The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1111111111111111 - yes, I’m VERY happy about this new fishy friend. Been waiting a long time to acquire one
Hi All,

I’ve noticed an issue with this P. attenuatus from @NYAquatic and I’m hoping that I can get your help before it snowballs into something bigger. On Day 1 (date of delivery), it hid in the rocks for most of the day but I didn’t see any other fish bothering it. On Day 2, it finally swam around the tank but during feeding time, it only ate a small amount of Hikari frozen mysis, even though I fed it a mixture of regular mysis with PE mysis (supplemented by Garlic Guard and Selcon). Later on in Day 2, it disappeared once again into the rocks and that’s around 4pm. On Day 3, I noticed that it coughed up some white stuff (presumably mysis from Day 2?) and during feeding time, it ignored the mixture of frozen mysis and blood worms. I’ve emailed NYA whether he’d QT’ed it; while waiting for a response, I’ve started the de-worming process. Am I being overly cautious or is this normal behavior for fairy/flasher wrasses?

C8161D57-3C35-4B6A-8237-1EC030756F10.jpeg

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white stuff was likely his mucus cocoon.

Being skittish for the first few days is normal.

NYA doesn't qt fish.

What other fish are in the tank?
The male Diamond Tail currently shares my 250-gallon with female flame wrasse, male rhomboid wrasse, and a subadult pair of C. africanus. So it’s Day 4 (72 hours since delivery), and during feeding today, I’ve witnessed it take a few bites of Hikari mysis but it then spat them out. Again, I’ve supplemented its food with Garlic Guard and Selcon. The other wrasses started eating within 24-48 hrs of being introduced into the Display Tank and even though the Diamond Tail’s added last, no one bothered it at all. The fact that it’s at least tasting food but spitting it out, is that still considered hopeful or a symptom of something unpleasant? Aside from it being a picky eater, it appears to be doing fine; in fact, it flashes anytime another wrasse gets too close.

Last edited:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
during feeding today, I’ve witnessed it take a few bites of Hikari mysis but it then spat them out.
A bit concerning; certainly not typical.
Again, I’ve supplemented its food with Garlic Guard and Selcon.
But I'd try not adding either of those and see if it makes a difference. Could well be just those flavors which are unnatural.

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit concerning; certainly not typical.

But I'd try not adding either of those and see if it makes a difference. Could well be just those flavors which are unnatural.
Well, I’ve forgone with using garlic and Selcon for today’s feeding and it still spat them out. According to @NYAquatic , it’s been eating Hikari mysis without issues before. I don’t know what to do at this point.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with frozen pods on my other leopard and he graduated to anything recently. Hopefully the same truck will apply. This guy is a good size

richw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had any joy with a lennardi or the holy grail wrasse I saw a hg in a Lfs but didn’t look quite as impressive as in some of the pictures I googled, on the other hand lennardi males look amazing I know it’s personal preference, I prefer the lineatus to a rhomboid similar looking fish but the rhomboid with nearly triple the price tag on a supermale here in the U.K !

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just hopped on the mysis train. It’s a start!
Seems for what I have seen they like small food and slowly will adapt to other foods that are bigger and more different then the Wild.
If your tank have pods for it to fill in between you feeding will help I believe.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Yellow Coris the best pest eater and most invert friendly wrasse out of the Halichoeres?

A Melanurus is very tempting and I like its colors better than the Yellow Coris (I like the YC too) but heard they’re more of a mixed bag regarding compatibility with inverts.

Also are Fairy Wrasses also pest eaters or are they more open water planktivores?

Bump. I think these got missed.

"Is the Yellow Coris the best pest eater and most invert friendly wrasse out of the Halichoeres?"
All will be great pest eaters. Yellow 'coris' and sister H. luecoxanthus are arguably the most peaceful.

"Also are Fairy Wrasses also pest eaters or are they more open water planktivores?"

Right. Fairy wrasses are water column feeders. Don't expect work from them. Their utility is that they are pretty.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would a blueside fairy wrasse and solon fairy wrasse and red margin fairy get along? 150g tank

The blue side and solon are in the same complex, so that worries me a little. Is the tank big enough for them to coexist? We'll see what the experts think.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue side and solon are in the same complex, so that worries me a little. Is the tank big enough for them to coexist? We'll see what the experts think.
It's a 6 foot long tank 72x18x28 and the blueside Fairy is nearly done with QT I had a yellow coris die in QT didnt ship well so I was looking for other wrasses I could get

I may get another yellow coris and maybe a flasher this is my first attempt at quaratining wrasses

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back