The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does it needs to "has a purpose"? Looking good isn't enough?
Melanurus is a great wrasse, but there are plenty of Fairy and Flasher that are out of this word as a looker.
Your wife has not seen this orange fish I am sure
6836BEC6-9C70-4F1E-8255-A23E743609E7.jpeg

Orion I like dual purpose fish. Doesn't have to have a purpose just nice. What kind of flasher is this ? The reason she doesnt want more is we have two 2 clowns. So looking for others colors.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever had a cleaner wrasse go rogue? mines just gone mental and killed one of my Feminus wrasse, I watched it swim at full speed straight into her.... never seen anything like it... ive had this cleaner for years and it’s been ok upto now.... how on earth do you catch a cleaner wrasse in a full reef?? I’ve got a couple of nets in the tank to try and protect my remaining Fem or catch it, just in case it goes mental for that one....

Last edited:

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever had a cleaner wrasse go rogue? mines just gone mental and killed one of my Feminus wrasse, I watched it swim at full speed straight into in.... never seen anything like it... ive had this cleaner for years and it’s been ok upto now.... how on earth do you catch a cleaner wrasse in a full reef?? I’ve got a couple of nets in the tank to try and protect my remaining Fem or catch it, just in case it goes mental for that one....
Are you sure it couldnt be a juvenile sabertooth fang blenny, nevermind if youve had it for years sorry forgot that bit dont think it would be then
Screenshot_20200323-161703_Chrome.jpg

Actually i think they stay like that there whole life after reading some articles

Last edited:

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caught a video of my pencil wrasse flashing, tried using a mirror to see if the flasher wrasse would colour up and flash, but that didn't happen, so ive removed it.
Sorry the quality is bad for some reason when i upload to youtube it goes really bad quality

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it couldnt be a juvenile sabertooth fang blenny, nevermind if youve had it for years sorry forgot that bit dont think it would be then
Screenshot_20200323-161703_Chrome.jpg

Actually i think they stay like that there whole life after reading some articles
That’s exactly what it is.... Thankyou, i must have had it over 5 years and was sold as a cleaner wrasse...

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you catch him before any more destruction, sorry he killed your femininus wrasse
thankyou, it’s strange how he’s suddenly gone mad, and im so annoyed at myself for not researching better when I bought it... just looking at pictures of blue streak cleaner and it is so similar, I’m not 100% certain, either way its gone mad....

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20200323-182446_Google.jpg

Theres a good comparison photo if it helps, it seems to be the main difference is the position of the mouth, in the blenny its underneath the snout while in the wrasse the mouth is aligned with the snout

Screenshot_20200323-182403_Google.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caught a video of my pencil wrasse flashing, tried using a mirror to see if the flasher wrasse would colour up and flash, but that didn't happen, so ive removed it.
Sorry the quality is bad for some reason when i upload to youtube it goes really bad quality

Beautiful! What other wrasses do you have? What size tank. I would love one but afraid I have too many boisterous wrasses.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! What other wrasses do you have? What size tank. I would love one but afraid I have too many boisterous wrasses.
Thank you, Its a red sea reefer 350 so about 70 gallons, i also have a blue star leopard (macropharyngodon bipartitus) and a linespot flasher wrasse (paracheilinius lineopunctatus), none of the other wrasses bother him however the leopard wrasse kept him hiding in the rockwork for a few weeks after he was introduced but its all ok now.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you introduced a small group they might do better with boisterous fish, to disperse the agression, but cant say for certain

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what it is.... Thankyou, i must have had it over 5 years and was sold as a cleaner wrasse...
The way to tell.is the mouth of the false cleaner or saber tooth wrasse is under slung a bit like a sharks mouth. I have only ever seen one in an LFS before many years ago. When I pointed it out to the owner he looked at me if I was mad.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20200323-182446_Google.jpg

Theres a good comparison photo if it helps, it seems to be the main difference is the position of the mouth, in the blenny its underneath the snout while in the wrasse the mouth is aligned with the snout

Screenshot_20200323-182403_Google.jpg
Hey thanks for this, good shout on the mouth being different I hadn’t spotted that, on mine the mouth is definatly on the front of the snout, which would suggest its labroidies...

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Atoll A terrible photo, but the mouth is defiantly on the end of the snout...
B92F41F7-7233-42E0-A4DE-F5D75FD2EBDB.jpeg
In which case you should have a true cleaner. With the false the fish goes to it to be cleaned or the wrasse approaches as if to clean the fish. Then it takes a quick nip at the fish taking a scale or small part of the fishes body and shoots off. I witnessed this happen in the LFS I spotted one in many years ago

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back