The WWC Method to Reef Keeping! - The BRS/WWC System Ep5 | BRStv

What type of hybrid system would you likely follow?

• Cheapest available option.

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Informed balance to features & cost.

Votes: 61 66.3%
  • Best available, who cares about cost.

Votes: 23 25.0%

• Total voters

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy Reefers!

Ok, ok. I bet you've all had enough of me for the past few weeks, so today we're putting Ryan back in his rightful place in the Friday lineup! :p

In this one, we take our first steps down the path to recreating the jaw-dropping tanks @WWC here in our own BRS lobby, by starting with Ryan's breakdown of the WWC Method to reef keeping.

And with that.... Here is Ryan's take on what he saw at WWC and a glimpse into how we plan to create a hybrid system from this and our own collective knowledge at BRS. :D

Last edited:

VoZe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was very informative video and can’t wait till you guys starts making the hybrid systems

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think winners of the 20k system should be limited to those living within 15 minutes of WWC, just to make it easier for them...........lol

RealJauntyDragon-size_restricted.gif

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS

This may sound like a ridiculously dumb question.

When you say 3 or 6 month cycle, what are we talking about? For example, I'm cycling a tank, I added my bacteria source (Fritz Turbo 900) and an ammonia source, 2ppm of ammonia chloride. Theoretically, with a barebottom tank, I can realistically expect this tank to be cycled within 21 days. If I am doing an SPS tank, and BRS/WWC is recommending a 3 month cycle, or better yet, a 6 month cycle, how do you go about that? Keep feeding the tank with ammonia 2x a week for 3 or 6 months?

Also, for flow, I'm planning on mirroring Ecotech's coral lab where 1 mp40 is at 50% reefcrest, the other mp40 on the opposite side is at 60% constant, and they alternate throughout the day. Is that not enough flow for SPS in a 120 gallon, 60" long tank? In a barebottom system, how do you determine the right amount of flow?

This is the start of the questions as this build is coming at the exact right time for me.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS
This may sound like a riiculously dumb question.
When you say 3 or 6 month cycle, what are we talking about? For example, I'm cycling a tank, I added my bacteria source (Fritz Turbo 900) and an ammonia source, 2ppm of ammonia chloride. Theoretically, with a barebottom tank, I can realistically expect this tank to be cycled within 21 days. If I am doing an SPS tank, and BRS/WWC is recommending a 3 month cycle, or better yet, a 6 month cycle, how do you go about that? Keep feeding the tank with ammonia 2x a week for 3 or 6 months?
Also, for flow, I'm planning on mirroring Ecotech's coral lab where 1 mp40 is at 50% reefcrest, the other mp40 on the opposite side is at 60% constant, and they alternate throughout the day. Is that not enough flow for SPS in a 120 gallon, 60" long tank? In a barebottom system, how do you determine the right amount of flow?
This is the start of the questions as this build is coming at the exact right time for me.

This is something that @Ryanbrs is going to dive very deep into in the upcoming videos, but maybe he can chime in here with a preview as to what he means. :)

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something that @Ryanbrs is going to dive very deep into in the upcoming videos, but maybe he can chime in here with a preview as to what he means. :)

Well if he doesn’t want a spoiler out there, I will gladly take answers in a PM

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS

This may sound like a ridiculously dumb question.

We will dive into this deeper in the future but "the cycle" is going beyond just making sure ammonia isn't an issue. To some degree just letting the tank run for a few months will dramatically increase success rates. Not just mortalities but also things as simple as reducing the chances algae or other pests takes over a new tank. I think the logic here is this isn't the first rodeo for people attempting a wall to wall SPS tank so being patient is just part of good practice :)

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ryanbrs & @randyBRS I'm really glad you guys are doing this series. As you guys are probably aware, anytime you guys do a major tank series we see the trickle down in the community. Oftentimes that trickle down comes from reefers who just don't yet have the experience to implement some of these systems.

One of the best part of Video 5 was Ryan's talk about properly setting up LED and how a PAR meter is almost an essential element, why they aren't always the best solution for new reefers...etc.

This series has so much potential for helping educate new/newer members to the hobby. I really hope as you go through the differences between the $$$ setup vs. the $ setup you guys keep that in mind. Good start to a potentially very education and beneficial series to the reefing community as a whole.

Ahogue21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeling the same on the cycling im about to fire up my 100 gallon and while its not anything sps i have the time id like to cycle for a few months just to help with stability

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
U

User1

View Badges
We will dive into this deeper in the future but "the cycle" is going beyond just making sure ammonia isn't an issue. To some degree just letting the tank run for a few months will dramatically increase success rates. Not just mortalities but also things as simple as reducing the chances algae or other pests takes over a new tank. I think the logic here is this isn't the first rodeo for people attempting a wall to wall SPS tank so being patient is just part of good practice :)

It is a good answer. Think of it like a bottle of wine. Wine is aged and released yet collectors and others in general will buy a case of something they like then stash it away and let it age even more. While the existing bottle is a great bottle the bottle that is stashed way and opened two years later is just that much better due to age. I think of a new tank in a similar way.

You can cycle the tank and get it ready to go and add fish and corals. It will do well. But the tank is still maturing. Maturing meaning biological filters, creatures growing, populations growing, and anything or everything that is making the circle of life in our boxes of water. Just my opinion has a go through my tanks upgrade after the cycle in April. Jan water, Feb start cycle, March it ends, leave lights off till mid April, then combine tanks and upgrade complete. However, I personally believe had I let it mature further say to October it would be in a better place biologically with a more rounded and mature food chain and provided a better place more inline with what the original 40 breeder originated from. Yes it is ready but it would have been better!

Remember the wine? You always steal the dusty bottle!!! (Note - I'm seriously kidding on the stealing part). But honestly it is the dusty bottles that people forget about that when opened....are amazing :)

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey BRS
I wasn't so into this series but now you have announced the setups I see where you are going and it is GONNA BE AWESOME.
My big question is around Live Rock. Originally I wanted to build my system with Pukani (which I bought). But then I kept seeing all the reefers with amazing results use live rock.
So I want to buy some liverock as supplemental but I want to quarantine it (with lights on) whilst my tank is cycling to do my best to significantly reduce the chance of introducing any nasty pests.
So I think this should be a big part of the series - how to get the best possible live rock into the tank. I am certain WWC try to ensure their live rock is safe.
So here are some questions I think it would be good to answer in the series:
1 - What are the things to look for when selecting live rock
2 - What are the pests that we absolutely don't want in our tanks (there are many critters people call pests like Bristleworms that may not matter or be beneficial).
3 - What is the time to QT that liverock without any fish - is it 13 weeks like a typical fallow period.
4 - What is the best method to get rid of those pests (like I was going to do a 13 week period and if there is anything left after that use methods from R2R to deal specifically with that pest (like a Copperband for Aptasia) before introducing it to the tank.

By the way I noted your comment on 4 months to cycle being too long. I am happy to hear that. Reefers can cut corners depending on their goals. I don't have the money to do it fast and would prefer to do it slowly. Then again I won't follow this exactly. I prefer LPS and will focus on that and add SPS later. I also want sand (because of the fish I really want). So I am going to say that I would be surprised if anyone follows this method exactly but I am sure it will form the foundation for many reefers and I am glad you will continue to do what you have always done - state what you believe should be best practice and let people go from there.

Thanks Ryan, Randy, BRS and WWC - it is looking like an awesome series.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start to the series guys. This will be a fantastic resource for the community and especially new reefers.

I can’t help but chuckle however.....having been at this hobby for close to two decades, it’s clear we’re just getting back to basics. This method is essentially the practices that allowed for successful reefs over a decade ago albeit with superior and more effective technologies.

I for one am happy to see a return to a less complicated, less micromanaged, less mad scientist method.

Interesting to see what will become of triton, zeovit, etc etc in the years to come.

ReefInskeep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always great for the community. Thank you, BRS.

I was a bit surprised by WWC’s insistence on “old, mature” live rock. Then again, a lot of successful reefers swear by it. Mike Paletta comes to mind.

I know it’s really difficult to find high quality live rock like that in a lot of places, unless you order it online at premium prices. Hopefully the BRSTV team will get rock from various online sources and compare them if live rock will be an important component.

I’ve heard good things about Tampa bay live rock from @d2mini, but that’s about it.

Cesar Ravan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while since I have been here.

To the BRS team, thank you for putting this together. I wanted to follow up on Pdiehm's question about the 3 to 6 months cycle. @Ryanbrs

I am starting a 400 gallons SPS dominant tank which is bare bottom. I am using mature rocks from my previous 220G (they are 2 year old rocks). After 3 weeks my ammonia and nitrite is 0. My nitrate is 25 ppm. I still think I have not completed the cycle which I wanted to wait much longer to get things more mature. My question is, during the 3 to 6 months (I was planning 1 year) before I start adding SPS - would you start adding fish and some softies during these 3 to 6 months? Does the WWC 3 months dark cycle mean no fish? This is the part I am not clear.

Thank you in advance

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey BRS
I wasn't so into this series but now you have announced the setups I see where you are going and it is GONNA BE AWESOME.
My big question is around Live Rock. Originally I wanted to build my system with Pukani (which I bought). But then I kept seeing all the reefers with amazing results use live rock.
So I want to buy some liverock as supplemental but I want to quarantine it (with lights on) whilst my tank is cycling to do my best to significantly reduce the chance of introducing any nasty pests.
So I think this should be a big part of the series - how to get the best possible live rock into the tank. I am certain WWC try to ensure their live rock is safe.
So here are some questions I think it would be good to answer in the series:
1 - What are the things to look for when selecting live rock
2 - What are the pests that we absolutely don't want in our tanks (there are many critters people call pests like Bristleworms that may not matter or be beneficial).
3 - What is the time to QT that liverock without any fish - is it 13 weeks like a typical fallow period.
4 - What is the best method to get rid of those pests (like I was going to do a 13 week period and if there is anything left after that use methods from R2R to deal specifically with that pest (like a Copperband for Aptasia) before introducing it to the tank.

By the way I noted your comment on 4 months to cycle being too long. I am happy to hear that. Reefers can cut corners depending on their goals. I don't have the money to do it fast and would prefer to do it slowly. Then again I won't follow this exactly. I prefer LPS and will focus on that and add SPS later. I also want sand (because of the fish I really want). So I am going to say that I would be surprised if anyone follows this method exactly but I am sure it will form the foundation for many reefers and I am glad you will continue to do what you have always done - state what you believe should be best practice and let people go from there.

Thanks Ryan, Randy, BRS and WWC - it is looking like an awesome series.

We are going to hit on this pretty hard in a couple weeks. I can tell you right now there is going to be a conundrum here because live rock is getting pretty difficult to acquire these days and a lot more expensive. Something that is likely going to continue.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard good things about Tampa bay live rock from @d2mini, but that’s about it.

And many places are getting busted by the feds now for illegal collection practices. TBS is the place to go to for live rock. [emoji106]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back