The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone in here with a Radiant Wrasse have issues keeping them with Nassarius snails? I have quite a few Nassarius snails and I'm looking at adding a Radiant to the tank.

My snails have nothing to fear from my radiant. They are one of the smaller Halichoeres and are not prone to be snail predators. Pods on the other hand are relentlessly hunted by mine. Great fish, highly recommend for a reef tank.

Last edited:

cimulation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My radiant pays zero attention to my snails. Radiants are more invert friendly, but no guarantee it won’t eat your snails. The small risk is totally worth it to have a radiant.
My snails have nothing to fear from my radiant. They are one of the smaller Halichoeres and are not prone to be snail predators. Pods on the other hand are relentless my hunted by mine. Great fish, highly recommend for a reef tank.
Thanks! My only worry are my Nassarius snails, since they're pretty small.

Rudefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some expert advise. My tank is 280g and I have a Yellow Candy Hogfish in there since April 2019. Now I want to add 4 leopard wrasse to said tank and need to know what are my chances of adding the wrasse's with success?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some expert advise. My tank is 280g and I have a Yellow Candy Hogfish in there since April 2019. Now I want to add 4 leopard wrasse to said tank and need to know what are my chances of adding the wrasse's with success?
Yellow candy hogfish become aggressive towards peaceful fish as they mature and since yours has been established for 2 years I wouldn't try it; leopard wrasses don't handle stress well. I would consider rehoming the hogfish if you want leopards or look into some tougher wrasses.

Rudefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow candy hogfish become aggressive towards peaceful fish as they mature and since yours has been established for 2 years I wouldn't try it; leopard wrasses don't handle stress well. I would consider rehoming the hogfish if you want leopards or look into some tougher wrasses.
I was affraid that would have been the response. I have placed a fish trap in the tank now for the past 2 weeks and while other fish go in and sometimes gets trap, the hogfish just cruise by without looking in. I think it may be impossible to get it out unless I need to be a little more patient. Do you have any advise for getting it out?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was affraid that would have been the response. I have placed a fish trap in the tank now for the past 2 weeks and while other fish go in and sometimes gets trap, the hogfish just cruise by without looking in. I think it may be impossible to get it out unless I need to be a little more patient. Do you have any advise for getting it out?
I've had to pull my share of bullies out of tanks over the years. What works for me when it comes to wrasses is using an XL aquarium net and just let it hang in the tank for a day to let the fish get used to it. Don't feed your fish that day until you're ready to catch your target. Then squirt a little bit of mysis into the tank close to the net, add little amounts closer and closer to the net to draw your fish towards it. Once my target wrasse is swimming near the net I squirt a good amount of mysis making sure it flows right into the net. Wrasse usually chase the food in the flow allowing you to quickly scoop it (and possibly others by accident) out with the XL net. (I hope this makes sense)

Rudefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had to pull my share of bullies out of tanks over the years. What works for me when it comes to wrasses is using an XL aquarium net and just let it hang in the tank for a day to let the fish get used to it. Don't feed your fish that day until you're ready to catch your target. Then squirt a little bit of mysis into the tank close to the net, add little amounts closer and closer to the net to draw your fish towards it. Once my target wrasse is swimming near the net I squirt a good amount of mysis making sure it flows right into the net. Wrasse usually chase the food in the flow allowing you to quickly scoop it (and possibly others by accident) out with the XL net. (I hope this makes sense)
It makes a lot of sense. I will give it a try and report back in a few days. I appreciate you letting me know this technique from your vast experience. Right now I have the wrasses in qt and can move them in a week or two so what you have shared with me is worth trying.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you keep trying the trap, let it see it's reflection in a mirror through the end of the trap.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My radiant hates me lately. He paces Anytime I walk up to the tank he rushes over while flashing me. He will pace in front of me then smash the glass. During this he has times he looks to have a seizure but don’t know if it’s from him going crazy or from smashing off things. I walk away he goes back to normal. Didn’t do it when a friend walked up.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes a lot of sense. I will give it a try and report back in a few days. I appreciate you letting me know this technique from your vast experience. Right now I have the wrasses in qt and can move them in a week or two so what you have shared with me is worth trying.
Which leopards did you end up going with? Any pics? We love seeing them!

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snails have nothing to fear from my radiant. They are one of the smaller Halichoeres and are not prone to be snail predators. Pods on the other hand are relentlessly hunted by mine. Great fish, highly recommend for a reef tank.
Where did you get yours from? Qt?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot agree more
RadiantWrasse2021013101.jpg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My radiant hates me lately. He paces Anytime I walk up to the tank he rushes over while flashing me. He will pace in front of me then smash the glass. During this he has times he looks to have a seizure but don’t know if it’s from him going crazy or from smashing off things. I walk away he goes back to normal. Didn’t do it when a friend walked up.
OMG! My radiant does something similar! She darts to the front of the tank and does a weird twitching spazzy thing against the glass and splashes water when I walk into the room. The first few times I thought what the heck is wrong with her? She’s been doing it for months so I just chalk it up to her being super excited to see me (aka getting fed) LOL!

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OMG! My radiant does something similar! She darts to the front of the tank and does a weird twitching spazzy thing against the glass and splashes water when I walk into the room. The first few times I thought what the heck is wrong with her? She’s been doing it for months so I just chalk it up to her being super excited to see me (aka getting fed) LOL!

This is fish communication for"I am not happy that you have not fed me yet you lazy servant!"

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get yours from? Qt?

Our local club president was in Dallas to pick up an angel he had ordered and the store had 3 radiants. He wanted two and picked up the other for me. They were tiny....no more than 1.5" but all three sailed through QT with zero issues. Mine is now approaching 3" in size. He is a great addition to my tank.
LOL! My yellow tang does the same thing! I don't know what I did to hack him off!

If you look close you can see his scalpels erect! My Radiant is in the video too.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our local club president was in Dallas to pick up an angel he had ordered and the store had 3 radiants. He wanted two and picked up the other for me. They were tiny....no more than 1.5" but all three sailed through QT with zero issues. Mine is now approaching 3" in size. He is a great addition to my tank.

LOL! My yellow tang does the same thing! I don't know what I did to hack him off!

If you look close you can see his scalpels erect! My Radiant is in the video too.

I wonder if the fish can see it's own reflection in the camera lens? If not you get to join the club above!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LOL! He definitely has a beef with you! Your radiant is cute in that video. I also noticed your awesome earmuff!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the salt creep can get bad some weeks down the glass from splashing. My radian doesn’t eat much Or show much interest compared to other wrasse.

This is fish communication for"I am not happy that you have not fed me yet you lazy servant!"
My potters can’t bend to far he is so fat. Such a hog.

The yellow is in love. That’s is flirting at its finest

LOL! He definitely has a beef with you! Your radiant is cute in that video. I also noticed your awesome earmuff!
Nice catch with the earmuff I had to go back and rewatch

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the fish can see it's own reflection in the camera lens? If not you get to join the club above!
He does it every time....camera/phone or not! I think he just doesn't like me. LOL.

My earmuff is one of my favorite fish. I've had him over 5 years. This is him as about a 3" youngster.

Ear Muff 2 (1 of 1).jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back