The Year in review

Bridgerdean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finished my first year in the reefing hobby. This was my first tank, and I have made some mistakes had a moderate crash, but learned a lot.
First off here is my FTS progress shots:
IMG_2335 (1).jpg

Here was where I started with an aquascape and a Craigslist tank.
IMG_2478.jpg

So here is where I ended up with the aquascape. I cycled for a few months.
IMG_2726.jpg

Here you can see the ugly phase winding down and the addition of my first frags. I also started dosing pods at this point.
IMG_0165.jpg

Here is the addition of my first fish and the Mandrin now that the pods are established. The clowns hosted the mushroom colony.
IMG_0237 (2).jpg

here you can see the addition of my first round of SPS frags.
IMG_1152.jpg

Here I am at about a year, you can see the growth on the SPS and the addition of the BTA.
IMG_1877.jpg

Here I am after my ATO/leak induced and current. I do need some help from the forums on what type of coral to put on the hook at the center of the tank I need some thing that encrusts and can tolerate high PAR. (SPS level) I can't do acropora because I break them when I have to reach into the tank.

IMG_1766.jpg

Here is my ATO/leak that caused a moderate tank crash. I had just filled my 55gallon drum with RODI water, and over the course of 12 hours the tank leaked about this amount in the fishroom due to a leaky bulkhead. Fortunately there was a drain. The leak was slow enough that some water would leak and then the ATO would replace it. This went on for 12 hours until the ATO was out of water. My tank was now a brackish tank rather than a saltwater tank. (1.010 or so) I have been working it back up by topping off with saltwater and I am at 1.020 with a plan to get to 1.025.

I lost a lot of SPS. Some of the Euphilia. but on I go.

Here are some of my proud moments:

IMG_0177 (2).jpg

My Mandrin and Yellow Tang

IMG_1157.jpg

A yellow tang and a few corals

IMG_1831.jpg

My BTA that split into 3 and now the 2 sexy shrimp host this BTA

IMG_1833 (1).jpg

LSOH

IMG_1837.jpg

Here is the fishroom shot with the leaky fuge (now replaced) and the larger bottles of 2 ALK, MAG, CA, and Balling.

IMG_0958.jpg

This has been my favorite part when one of my children will come down and help with maintain the tanks. This is little bear who is in charge of organizing the Zoas.

I have learned a lot over the past year. It has been challenging. I had to learn a lot of lessons, and figure out a lot of new stuff. I have an order of SPS coming in to replace what I loss. So my plan this year is to maintain the stability and hopefully get those guys growing again.

Thank you for all the support, and also if you have an idea for an encrusting coral on the "hook" in the center of the tank please let me know. IMG_1884.jpg

Last edited:

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on one year in reefing. So sorry to hear about your tank leak and loss of life did the drop in salinity. So glad to see you are resilient enough to keep at it though. Those can be throw in the towel moments.

Would love some more details on the tank. Size, lighting, filtration. It looks like you were well on your way to having it dialed in before "the incident."
As far as an encrusting coral, maybe some type of encrusting monti. But be careful with them as they can start to take over more real estate than you want them too.

OP
OP
Bridgerdean

Bridgerdean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on one year in reefing. So sorry to hear about your tank leak and loss of life did the drop in salinity. So glad to see you are resilient enough to keep at it though. Those can be throw in the towel moments.

Would love some more details on the tank. Size, lighting, filtration. It looks like you were well on your way to having it dialed in before "the incident."
As far as an encrusting coral, maybe some type of encrusting monti. But be careful with them as they can start to take over more real estate than you want them too.

Size: 110 display 20 Sump 20 frag and 10 Fuge so 160 or so
Lighting:
Display: 4 T5s, a AI hydra64 and 2 AI hydra26
Frag: AI hydra32
Fuge: AI 16 Fuge light
Filtration: 2 4" filter socks, Fuge, and large protien skimmer

I was thinking monti but can they tolerate the light?

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found them to be tolerant of a fairly large range of light levels. You will probably want to start it lower in the tank and slowly work it up to the high point.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back