The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everybody see every pictures that you posted. IMO, repost the same picture is fine or re attached it or link to it.
I would love for you to post a link to it. I saw the picture of the CF Lineatus that @alton posted. I really like the fish.

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to get a better picture. The black fins have bright blue in them that you see when it flashes but it's quite chilled and doesn't flash all that often!

Lunatus C F.jpg

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefltx,
What species is your beautiful wrasse? H. hortulanus? A. lennardi? How big is he? Do they get anywhere near 12 inches? I would love to see a clear picture of him.

It’s A. Lennardi. I got it when it was around 3inches, now it’s about maybe 4 inches?

I guess they can get big, but I’m not sure how long it takes them to get to that size. I had it for 2yrs now. I’ll try to get some clear pics later.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone keep the nursalim flashers that were available a while ago here, sorry if thats been posted recently just making my way through this thread still lol

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after briefly skimming thru 586 pages of wrasse suggestions I wanted to ask a general question based around my tank, planned stocking list, and introduction strategy..

I have a bare bottom 125g 6’ long and the goal is to have a mixed tank with a bunch of fish, Sps and Lps as primary focus.

currently in QT:
2 clowns
2 PJ cardinas
1 golden Midas blenny
1 purple tang
1 yellow tang

I would like to add:
1 blue throat trigger
1 swallow tail angelfish
1 tomini or kole eye tang
1 convict tang
3-5 Anthias or blue/green chromis for movement

and finalllly some beautiful wrasses! At first I was set on the 6line for it’s utility purpose until I came across this thread and learned they were very territorial. My LFS has a Lubbock that caught my eye.

many suggestions?!

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For utility a lot of the halichoeres species are good however they need a sand bed to sleep in (iridis ,chryus , melasmopomus, lecoxanthus, melanurus complex in general.
Possum and pink streaked wrasses are good for pest control too but wont be terribly effective in a tank that size, however will still help (dont need sand beds)
For prettyness i like the brunneus, lunatus, pintail, rhomboid fairys, and all flashers are pretty in my opinion lol.
Just depends on personal preference, the best thing to do is go research on live aquaria through their wrasses and then do deeper research into different species and conplexes to find whats best for your taste and tank and then ask here to be sure

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For utility a lot of the halichoeres species are good however they need a sand bed to sleep in (iridis ,chryus , melasmopomus, lecoxanthus, melanurus complex in general.
Possum and pink streaked wrasses are good for pest control too but wont be terribly effective in a tank that size, however will still help (dont need sand beds)
For prettyness i like the brunneus, lunatus, pintail, rhomboid fairys, and all flashers are pretty in my opinion lol.
Just depends on personal preference, the best thing to do is go research on live aquaria through their wrasses and then do deeper research into different species and conplexes to find whats best for your taste and tank and then ask here to be sure
All good points..
Is there a few you would recommend I start reading up on?

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good points..
Is there a few you would recommend I start reading up on?
Sorry if i came across rude in that post at all, sometimes dont realise until after i post it i may come across off lol.
Halichoeres iridis/radiant wrasse is my favoruite of that genus, though is a bit touchy on occasion
Halichoeres melasmopomus/earmuff wrasse
Halichoeres melanurus
Halichoeres cosmetus
Cirrhilabrus lunatus and their complex including the pintail, brunneus and johnsons fairy wrasses being the more common members
Cirrhilabrus rhombiodalis and members of its complex like the lineatus and pink.margon fairy wrasses
All flasher wrasses are good choices, though the eightline is known to be somewhat more agressive to other planktonivores.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is true that most wrasse for pest control require sand bed. Perhaps set up a container with sand in it for them and hide it behind the rock in the back, or set up a container sand bed for them. Difficult to set up a partial sand bed unless you are deliberate doing it when you set up the system. Me, I like sand bed in my reef tank so I have no problem.
Fairy and Flasher wrasses does not need a sand bed and they are very beautiful. They are often short live, life span of perhaps 5-7 years.
@evolved have an article on reef safe wrasse that you may want to look at, then expanded to do search on species that you are interested in.
Good luck

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is true that most wrasse for pest control require sand bed. Perhaps set up a container with sand in it for them and hide it behind the rock in the back, or set up a container sand bed for them. Difficult to set up a partial sand bed unless you are deliberate doing it when you set up the system. Me, I like sand bed in my reef tank so I have no problem.
Fairy and Flasher wrasses does not need a sand bed and they are very beautiful. They are often short live, life span of perhaps 5-7 years.
@evolved have an article on reef safe wrasse that you may want to look at, then expanded to do search on species that you are interested in.
Good luck
Thank you.. the more common names are what the LFS sells the fish it’s tough to go to a new here and say... I’m looking for this scientific named wrasse lol.. I’m going to check out that post u provided and drill down to a few fairy/flasher wrasses and post for feedback thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back