The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s everyone’s opinion adding a lineatus to a solar wrasse in a 75. Thinking that could be Dicey as they mature.
They can co-exist if the tank is large enough, but I agree I wouldn’t try it in a 75g.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone know the official ID of this guy? My LFS had it labeled as a Male Fairy Wrasse, but they weren’t sure if it was correctly IDed when they got it. They had him for a few months and I kept watching him and finally pulled the trigger. He’s getting along with everyone very week after getting the “business” from my Tomini tang for the first day.

Attachments

• 0151B3E5-E015-4D8D-98CA-75A76C52660D.jpeg
    0151B3E5-E015-4D8D-98CA-75A76C52660D.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 64
  • 0AFB9B80-F4FC-4D57-9592-F981F6B9A25A.jpeg
    0AFB9B80-F4FC-4D57-9592-F981F6B9A25A.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 71

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the official ID of this guy? My LFS had it labeled as a Male Fairy Wrasse, but they weren’t sure if it was correctly IDed when they got it. They had him for a few months and I kept watching him and finally pulled the trigger. He’s getting along with everyone very week after getting the “business” from my Tomini tang for the first day.
Cirrhilabrus ryukyuensis.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will an 8-line flasher, lineatus, and most leopard's turn male if there are no others of the same species?
Flasher and fairy wrasses will transition to male without other flashers and fairies being present. Leopard wrasses can transition without other leopards, but it’s less likely to happen.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a Melanurus wrasse be comfortable in a 46 gallon bowfront mixed reef tank with about 6 other smaller fish, or is the tank too small? Liveaquaria recommends a 50 gallon tank, which is pretty darn close, and I've heard mixed advice from people here and folks at my LFS. A Melanurus is at the top of our wish list, but I also don't want it to be stressed. Sumpless system, about 50 pounds of rock and 40 pounds of sand. Other fish on the stock list include:
pair of occy clowns
vanderbuilt chromis
bicolor blenny
flasher wrasse of some variety
pygmy (cherub) angel

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a Melanurus wrasse be comfortable in a 46 gallon bowfront mixed reef tank with about 6 other smaller fish, or is the tank too small? Liveaquaria recommends a 50 gallon tank, which is pretty darn close, and I've heard mixed advice from people here and folks at my LFS. A Melanurus is at the top of our wish list, but I also don't want it to be stressed. Sumpless system, about 50 pounds of rock and 40 pounds of sand. Other fish on the stock list include:
pair of occy clowns
vanderbuilt chromis
bicolor blenny
flasher wrasse of some variety
pygmy (cherub) angel
Your tank is on the smaller side for a melanurus. Mels get bulky in size and can become bossy in smaller tanks. A good alternative is halichoeres biocellatus (red lined wrasse) they don’t get as big and are also beautiful as males.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is on the smaller side for a melanurus. Mels get bulky in size and can become bossy in smaller tanks. A good alternative is halichoeres biocellatus (red lined wrasse) they don’t get as big and are also beautiful as males.
Exactly the feedback I was looking for. Thank you!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Wrasses can or can’t be kept together?
Great question! Check this thread out. It will give you some answers and is a great place to start if you’re interested in keeping multiple wrasses:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly the feedback I was looking for. Thank you!

Love SaltyT's recommendation. H. biocellatus is a very peaceful and beautiful Halichoeres wrasse that stays pretty small. Another one to consider is an H. irridis. Also beautiful, peaceful and small. I've kept both and love them both.

Bad picture of the radiant.
Acan 21-3-26 (1 of 1).jpg

The H. biocellatus as a terminal phase male.
Gold Rim 2 (1 of 1).jpg

and in QT as a youngster.
H biocellatus3 (1 of 1).jpg

tbonecapone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started a 90 gallon reef tank. Added a Carpenter flasher in this weekend. What other wrasses are reef safe and compatible with this wrasse?

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just started a 90 gallon reef tank. Added a Carpenter flasher in this weekend. What other wrasses are reef safe and compatible with this wrasse?
I would check out this article. Great info and recommendation.

tbonecapone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check out this article. Great info and recommendation.
Ironically, I was reading through this article as you sent this. Very interesting, and a lot of thought out into it. Kudos to the author. I’m sure I’ll have some questions when finished, thank you so much for sending though!

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Just got two female leopards in my tank one being a blue star.

now I just need to work on getting a screen top

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you house any of these wrasses together?
Leopard Wrasse
Yellow Flank Fairy Wrasse
Redbreast Wrasse
Lubbocks fairy wrasse

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you house any of these wrasses together?
Leopard Wrasse
Yellow Flank Fairy Wrasse
Redbreast Wrasse
Lubbocks fairy wrasse

What size is your tank?

If the tank is appropriately sized you could easily keep all of those wrasses except the Redbreast. That fish grows to over a foot in length and is not reef safe. It would not only eat any and probably all inverts in your tank it would likely be aggressive towards any other wrasses.

If your tank is fairly large you could actually keep a lot more wrasses than your list (minus the Redbreast). For example I've kept as many as 16 different wrasses at one time in m 72x24 tank.

I highly recommend reading the article sited above as it's invaluable in planning your wrasse additions and the order they go in to the tank. Here's the link again. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back