The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Therich84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be a good wrasse for a 50 gal cube with a clownfish pair and a coral beauty?

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if i came across rude in that post at all, sometimes dont realise until after i post it i may come across off lol.
Halichoeres iridis/radiant wrasse is my favoruite of that genus, though is a bit touchy on occasion
Halichoeres melasmopomus/earmuff wrasse
Halichoeres melanurus
Halichoeres cosmetus
Cirrhilabrus lunatus and their complex including the pintail, brunneus and johnsons fairy wrasses being the more common members
Cirrhilabrus rhombiodalis and members of its complex like the lineatus and pink.margon fairy wrasses
All flasher wrasses are good choices, though the eightline is known to be somewhat more agressive to other planktonivores.
No need to apologize.. it’s hard to express tone in text messages, emails or blog posts lol..

can you provide common names instead of the scientific genus to the above listed wrasses? It going to be hard explaining to my LFS that I want a fish I can’t even spell let alone pronounce..

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to apologize.. it’s hard to express tone in text messages, emails or blog posts lol..

can you provide common names instead of the scientific genus to the above listed wrasses? It going to be hard explaining to my LFS that I want a fish I can’t even spell let alone pronounce..
Generally common names consist of the species part of the latin name followed by wrasse eg halichoeres cosmetus is the cosmetus wrasse or halichoeres melanurus being the melanurus wrasse.
In the world of wrasses it may be better to try and learn latin names as christmas wrasse (a common name) covers about 10 different species and eightline wrasse can mean the eightline flasher wrasse (a more aggressive flasher wrasse species supposedly similair to fairy wrasse agression, so not extremely agressive but more so than other flashers) but also a different species which is terribly aggressive wrasse killer related to the sixline, and theres many more confusions.
Cirrhilabrus = fairy wrasse so cirrhilabrus brunneus is the brunneus fairy wrasse, cirrhilabrus isosceles is the pintail fairy wrasse, cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis is the (golden) rhomboid fairy.
Paracheilinus =flasher wrasse
Pseudocheilinius = six line wrasse family (recommended family to avoid when mixing wrasses )
Pseudocheiliniops ataenia (a single species genus)= pinkstreak wrasse
Wetmorella = the possum wrasses
Macropharyngodon= leopard wrasses
Anampses= tamarin wrasses
Pseudjuloides = pencil wrasses
Halichoeres doesnt really have a common name associated with it
So basically just put what ever latin species name i gave you and put wrasse after it unless theres a common name associated with the genus name and add it before the wrasse bit eg macropharyngodon geoffroy is the geoffroys leopard wrasse.
Hope that helps.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.. the more common names are what the LFS sells the fish it’s tough to go to a new here and say... I’m looking for this scientific named wrasse lol...
That may be true, but on the flip side if you go ask them for a "Christmas wrasse" you might get any one of 5 different species - and those 5 species are NOT interchangeable.
Common names are not common - they vary based on regions and cultures. Be very careful with them.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20200316-154715_Gallery.jpg

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would high temperatures around 79-80 cause my lennardi to hide in the sand more?

It is not being chased at all and eats great whenever it comes out. But the past 2 days, it has barely came out besides when I was basting the sand to get detrius then he swims around for a little while eating, etc before diving back in the sand.

could high temps 79-80 cause this?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would high temperatures around 79-80 cause my lennardi to hide in the sand more?

It is not being chased at all and eats great whenever it comes out. But the past 2 days, it has barely came out besides when I was basting the sand to get detrius then he swims around for a little while eating, etc before diving back in the sand.

could high temps 79-80 cause this?
I think the conventional wisdom on these wrasse is cool temperature. No more than 76F, due to where they come from. Take this with a grain of salt since I am too tight wadded to spend 500.00 on a wrasse that I maybe not able to keep alive long term.

Last edited:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It very well could; that's considerably warmer than the waters they're collected from.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back