The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thank you both! I am lowering the temperature to 77 and I will see if that makes a difference.

But you have heard of it hiding in the sand or for that matter any wrasse if the water is too warm for their liking?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LiveAquaria has this marked as semi-aggressive, would you agree @evolved ?

Looks like a barracuda so I would not be surprised :D

PqcXnwU.png

So many cool ones today! Nice @LiveAquaria!

m1XPPKC.png

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LiveAquaria has this marked as semi-aggressive, would you agree @evolved ?

Looks like a barracuda so I would not be surprised :D
I don't have any direct experience with the oxycheilinus genus, but they are known to sometimes be a bit bold. Keeping them with smaller, timid fish could be bad...
Motile inverts will be destroyed. :)

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know all wrasses and hogfish can jump, but which ones from your experience are relatively calmer and less prone to jumping? It’s confirmed I’ll be getting a 32”x22”x24” tank with a mesh top cover. I want a Wrasse / Hogfish that can live long (so not Fairy or Flasher Wrasses) and can get along with my Ocellaris pair that I plan to add as my first fish. I’ll only be keeping soft corals too and my sand bed will be 2”-2.5” thick.

I’ve also read that I can rework the overflow for even more security?

What would you recommend for my mesh tank cover and the overflow?

Would it be good to add the third fish 2 weeks after I introduce my clowns (and some soft corals along with them)?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone. From your experience, are any members of the wrasses / hogfish less likely to jump compared to the others? I’m very hesitant about getting a Fairy / Flasher wrasse because of their tendency to become Olympic high jumpers.

How many of you have kept a wrasse or hogfish nearing / at 10 years or more? What species?

I love this family of fish because of their shape and their colors, but it’s their longevity and tendency to jump (higher likelihood than other fish) that worry me.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone. From your experience, are any members of the wrasses / hogfish less likely to jump compared to the others? I’m very hesitant about getting a Fairy / Flasher wrasse because of their tendency to become Olympic high jumpers.

How many of you have kept a wrasse or hogfish nearing / at 10 years or more? What species?

I love this family of fish because of their shape and their colors, but it’s their longevity and tendency to jump (higher likelihood than other fish) that worry me.
Many fish jump. The only real way to protect against carpet surfers is to have a better top. I have 6 wrasse and the only way I am going to keep them is with my netted top. Without you are courting fish loss and not just wrasse.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I very much intend to get the best top possible, and I heard I can add an extra screen against jumping by doing work to my overflow (though not sure how that works). The reason I’m asking is because from what I’ve read Wrasses (and maybe Hogfish) are perhaps the most likely to jump compared to most other fish.

That’s why I want to know whether there are safer bets among the wrasses and Hogfish.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only had my Lubbock's successfully jump, and it was while I was cleaning the tank... He got spooked. Since I was right there I was able to put him back quickly and no harm done.

My flashers hide for the most part while my hand is in the tank, so not an issue, but they DO jump occasionally and I can see the salt residue on the mesh top from the splash.

I think your plan to have a good top will allow you to have success. I chose to build mine and used very fine mesh, I had concerns 1/4" spacing might allow injury.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Beau_B What about a completely holeless / gapless cover? In that case, would they easily injure themselves? My tank is 24” tall.

What about the overflow? Should work be done on that too?

I wonder if they’re far less likely to jump if kept in a peaceful tank, and whether some species (including Hogfish) are less prone to carpet surfing / jumping than others.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Beau_B What about a completely holeless / gapless cover? In that case, would they easily injure themselves? My tank is 24” tall.

What about the overflow? Should work be done on that too?

I wonder if they’re far less likely to jump if kept in a peaceful tank, and whether some species (including Hogfish) are less prone to carpet surfing / jumping than others.

I think you're over thinking it. Cover the tank, don't leave any large openings. My cover is open the width of the wavemaker cords (1/4") and it has yet to be an issue.

My tank is peaceful... The Bangai cardinal is the most aggressive! I think the "jumps" are mostly a feed response, wrasses thinking they see a pellet or edible floating.

E8841BF3-8F1A-4A93-9497-7532632361BD.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cut a pieces of wood correct length and width and block that opening in the pictures above or else a wrasse will get through it. They don't randomly jump up all the time. Many of the looks for way out of the tank and will jump through that crack.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Would high temperatures around 79-80 cause my lennardi to hide in the sand more?

It is not being chased at all and eats great whenever it comes out. But the past 2 days, it has barely came out besides when I was basting the sand to get detrius then he swims around for a little while eating, etc before diving back in the sand.

could high temps 79-80 cause this?

Following up on this. I lowered my tank temp to 77 last night, the wrasse has not been out of the sand at all (at least from what ive seen). Now being at home, I am looking at the tank from 10am till 10pm so unless it is coming out in the middle of the night it hasnt came out in 2 days now. I am starting to get worried.

I blow almost all my sand daily after all the fish are up (I have done this for months just to keep it very very white) but I also have not blown up the lennardi which makes me worried even more.

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help finding another wrasse for my mixed reef 120.

My wife doesn't want any orange fish in this tank. I am looking for another one in addition to these 2.

H. melanurus
P. cyaneus

Considering - one of these: T.trilobatum, C. lyukyuensis, C. lubbocki

I have a sand bed and covered tank. Looking for something bright and not above $150. Don't want a fish that will go after CUC. My puffer does enough damage. Would like a fish that has a purpose, something that will keep Vertimids or other pest at bay. I QT, but Just in case....

Already in the tank:
Foxface rabbit fish
Lawnmower blenny
valentini puffer fish
2 clowns

Planned:
Kole eyed tang
Purple Tang or Powder brown tang
after a year or more - mandarin goby

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does it needs to "has a purpose"? Looking good isn't enough?
Melanurus is a great wrasse, but there are plenty of Fairy and Flasher that are out of this word as a looker.
Your wife has not seen this orange fish I am sure
6836BEC6-9C70-4F1E-8255-A23E743609E7.jpeg

Back