrasses that are a threat to clams. Fairy, flasher, leopard and halichoeres all should be fine.

khiyasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 34G DT with 9G sump, currently stocked with a pair of clowns, blackline fang blenny, royal gramma and a bunch of inverts (emerald crab, cleaner shrimp, hermits and snails)

Was thinking of adding a bottom dweller (watchman goby / scooter blenny) and a wrasse. 2 questions:

1) would 6 fish be too much for this tank?
2) what’s the best wrasse for this size tank for pests but is not a bully?

I like the pink streaked wrasse and although not as good for pest control as compared to the sixline, but at least is not a bully.

I also considered the secretive wrasse / scarlet pinstripe wrasse. Same genus as the sixline, so still good at pest control. However can the secretive be a bully as well?

Alternatively I also like the mystery wrasse but not sure if it’s too big for my tank or how it works with pests.

Any advise or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Seasidedeb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New baby. I just pulled from QT and added to the DT last night. Male or female?
20190902_133811.jpg
20190902_133811.jpg

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially ordered with lfs

Exquisite fairy
Red head Solon fairy
Pink margin fairy
Carpenter flasher

Then I read the Solon can be really aggressive towards other fairies. I'm trying to have a pretty compatible reef not trying to kick myself in the **** later. That being said for future safe I decided to cancel the red head Solon and get a hooded fairy. My lfs is saying the hooded will be more aggressive than the red head solon. I believe r2r members way before a lfs. But would like confirmation on the wrasse forum. Hoping this is a better chance at peace?

Exquisite fairy
Hooded fairy
Pink margin
Carpenter flasher

Doc Lemonjello

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Exquisite fairy
Red head Solon fairy
Pink margin fairy
Carpenter flasher

Then I read the Solon can be really aggressive towards other fairies. I'm trying to have a pretty compatible reef not trying to kick myself in the **** later. That being said for future safe I decided to cancel the red head Solon and get a hooded fairy. My lfs is saying the hooded will be more aggressive than the red head solon. I believe r2r members way before a lfs. But would like confirmation on the wrasse forum. Hoping this is a better chance at peace?

Exquisite fairy
Hooded fairy
Pink margin
Carpenter flasher

Hooded fairies are pretty peaceful IME.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Exquisite fairy
Red head Solon fairy
Pink margin fairy
Carpenter flasher

Exquisite fairy
Hooded fairy
Pink margin
Carpenter flasher

Out of that group and depending on size, the Exquisite or the Pink Margin may be the most aggressive but it is middle of the road. I would try to add females or young males as opposed to terminal males. I would add in this order.

Carpenter
Hooded
Pink Margin
Exquisite

You could probably interchange Pink Margin and Exquisite as far as timing goes. Try to use acclimation box when introducing new wrasse with established wrasse.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of that group and depending on size, the Exquisite or the Pink Margin may be the most aggressive but it is middle of the road. I would try to add females or young males as opposed to terminal males. I would add in this order.

Carpenter
Hooded
Pink Margin
Exquisite

You could probably interchange Pink Margin and Exquisite as far as timing goes. Try to use acclimation box when introducing new wrasse with established wrasse.
Hey thanks I was gonna at together so they were technically gonna be in display same time

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok well my LFS failed and told me some are on hold and waiting on 1 wrasse i called to confirm everything is on schedule and they now say they havent heard from the supplier and have not 1 of the 4.. so where to order? LA of course is now sold out of the 2 of the 4 i want... anybody order from bluezooaquatics orfishbusinessaquatics???? looking to hopefully find healthy wrasses.

pink margin fairy
exquisite fairy
hooded fairy
carpenter flasher.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok well my LFS failed and told me some are on hold and waiting on 1 wrasse i called to confirm everything is on schedule and they now say they havent heard from the supplier and have not 1 of the 4.. so where to order? LA of course is now sold out of the 2 of the 4 i want... anybody order from bluezooaquatics orfishbusinessaquatics???? looking to hopefully find healthy wrasses.

pink margin fairy
exquisite fairy
hooded fairy
carpenter flasher.

the big online places just drop ship from wholesale places, so it's just a matter of their guarantees and what not. some people like blue zoo, some like fishy business, some hate them

you could try asking: tsmcorals, marine collectors, and/or humblefish about doing the order. unless you really want to qt them yourself.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the big online places just drop ship from wholesale places, so it's just a matter of their guarantees and what not. some people like blue zoo, some like fishy business, some hate them

you could try asking: tsmcorals, marine collectors, and/or humblefish about doing the order. unless you really want to qt them yourself.
Thanks. Humble already has tangs on order to qt for me. I was hoping to do the 4 wrasses here.

Diddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not. They make mucus cocoons in rocks crevices.

Interesting. Setting up a 230g and looking for some good wrasses. I do like the sand burying ones like leopards etc. Wondering if a "sandbox" is a good idea or if I should just do some other wrasses dont need sand. Thoughts?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back