The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

LiveAquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response. Are they known to be super territorial? I'm curious what others have experienced with this breed as they get older. Mine has grown and is almost 3 years old. Just surprised how aggressive it was to the Goby.
They can get territorial. Every fish and aquarium is different. We keep a Yellow & Purple (Halichoeres leucoxanthus) with an Earmuff (Halichoeres melasmopomus), Vermiculated Leopard (Macropharyngodon bipartitus) and Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis) in one of our studio tanks with no issues. I love the Yellow & Purple Wrasse for its simple color scheme. It also swims to the top and jets water when you open the lid for feeding and don't feed them right away. Cool fish!

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of getting a Scott’s fairy wrasse, anyone have any experience? Are they as big butt heads as often described, mainly concerned with aggression with my red head Solon, gold banded and rosefacia wrasses? Thoughts chaps @evolved

Last edited:

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can get territorial. Every fish and aquarium is different. We keep a Yellow & Purple (Halichoeres leucoxanthus) with an Earmuff (Halichoeres melasmopomus), Vermiculated Leopard (Macropharyngodon bipartitus) and Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis) in one of our studio tanks with no issues. I love the Yellow & Purple Wrasse for its simple color scheme. It also swims to the top and jets water when you open the lid for feeding and don't feed them right away. Cool fish!
Very cool you find time lately to spend on forums and give your experiences. Most businesses only come around to defend them selves

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool you find time lately to spend on forums and give your experiences. Most businesses only come around to defend them selves

Agreed. And for the record, I referenced @LiveAquaria for the image and description. The Yellow Wrasse was a fish I purchased at my LFS here in Orange county. But I am definitely grateful for your team taking the time to answer very thoughtfully.

Happy reefing. :)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a LFS about an hour away... Female Blue Throated Fairy Wrasse. A bit camera shy, but man, she's pretty :)

Gotta see if I can get a male :)

IMG_20200124_185130.jpg
That is a male, not fully color yet but a terminal male nevertheless. You DON'T WANT ANOTHER Blue throat in the tank, male or female. Just take my word for it.
sailfinfw2018021901resized-jpg.745844

BlueThroatFairy2019040401.jpg

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I’d tried introducing a Cirrhilabrus Lineatus into my DT with an established Harlequin Tusk Wrasse (Choerodon fasciatus) and it didn’t go well for the Lineatus. It got beaten up pretty badly. Had to relocate the Lineatus to my hospital tank. I have a flame fairy wrasse coming soon so now I’m really worried about introducing the flame fairy into the DT. There goes that idea *sigh*
Help!! Since relocating the Lineatus fairy to my hospital tank, it can’t seem to swim properly. It’s either swimming upside down, vertically, or at an angle. Other than that, it’s been eating fine. Is there anything I can do for the poor Lineatus??

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, this new dude is sleeping in a pretty weird location— totally exposed. I haven’t seen that before.

Note that the specks are bits of coralline on the glass, not on the fish
ICz2qJ3.jpg

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this the same fish from the photos yesterday? His dorsal extensions are all gone and his tail looks tattered... Do you have another tank to put him in? It appears he is getting beat up.
[/QUOTE]
Have to agree. He looks a little stressed and has been picked on by something. Another wrasse? Any signs of aggression from others? I always recommend an acclimation box when introducing new wrasse to DT with established wrasse.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the same fish from the photos yesterday? His dorsal extensions are all gone and his tail looks tattered... Do you have another tank to put him in? It appears he is getting beat up.
[/QUOTE]

Yes it is the same fish. There aren’t many other wrasses in the tank- just a smaller 2” yellow coris. It’s always possible that one of the tangs didn’t take a liking to it unfortunately. When I get home and the lights are on, I will check again. It’s possible the dorsal looks like that just because it is not extended.

It definitely arrived looking great and ate the same day. I will try putting up some mirrors to distract the tangs. I have other tanks it could potentially go in, but they are rimless and a wrasse could easily jump. Hoping for the best until I get home and see about isolating it.

YOS4Jl8.jpg

ICz2qJ3.jpg

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes it is the same fish. There aren’t many other wrasses in the tank- just a smaller 2” yellow coris. It’s always possible that one of the tangs didn’t take a liking to it unfortunately. When I get home and the lights are on, I will check again. It’s possible the dorsal looks like that just because it is not extended.

It definitely arrived looking great and ate the same day. I will try putting up some mirrors to distract the tangs. I have other tanks it could potentially go in, but they are rimless and a wrasse could easily jump. Hoping for the best until I get home and see about isolating it.

YOS4Jl8.jpg

ICz2qJ3.jpg

[/QUOTE]
When my wrasse got stressed they Would lay on the sand bed and the tangs would peck at them. Most of the time my tangs weren’t the ones that stressed them out it was other wrasse.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my wrasse got stressed they Would lay on the sand bed and the tangs would peck at them. Most of the time my tangs weren’t the ones that stressed them out it was other wrasse.

Saw every fish but that guy during feeding tonight. Could be hiding in the rocks or could be eaten :(

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw every fish but that guy during feeding tonight. Could be hiding in the rocks or could be eaten :(
I hope he went hiding and in a few days he recovers and comes out for food.
I had a lineatus lay on the sand bed and not eat for 3 weeks but would go to the rocks at night. 4th week he ate some and improved. He had what looked like spinal injury. Wrasse jump hard when chased.Month later he is doing good so don’t lose hope.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several weeks go I posted I had just added a Chaoti wrasse to my tank, sadly I found it dead this morning, i tried virtually every food known to man to get it to eat, pods, cyclopese, worms, clam, fish eggs, mysis, brine, chopped mussel all soaked in selcon and garlic.. But it wouldn’t eat anything... Im wondering if there’s anything I missed or is this species just one that we really should stop trying to keep @evolved

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back