The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing Diamond Tail Flasher.
I lost the male of my Diamond Tail Flasher om 9/3/2020, he was last seen on the evening of 9/2/2020 pestering my female. They spawned but that was the last time I saw him. My though was that in his jubilation, he must got a bit too close to my many carpets. These carpets are having expensive meals, more expensive then my dinner for sure.
Anyway, I have been taken pictures of my female Diamond Tail every few days. Yesterday, I notice clearly that the 10th dorsal ray started to elongated, signaling clear sex change of my Female fish.
4/4/2020
P attenuatus2020040401B.jpg

P attenuatus2020040404S.jpg

4/18/2020
P attenuatus2020041801S.jpg

4/26/2020
P attenuatus2020082601Female.jpg

9/15/2020
P attenuatus2020091501.jpg

9/17/2020
P attenuatus2020091702.jpg

9/24/2020
P attenuatus2020092401.jpg

9/28/2020
P attenuatus2020092802.jpg

joejstutes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I guess I can call it a rookie mistake but I have two wrasses coming in tomorrow one being a pintail and the other being the crescent wrasse. Has anyone ever kept these two together successfully? I have a 90 gallon tank.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so I guess I can call it a rookie mistake but I have two wrasses coming in tomorrow one being a pintail and the other being the crescent wrasse. Has anyone ever kept these two together successfully? I have a 90 gallon tank.
Do you have other wrasse in the tank? If they are added at the same time they could be fine especially if they are smaller juveniles. They are both on the more passive side for Cirrhilabrus. I've seen them together in tanks but it could be crap shoot. If you have acclimation box with a divider I would try that first to see if they have any aggression toward each other.

joejstutes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have other wrasse in the tank? If they are added at the same time they could be fine especially if they are smaller juveniles. They are both on the more passive side for Cirrhilabrus. I've seen them together in tanks but it could be crap shoot. If you have acclimation box with a divider I would try that first to see if they have any aggression toward each other.
One is bigger than the other but right now it looks like my hawkfish may be the bully. But I will definitely look into getting an acclimation box. Thanks

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice on when to add my new Radiant wrasse. He's been in QT 5 weeks and is doing great He has completed copper (Copper Power) and will soon be through with deworming.

It may be hard to tell from the video but he's only 1.75" at the most. He's eating 3/4 of a cube of frozen every day in 8-10 feedings per day. My question is should I add him soon as my normal routine would be or because of his extremely small size keep him in the observation tank for a few months and let him grow?

His tank mates will be 6 fairy wrasses (lineatus, jordani, isocoles, roseafacia, exquisitus, laboutei), 2 flashers, 1 anampses (chrysocephalus), 1 leopard (Potter's), and another Halichoeres....a 6" Ear Muff that's a big teddy bear. Never bothers any fish at all. Other fish include two tangs, a black cap basslet and 3 zebra barred gobies.

What do the experts think?

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Need some advice on when to add my new Radiant wrasse. He's been in QT 5 weeks and is doing great He has completed copper (Copper Power) and will soon be through with deworming.

It may be hard to tell from the video but he's only 1.75" at the most. He's eating 3/4 of a cube of frozen every day in 8-10 feedings per day. My question is should I add him soon as my normal routine would be or because of his extremely small size keep him in the observation tank for a few months and let him grow?

His tank mates will be 6 fairy wrasses (lineatus, jordani, isocoles, roseafacia, exquisitus, laboutei), 2 flashers, 1 anampses (chrysocephalus), 1 leopard (Potter's), and another Halichoeres....a 6" Ear Muff that's a big teddy bear. Never bothers any fish at all. Other fish include two tangs, a black cap basslet and 3 zebra barred gobies.

Hey David - I hope all is well.

You plan to use acclimation box?

Is he a lazy eater or does he go after it? If he goes after it I would just put him in there. I bet he will be fine.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Is he a lazy eater or does he go after it? If he goes after it I would just put him in there. I bet he will be fine.

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing Diamond Tail Flasher.
I lost the male of my Diamond Tail Flasher om 9/3/2020, he was last seen on the evening of 9/2/2020 pestering my female. They spawned but that was the last time I saw him. My though was that in his jubilation, he must got a bit too close to my many carpets. These carpets are having expensive meals, more expensive then my dinner for sure.
Anyway, I have been taken pictures of my female Diamond Tail every few days. Yesterday, I notice clearly that the 10th dorsal ray started to elongated, signaling clear sex change of my Female fish.
4/4/2020
P attenuatus2020040401B.jpg

P attenuatus2020040404S.jpg

4/18/2020
P attenuatus2020041801S.jpg

4/26/2020
P attenuatus2020082601Female.jpg

9/15/2020
P attenuatus2020091501.jpg

9/17/2020
P attenuatus2020091702.jpg

9/24/2020
P attenuatus2020092401.jpg

9/28/2020
P attenuatus2020092802.jpg
I definitely want a diamond flasher. That'll be my next after my flame wrasse.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh, he's a very aggressive eater...lightening fast. I always use my acclimation box. I think he will compete for food just fine. He's just so small I don't know if he will be intimidated in the feeding frenzy that goes on when food hits the water or if one of the other wrasses may be a problem (I guess the acclimation box will decide that).

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You should probably pack all of your other wrasses up and send them to me to make sure he doesn't have to compete for food. ;-)

If you have sand , he may not come out for a few days or so but if it's eating I'd say it would be just fine. I always use an acclamation box, after QT, to get the fish used to everything before releasing them into my display. I feel like that helps too. I you have a larger tank, which I'm assuming you do, with that collection, you may have to direct some food in his area for the first couple weeks. I had to do that with my tiny pintail.

You could always leave him in Qt to grow too. It never hurts. It also helps shy eaters get used to aquarium life before getting blasted with a bunch of aggressive eaters.

Good luck with the little guy.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting little Lubbock's wrasse . . . Is this guy a hybrid / intergrade between the two "types" of Lubbock's?

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG

Both photos are of the same fish - the striping seems to show better on the fish's right side.

~B.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know the sex of Potters In above picture. Also what to look for when the change starts. I think female but the orange is showing on the body more and is brighter.
Here are pictures of my Male and female Potter Leopards
Female
potterwrasse2018062214-jpg.774081

Male:
PotterLeopard2019012701.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Your documentation is awesome. What do you use for a camera and lens. Beautiful photos
Thanks.
Sometime I use my cell phone but most of the time I use my Olympus E-M5 Mark 2. The lens I most often use is Olympus 12-40 mm 1:2.8 PRO. Because the sensor for this camera is 1/2 size, the lens equivalent focal distance 24-80 mm.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Has anyone had trouble keeping ruby longfin fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubeus)? I lost two in the last two weeks. The first one had flukes and popeye (my bad for not quarantining). I lost the second one within 24 hours of me getting the fish and introducing it to QT. The fish was active and eating well at the store.

I love this fish so much, but can't keep them alive. I am even upgrading to give them a better home (I currently have a 30g, which is small for them). What can I do better?

My QT is a 10g with a lot of PVC joints and elbows and an airstone. I introduce them to hyposalinity (1.009 over 2 days) and dose prazipro (a little under the recommended 2.5 mg dose). I keep them in there for 7 days (20% water changes every 3 days to avoid ammonia build-up). My yellow coris wrasse went through the QT just fine and is doing well in my DT, so is the chalk bass.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had trouble keeping ruby longfin fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubeus)? I lost two in the last two weeks. The first one had flukes and popeye (my bad for not quarantining). I lost the second one within 24 hours of me getting the fish and introducing it to QT. The fish was active and eating well at the store.

I love this fish so much, but can't keep them alive. I am even upgrading to give them a better home (I currently have a 30g, which is small for them). What can I do better?

My QT is a 10g with a lot of PVC joints and elbows and an airstone. I introduce them to hyposalinity (1.009 over 2 days) and dose prazipro (a little under the recommended 2.5 mg dose). I keep them in there for 7 days (20% water changes every 3 days to avoid ammonia build-up). My yellow coris wrasse went through the QT just fine and is doing well in my DT, so is the chalk bass.
They should not be hard to keep. Several years ago, I had mine for 6 months or so before he just died of , I think old age. He was great in the AM but when I got home that evening he were dead, fairly fat and without a wound on his body. He was a large full grown fish so I think he may have died of old age. Then I found and fell in love with C naokoae which are much more beautiful, IMO
NaokoFairy2020051501.jpg
NaokoFairy2020081101.jpg
NaokoFairy2020081102.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be dicey - those two are very closely related. Sometime they can coexist okay, but sometimes they'll just hate another.

I'd add it without hesitation - I don't see anything that would really cause you issue there.
Interesting little Lubbock's wrasse . . . Is this guy a hybrid / intergrade between the two "types" of Lubbock's?

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG

Both photos are of the same fish - the striping seems to show better on the fish's right side.

~B.
Nah, just in the normal realm of variation.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
They should not be hard to keep. Several years ago, I had mine for 6 months or so before he just died of , I think old age. He was great in the AM but when I got home that evening he were dead, fairly fat and without a wound on his body. He was a large full grown fish so I think he may have died of old age. Then I found and fell in love with C naokoae which are much more beautiful, IMO
NaokoFairy2020051501.jpg
NaokoFairy2020081101.jpg
NaokoFairy2020081102.jpg
They have a lot more color. Very pretty fish. Maybe one day after my tank upgrade.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the difference between a yellow coris wrasse and a yellow and purple coris wrasse?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back